Tips on Shipping in Extreme Heat

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
How's it going everyone? So I'm faced with a bit of a problem. I am due to send 2 juvie/ immature females that I recently sold out. The problem is weather here in memphis is crazy right now. It is in the 80's (Fahrenheit) as I was typing this but it was over 100 (Fahrenheit) yesterday. It looks like we are going to get a bit of rain next week which should cool the temps down to the mid to high 90's or lower (if I am lucky). I need help coming up with the best method of shipping these T's in this weather.

Any ideas? A combination of cold packs and heat packs perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Best to simply wait till the temps are a bit milder, like after a little cold front hits....then add a cold pack, just make sure its not up against the t's and is taped to a side of the box to prevent unwanted shifting.

FireSpider

Arachnopeon
It's apparently very possible to ship Ts in extremely hot weather. I have a package in the mail right now coming to me from Texas, where I know it's well over 100 degrees. The seller is a well-known professional dealer who ships with LAG, so I have to assume he has a system for packing them so they don't cook. If you'd like, I'll snap a few pictures of how they were packed when I get the package and unbox them tomorrow.

Burchling

Arachnopeon
How's it going everyone? So I'm faced with a bit of a problem. I am due to send 2 juvie/ immature females that I recently sold out. The problem is weather here in memphis is crazy right now. It is in the 80's (Fahrenheit) as I was typing this but it was over 100 (Fahrenheit) yesterday. It looks like we are going to get a bit of rain next week which should cool the temps down to the mid to high 90's or lower (if I am lucky). I need help coming up with the best method of shipping these T's in this weather.

Any ideas? A combination of cold packs and heat packs perhaps?
personally, I would recommend the obvious... Spraying down each container's paper towels until a little more than damp. NOT SOAKED. The reality of a cold pack is that they don't last as long as they need to... However if you do use one, make sure you insulate the box with styrofoam panels to make it like one of those cheap gas-station coolers. Other than that, I'd say the only other thing, besides the usual precautions is to ship it overnight. The longer it is in the box, the more variable come into play. Hope this helped...

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
personally, I would recommend the obvious... Spraying down each container's paper towels until a little more than damp. NOT SOAKED. The reality of a cold pack is that they don't last as long as they need to... However if you do use one, make sure you insulate the box with styrofoam panels to make it like one of those cheap gas-station coolers. Other than that, I'd say the only other thing, besides the usual precautions is to ship it overnight. The longer it is in the box, the more variable come into play. Hope this helped...
I always ship with damp paper towels in plastic jars from taps plastics in an insulated Styrofoam box inside a cardboard box but I have always shipped in good temps. Would you recommend placing the cool pack inside or outside the Styrofoam box? Also will the cool temps (mid to low 60's) at my local PO cause the package to become too cold when I add the cold pack? Also what kind of cold pack do you recommend?

Last edited:

Burchling

Arachnopeon
I always ship with damp paper towels in plastic jars from taps plastics in an insulated Styrofoam box inside a cardboard box but I have always shipped in good temps. Would you recommend placing the cool pack inside or outside the Styrofoam box? Also will the cool temps (mid to low 60's) at my local PO cause the package to become too cold when I add the cold pack? Also what kind of cold pack do you recommend?
To be totally honest with you, I've never seen the need to use a cold pack. Mainly because most of them just don't last long enough. In the end all it would do is add weight to the package... What I do instead, is what Jamie Lessie (from Jamiestarantulas.com) does is to take another paper towel, wet it, and surround the OUTSIDE of the vial the T is in as well. I've had several shipments arrive after 3 days of being shipped in the summer heat of Houston, TX only to open the box to find the T's enclosures cool and damp to the touch. In other words: perfect. Just make sure you have the styrofoam lining, and wad up some newspaper around the T's vials that are damp on the inside wadding, and wrapped in damp paper towels on the outside. I hope this helps and isn't too complicated. What is really great about this hobby is people are usually willing to go out of their way to help one another. If you go to Jamie's website that I mentioned earlier and email her your questions, I'm sure she would be more than happy to help if I haven't described what you need to do efficiently enough for you :). Have a good one arachnosmack!

