Mature adult male Brachypelma vagans question

Mattkc

Arachnopeon
I have a beautiful 5" Adult Male Brachypelma vagans that just molted and now has large spurs on his front legs!
How long will he live in this final molt stage? When is the best time to offer him for breeding?
Thanks

cold blood

Staff member
I have a beautiful 5" Adult Male Brachypelma vagans that just molted and now has large spurs on his front legs!
How long will he live in this final molt stage? When is the best time to offer him for breeding?
Thanks
How long he lasts will vary greatly, but I'd bet 6mo to a year wouldn't be unexpected.

As for the best time to offer him for breeding....after he makes a sperm web and loads his palps, he's ready to go. Probably a week or three after he hardens up.

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Jumping in on this as I have a b. smithi and I am sure it's similar - I have read varying answers on this, would like the experts. My MM b. smithi molted about 2 weeks ago, made his first sperm web last night. Currently looking for a female.

What is the best case and worst case time frame he has for being a viable male for breeding projects? Not talking about when he may pass on, but how long he can keep making sperm webs -- I know it may vary, but maybe some parameters.

Thanks.