Beginner T's

Frazier_05

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,
I am considering getting back into T's. I had a Rosehair a few years back, but she eventually died, from apparent natural causes. I'm looking for advice on another beginner T, be it arboreal or terrestrial, no matter. Thanks for all the help.

Brett

morda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Arboreal - P.cambridgei
Terrestial - A.geniculata or B. smithi/vagans/boehmei

I would choose cambridgei, but look out - it's fast :)

Citharischius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Frazier_05 said:
Hi,
I am considering getting back into T's. I had a Rosehair a few years back, but she eventually died, from apparent natural causes. I'm looking for advice on another beginner T, be it arboreal or terrestrial, no matter. Thanks for all the help.

Brett
I think , if you dont care about the defensive ways some species can be, you could have any spider you would like .
I began with C.huahini , when I really didn't have that much experiences with Tarantula's. I saw them at my boyfriends house , and I read about them . But excually , now that I have some defensive species , I realize there is no real beginner Tarantula .
Just take the one you really like . If you like spiders that make a real home , spiders who web a lot (I'm sory for my bad english , I'm just a 16year old girl from the Netherlands) than take an afrikan or azian specie .
A poecilotheria for example is a really interessting specie . She's beautiful and not that defensive at all !
Or a Haplopelma , Ceratogyrus , Chilobrachys , name it !

Greets
Jamy (with her really bad english :eek: )

morda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Poecilotheria - not deffensive.. but she has strong venom.
You said that You had a rosie. Maybe You can buy some more interesting T - P.murinus for example. You can handle it, don't worry. You need to be carefull and that's it!

Frazier_05

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you all for your help. I will look into each and every one of those species. Thanks again.

Brett

Citharischius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Morda , I agree with you that Poeci's venom is strong , but would she bite ? I dont think so :)

A pterinochilus is such a beautiful T. ! I've got one adult female RCF. I think this could be a good beginner Tarantula , but only if you got the right tank .

Frazier_05

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Citharischius, your english is fine. Haha! Don't worry about it.

Brett

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Handle a P.murinus ?? I dont think that is a really good idea for someone just getting into spiders ?? I have a small one and they are pretty defensive...if you want to handle get a chaco golden knee (G. aureostriatum)

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

morda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I saw once a very deffensive regalis. It was attacking every thing.
I got sub-adult P.murinus female (normal form). She's quite deffensive but only in her web. Without web she's very cowardly spider.

morda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mike H. - You got the wrong meaning. My mistake.

Handle - in meaning that he can have this spider, he can manage to have him. Don't know how to describe it - my english is not very good.

Of course don't take murinus on Your hand. Handling this spider is not a good idea.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL...I thought you were recomending that he handle this T.

Regards, Mike :D

Citharischius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've got an adult female Poeci and an adult female Pterinochilus , Both beautiful , both to look out for . But I think you should handle every specie with respect . If its a brachypelma nor a Stromatopelma . hihi .

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Didymus said:
Avicularia's, Brachypelma's and Grammastola's are just fine.
I agree because some of the ts that were mentioned are not good beginner Ts like the Pokies and such. I would stick to the Avic,Brachys and Grammastola tarantulas. :)

Frazier_05

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks everyone for helping me out. Oh and by the way I more than likely will not attempt handling my arachnids. I like to "study" their movements in their cages, not on my hands. Thanks anyways though. Oh, I have almost completely decided to go with a Red Knee or a Pinktoe, can't decide between the two.

Brett

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i began with an A. seemani, and have done just fine with that and every other T since, but another one i really like for a beginner is the e. campestratus. mine has been great! calm, friendly (as far a T's go, ya know) and just a great pet! My kids love it!

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
P.S. .....my pink toe is awesome, a very beautiful T, and as long as you don't want to handle it, it is a good one, too. mine is like lightning, though! I was trying to change the substrate the other day and usually it lets you reach in with no problem. Well this time around, it decided to climb onto my hand..ok, no big deal, right?...it then proceeded to shoot up my arm, over my shoulder, and down my back before i could blink! my husband was laughing so hard, i had to practically hit him over the head to grab the damn spider before it jumped or fell! two years, and this is the first time it has ever done that...go figure. but since you don't want to hold it, it is a great T!