A question for all you Aphonopelma lovers.

Rhyce

Arachnopeon
So what is the difference between Aphonopelma Chalcodes. & Aphonopelma Sp. New river ..... ?

Thanks - Rhys

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
Probably where they were collected.

I think most people consider them to be the same species but different colouration. But really, who knows right now? Spiders are at the bottom of the totem pole for classification.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
There's an Aphonopelma revision in the works, that will invalidate a number of species, and add a bunch more. Problem with Aphono's is that many look similar to a hobbyist, and we don't know what differentiates them at this point.

There are some very attractive Aphono's inside and outside of the US.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Like Poec said. The revision is in the works. I just spoke with Dr. Hendrixson via email this morning and he said they're all chalcodes. The spiders in Tucson are the same as the spiders in Prescott and everywhere in between, New River, AZ included. His manuscript will be released sometime early next year, and all will be elucidated. :)

From his email to me:
"After collecting new data, we suspect the Prescott “chalcodes” is indeed A. chalcodes after all… one dataset suggested something different but our more robust (and reliable) dataset suggests otherwise. We are in the final stages of preparing the manuscript for submission and will announce when it is published (probably early 2016)."

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Like Poec said. The revision is in the works. I just spoke with Dr. Hendrixson via email this morning and he said they're all chalcodes. The spiders in Tucson are the same as the spiders in Prescott and everywhere in between, New River, AZ included. His manuscript will be released sometime early next year, and all will be elucidated. :)

From his email to me:
"After collecting new data, we suspect the Prescott “chalcodes” is indeed A. chalcodes after all… one dataset suggested something different but our more robust (and reliable) dataset suggests otherwise. We are in the final stages of preparing the manuscript for submission and will announce when it is published (probably early 2016)."
Thanks!!!

I have some chalcodes; they're beautiful.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thanks!!!

I have some chalcodes; they're beautiful.
Haven't had a chance to own one yet but my A.seemani is a treat...might be digging her up soon as I haven't seen her in like 5 months

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Haven't had a chance to own one yet but my A.seemani is a treat...might be digging her up soon as I haven't seen her in like 5 months
5 months? Wow! You have a LOT of patience! If you dig her out, you need to take pix so you can remember what she looks like when she re-burrows. lol

It may have been you who originally wrote that A seemanni dig/build elaborate burrows. So I gave mine a hide but also what I felt was deep enough substrate for her to build an underground labyrinth. Nothing. She didn't even dig under her hide! She is one of my most 'out in the open' and easily viewed Ts. An excellent eater also. Of course, mine isn't a sling either but a 5"ish adult female. Mine didn't even bother with dirt curtains on hide entrances for her last moult.

Ts really do have their own personalities.

awiec

Arachnoprince
5 months? Wow! You have a LOT of patience! If you dig her out, you need to take pix so you can remember what she looks like when she re-burrows. lol

It may have been you who originally wrote that A seemanni dig/build elaborate burrows. So I gave mine a hide but also what I felt was deep enough substrate for her to build an underground labyrinth. Nothing. She didn't even dig under her hide! She is one of my most 'out in the open' and easily viewed Ts. An excellent eater also. Of course, mine isn't a sling either but a 5"ish adult female. Mine didn't even bother with dirt curtains on hide entrances for her last moult.

Ts really do have their own personalities.
Yup that's my girl, she has an intense maze of tunnels and has a trap door too. I still put some water in there and smell the cage to make sure I don't smell rotting flesh but it has been a long while since I've seen her.