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
To be totally honest with you, I've never seen the need to use a cold pack. Mainly because most of them just don't last long enough. In the end all it would do is add weight to the package... What I do instead, is what Jamie Lessie (from Jamiestarantulas.com) does is to take another paper towel, wet it, and surround the OUTSIDE of the vial the T is in as well. I've had several shipments arrive after 3 days of being shipped in the summer heat of Houston, TX only to open the box to find the T's enclosures cool and damp to the touch. In other words: perfect. Just make sure you have the styrofoam lining, and wad up some newspaper around the T's vials that are damp on the inside wadding, and wrapped in damp paper towels on the outside. I hope this helps and isn't too complicated. What is really great about this hobby is people are usually willing to go out of their way to help one another. If you go to Jamie's website that I mentioned earlier and email her your questions, I'm sure she would be more than happy to help if I haven't described what you need to do efficiently enough for you :). Have a good one arachnosmack!
I have to agree with almost all of this info and would also add that wrapping the styrofoam with aluminum foil also helps in extreme heat. I shipped 5 scorpions to Texas in 100+ and box got delayed 5 days and all were just fine also ship to AZ in same temps and all were fine again. Lots of moisture , good insulation + keeping everything firmly in place should work for you as well.

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
All good advice. If you can add AM shipping before noon that will help loads. Otherwise it might be last drop and the box will sit all day in a hot truck.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
All good advice. If you can add AM shipping before noon that will help loads. Otherwise it might be last drop and the box will sit all day in a hot truck.
Yep I forgot to mention that also as I send all mine in AM :)

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
So should I even bother with the cold packs or just ship with damp paper towels both in and surrounding the containers holding the T's and hope for the best? Highs here are 95-97 for the next 15 days. Temps where the package will be delivered are about the same accept for friday where the high is 101.

Last edited:

Burchling

Arachnopeon
So should I even bother with the cold packs or just ship with damp paper towels both in and surrounding the containers holding the T's and hope for the best? Highs here are 95-97 for the next 15 days. Temps where the package will be delivered are about the same accept for friday where the high is 101.
I would skip the cold packs and just wet the paper towels. Make sure they're nice and moist, not soaking wet but, not wrung out...When you feel it, you will know ;) I believe in you. I've even seen people use wet toilet paper to form the inside of the vials because it's easy to sculpt into a perfect cylinder. A cold pack might actually make them too cold while the coldpack is working if they are already wet and covered in towels... So I say skip it. They will make it safe and sound. They are a lot hardier than we give them credit for... however if one molts during shipping, who knows what can happen. Some make it, some don't it just depends. Hopefully that won't happen though! Good luck! Let us know how everything goes. Also, if you are planning on shipping it tomorrow...don't. Wait until Monday. Even if you pay for overnight, it probably won't get there until Monday. So the T's will be in transit for 3 days basically. If you ship on Monday, overnight, they will get there no problem. I wouldn't take the risk. If you're selling these to someone, let them know the risk as well but ultimately you must do as they wish if they are paying customers. They are always right... *cough*cough*

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
I would skip the cold packs and just wet the paper towels. Make sure they're nice and moist, not soaking wet but, not wrung out...When you feel it, you will know ;) I believe in you. I've even seen people use wet toilet paper to form the inside of the vials because it's easy to sculpt into a perfect cylinder. A cold pack might actually make them too cold while the coldpack is working if they are already wet and covered in towels... So I say skip it. They will make it safe and sound. They are a lot hardier than we give them credit for... however if one molts during shipping, who knows what can happen. Some make it, some don't it just depends. Hopefully that won't happen though! Good luck! Let us know how everything goes. Also, if you are planning on shipping it tomorrow...don't. Wait until Monday. Even if you pay for overnight, it probably won't get there until Monday. So the T's will be in transit for 3 days basically. If you ship on Monday, overnight, they will get there no problem. I wouldn't take the risk. If you're selling these to someone, let them know the risk as well but ultimately you must do as they wish if they are paying customers. They are always right... *cough*cough*
Both specimens have molted within the past month so I don't think there will be problems there. Okay I will use the wet paper towel/TP method. I will most likely be shipping monday or tuesday.