How long before you got stung?

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i was wondering about this for a bit after looking at the sting reports, so mike-troll is void of this thread {D

ive been keeping scorps since, well, oddly enough, 9-11 last year, so im going to my 1 year mark, and i have yet to be stung, by any of them, my brother got stung by one of my S. Maurus while we were moving scorps into new cages, and before all this, he said i was going to get stung and it was going to be good, so far, almost 10 months and no stings, came very close a few times, scariest was with the A. Australis, wow that was heart pounding

so heres the question, how long have you been keeping scorps and how soon into it did you first get stung?

Wolvie

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
for about 7 years (only 2 years with anything but euscorpius)
i got stung 2 weeks after i got my 1st emperor, as they "operate" differently than euscorpius, the vile little bastard,
so 2 years ago :p

WorldTour

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fergrim said:
what'd you do to make the emperor sting you?
You must not have heard stories about Mr. Carnell's Emp... the thing is insane & odd looking (I still don't think its an Emperor)

-Mark

WorldTour

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I made the mistake of starting my scorpion hobby by keeping hot scorpions without proper experience. I had some H. arizonas, A. australis and a couple others for nearly two years before getting tagged by the A. australis. That experience caused me to give up collecting for awhile and when i got back into itI started like I should have in the first place by buying Emps. I got tagged by my first emp two days after I picked it up.

-mark

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
and you too, sir, World tour, what did you do to get stung? :)

WorldTour

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was seting up the enclosure and had it in a bowl which got knocked off of the counter and not thinking I just reached out to catch it and well, I caught it a little to tightly.

-mark

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"I was seting up the enclosure and had it in a bowl which got knocked off of the counter and not thinking I just reached out to catch it and well, I caught it a little to tightly.

-mark"

the A. Australis or the H. Arizonensis?

i almost got tagged by an A. Australis while i was dropping a cricket in front of it, the stinger went right up my finger nail, didnt pierce the skin, but the venom on my finger nail said 'man you are so screwed' if i woulda got stung, it was alotta venom for not even piercing

Wolvie

WorldTour

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh sorry, that was when i first got the Emperor. I usually talk to Fegrim about Emps so i ssumed thats what he was asking about.

The A. australis was completely my own fault, I was cleaning its enclosure before a friend showed up to go shoot some pool and had it in a deli cup. I was in a bit of a hurry and thinking I was an expert (which I wasn't) I just reached in and tried to grab it... it moved quickly and nailed the side of my hand near my index finger. Worst night of my life.
-Mark

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
have u made a sting report? ill check {D
lol i tryed the same with my hottentotta polysticus, but i didnt try to grab it, i touch its tail to test its alertness, and yes it is fast :eek:

lol, my emp IS just crazy, it really doesnt like me at all, and hisses when i pick it up, which i dont do anymore lol
i think it is an emp, just a couple of screws loose in its little scorpion head ;P

Attachments

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've only ever been stung once by a B. occitanus which was really quite unpleasant so I don't want to do it again or recommend it to anyone. If you've come anywhere near being stung by a really hot scorpion then your being way too reckless, I never put my hand in my A. australis cage under any circumstance, its 30cm metal forceps everytime.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In the 20 years that I have kept scorpions, I still have not been stung, I was almost stung by Leiurus quinquestriatus in the first few years of keeping, and that scared me so much, that ever since then, I have used tools and methods that have thus far prevented it. Living in the frigid North my chances of getting stung will probably be the highest while vacationing somewhere that I can't see it coming. I suppose I may be a little too cautious, knock on wood.

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Fergrim said:
George, that doesn't look anything like any emperor I've seen, lol. Is it a cavimanus? I heard they have reddish claws..
Its the lighting mine gets it all the time. Nice research btw :)

Last edited by a moderator:

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
no the claws are definately red... but it is an emperor, we discussed this before, on my scorp there is granulation on the picers, which is not present in p.cavimanus
see pic :eek:

Attachments

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Lol No Its Just Special!!!!

EDIT: also its only 6th instar... so still 2 moults left

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
about 9cm long, i bought it at 3rd instar, and every moult its claws ger redder and redder, they started out black/brown