Is my centipede molting

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have over 4" scolopendra heros castaneceps centipede that is laying straight and pulsating lifting head and tail at the same time. I am new to centipedes but this behavior resembles the pulsating I see tarantulas do during a molt. Is this molting behavior?https://vimeo.com/134805866

---------- Post added 07-29-2015 at 12:39 AM ----------

Ok checked on my centipede appears to be greyish something that appears to be coming out posterior end is it possible this is a female laying eggs? I don't want to move enclosure to get a better look. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No this was the small 4 1/2 inch one that used to move the wood around and escaped. I recovered it but this is what it started doing. Just pulsating. Now my large centipede is getting thick and didn't eat today it was laying out straight also is this a sign of molt coming up?

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
No this was the small 4 1/2 inch one that used to move the wood around and escaped. I recovered it but this is what it started doing. Just pulsating. Now my large centipede is getting thick and didn't eat today it was laying out straight also is this a sign of molt coming up?
Not really, mine typically hide before a molt. How much have you fed it how often and what kind of food? Also how moist is your enclosure?

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I feed twice a week about 3 to 4 crickets depending on size of crickets. It's staying at the moist end of aquarium. The main reason I was thinking a molt was conning up is because its getting pretty thick. I ran out of crickets and the centipede went 8 days without feeding this last time but still wasn't interested in eating. Could be just full but its also on occasion laying straight out not curled like when sleeping. I might just be pariniod after watching my smaller centipede die.

arachnothing

Arachnopeon
Egg laying is usually a secretive act as well....Can you describe what is coming out of posterior? I hope not, but it sounds like possible parasitic
issue.....

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Egg laying is usually a secretive act as well....Can you describe what is coming out of posterior? I hope not, but it sounds like possible parasitic
issue.....
The 4.5" inch centipede had gotten out of enclosure 2 days before this pulsating behavior started about a day after recovering it. The centipede made it into the kitchen so I have no idea what it could have gotten into. Sadly the centipede died 2 days after this video.the original video was posted weeks ago.
A friend brought the old post back up asking about the smaller centipede.
The second part of my reply is conserning my larger 7" centipede which is pretty thick now and I saw it laying straight as a board inwich is unusual for this centipede. I was just concerned because my smaller centipede did this before it started pulsating and died.
I am used to tarantulas and some true spiders but recently new to centipedes.

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
I think your bigger one should be fine because my Female Casaniceps lays out straight all the time in the open because she is super comfortable in her enclosure and feels safe. The pulsating is usually from chemical exposure or excessive stress can cause it too. IMO you don't have anything to worry about but if you could pm me and then I'll have you email me some pics of it and the enclosure so I can make a more accurate opinion. On what may be happening.

The 4.5" inch centipede had gotten out of enclosure 2 days before this pulsating behavior started about a day after recovering it. The centipede made it into the kitchen so I have no idea what it could have gotten into. Sadly the centipede died 2 days after this video.the original video was posted weeks ago.
A friend brought the old post back up asking about the smaller centipede.
The second part of my reply is conserning my larger 7" centipede which is pretty thick now and I saw it laying straight as a board inwich is unusual for this centipede. I was just concerned because my smaller centipede did this before it started pulsating and died.
I am used to tarantulas and some true spiders but recently new to centipedes.