Avicularia avicularia sling housing

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
There's a 0.75 A. avicularia sling in my near future... Any comments on the enclosure are appreciated. It's 4 inches high, 2 inches square. Should I get rid of the water dish/too big/drowning hazard? Sufficient non top level ventilation holes? I made it "upside down" for opening without disturbing the webbing on top. Thanks!

Screenshot_2015-07-28-22-25-57.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Looks good, I use those Amac cubes for my Avic slings as well.
The only problem is that every time you open it the webbing attached to the stick will tear its tube open.
I took tiny pieces of cork bark, very small screw and attached it to the inside top. Now I can open it and not damage the home it works hard to make.
1st one is empty, next two are occupied ;)
Slings wont drown they float! keep it in and full

IMAG0828.jpg
IMAG0829.jpg
IMAG0830.jpg

Last edited:

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
Awesome enclosures and t's! I was considering hot gluing the little branch/some bark to the top. I think I will do that.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Definitely drill holes in the top. I own several Avics and find holes in the top extremely useful for adding drops of water after a molt. They don't always come down to drink, some will some won't.

Also, I did what the above poster did for container design, and some Avics will come down and spin silk from the bottom of the cork to the floor, totally covering the floor. One of my minatrix does this all the time. In short, it doesn't matter how you design their home, they will do as they see fit haha

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
Definitely drill holes in the top. I own several Avics and find holes in the top extremely useful for adding drops of water after a molt. They don't always come down to drink, some will some won't.

Also, I did what the above poster did for container design, and some Avics will come down and spin silk from the bottom of the cork to the floor, totally covering the floor. One of my minatrix does this all the time. In short, it doesn't matter how you design their home, they will do as they see fit haha
I had read in other areas here that I should avoid top holes because it would dry out the enclosure faster and inhibit development of the microclimate. All my terrestrials have top holes so this one I made specially with an arboreal in mind... So you're suggesting I use one or two on top just for water? I can see the benefit in that. Always learning. I guess I will see over time what works and what doesn't. Thanks.

Lol as far as the bottom webbing... We will see what it feels like doing! Thanks.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have at least 4 holes in the top, one for each corner. I don't worry about creating a more humid microclimate.

cold blood

Staff member
The stick and plant you have in there are inadequate. I'd put something a little flatter in there (this will give the t a better foothold as well as a place to spread out on), leaned against the side, then add enough plants to surround the top, providing both cover and anchor points for their webbing. Its way too barren right now, t's don't like to feel exposed.

As for the top, I also put just a few holes in the top, but very few and I'll make them smaller as well. A syringe will be useful in adding water droplets to the webbing as well as filling the dish without disrupting the t. You actually have enough vents near the top as it is to easily add water droplets without the need to go through the top.

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
Screenshot_2015-07-29-21-24-05-1.jpg

OK so I found this little doo dad which is just a leaf with a suction cup on the end, meant for betta, left over in my pet supply area. I stuck it to the top of the enclosure which should give the Avic some room to spread out/sit and more general surface area for webbing.

So far so good! She/it seems content and has begun a wild webbing spree around all the stuff inside.

. 0729152116.jpg

Another view.

0729152115.jpg

She sure is cute.

0729152117.jpg

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
Is feeding a pain with that style of enclosure?
So far it has been kind of complicated. I don't want to flip it upside down to throw the cricket in the Web because she tends to run upward... I've been putting it on the leaf lip and the next morning she always has it in her web.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So far it has been kind of complicated. I don't want to flip it upside down to throw the cricket in the Web because she tends to run upward... I've been putting it on the leaf lip and the next morning she always has it in her web.
You can put the cricket on the ground floor and they can detect them. All of my Avics eat this way.

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
I'm thinking of doing something like this for a 1 inch Avicularia versicolor. www.JamiesTarantulas.com has a bundle with a 1 inch A. versicolor and a "spiderling arboreal enclosure" that is something like what you have set up. I'll keep him in there until he reaches the specified 2 inch limit and then move him into the setup available here: http://www.joshsfrogs.com/tarantula-complete-kit-8x8x12.html
This was actually a terrestrial Jamie's enclosure for a spiderling, I flipped it upside down and made holes. I am getting a versicolor this Saturday. Almost ordered from Jamie again but I found one a better price and larger locally. Good luck!

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
I think I'm becoming obsessed with creating miniature sling enclosures. I don't even have another arboreal sling yet to put in this one :angelic:. This was actually a wristwatch display case. I also experimented with some super strong magnets instead of just hot gluing directly to the enclosure. Seems to hold strong and also allows the water dish to be closer to the living area. Am I crazy or might this actually work? I have my t's on a bookshelf but only downside I could see was using the magnets on those metal rack shelving I see a lot of members using.

2015-08-27_20.51.03.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
Vent holes should be in the upper half;)

And there's no real reason to elevate the water dish.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think I'm becoming obsessed with creating miniature sling enclosures. I don't even have another arboreal sling yet to put in this one :angelic:. This was actually a wristwatch display case. I also experimented with some super strong magnets instead of just hot gluing directly to the enclosure. Seems to hold strong and also allows the water dish to be closer to the living area. Am I crazy or might this actually work? I have my t's on a bookshelf but only downside I could see was using the magnets on those metal rack shelving I see a lot of members using.

View attachment 138564
Where'd you get those magnets? It's a good idea, there's a herp company that makes things for herps, called Magnanaturals, their magnets can support an adult Crested Gecko, so I KNOW some magnets out there can support a dish and/or a T.

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
Where'd you get those magnets? It's a good idea, there's a herp company that makes things for herps, called Magnanaturals, their magnets can support an adult Crested Gecko, so I KNOW some magnets out there can support a dish and/or a T.
PSA: don't click on the first search suggestion for Magnanaturals.

I got the magnets off eBay for $1.98 for ten.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
PSA: don't click on the first search suggestion for Magnanaturals.

I got the magnets off eBay for $1.98 for ten.
Well that's mildly helpful. As not all magnets are created equally. Maybe the seller had a great set and you're the last one to buy them and the next batch isn't as good, bummer

JustSomeDude

Arachnopeon
Can you get away with 5 gallon x large critter keepers for arboreal t slings ? So long as you keep the climate appropriate and something to climb on would this form of housing be acceptable or should I just buy a bulk order of those 5 inch tall canisters?