Successful OBT rehousing.

REvan342

Arachnopeon
So I decided to rehouse my OBT because her legspan was close to that of the deli cup she was in, and I didn't want to risk having a "Jack in the box" moment with this spider.

Her new housing has about 1.5 X the floor space, and is 2.5 times higher than the standard deli cup. I checked on her just a moment ago, and she has already webbed one of the upper corners of the enclosure.

She seems to be happy!

cold blood

Staff member
Here spider spider...in the new home lil guy....good spider....here's a mealworm, stop begging.

REvan342

Arachnopeon
So how'd you do it?
I placed her deli cup into the larger container, readied the lid, opened the deli cup, tossed a cricket in, and waited for the OBT to GTFO..... After a few minutes she took the bait, and when she had the cricket I removed the deli cup. Easy peasy mate.

cold blood

Staff member
I can honestly say I've never even considered using food as "bait" for a re-house.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
OP - Congrats on successful OBT rehouse!

I can honestly say I've never even considered using food as "bait" for a re-house.
Hmmm, I just did that about an hour ago.....twice!

Bait method: C fimbri fling had outgrown souflle' cup, but would not leave it. I set it inside juvie enclosure, removed lid, expecting a bolt. No go. I proceeded to flood him out; but he sat stubbornly on top of old webbing and still refused to leave his old cup. I tossed in a juvie roach next to him -- he grabbed it and took off into new home. I removed souffle cup and put lid on new enclosure. He's eating his roach as we speak. (Tbh, had his webbing not been so tightly adhered to cup sides, I'd have lifted out full webbed up clump and rehoused that way -- I don't like flooding out a T).

G pulchripes 3" juvie is crazy bolter, runs around, won't sit still long enough to cup him -- gave him a cricket and then easy peasy to paintbrush prod him gently on rump into sulkily walking into his new adult enclosure. He never let go of his crix. To be fair, he did climb the wall with the cricket for about 10 minutes, then realized he'd be happier eating on a horizontal surface.

Also just rehoused 4 froglets tonight also, but that isn't T related.....

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
been there.. it worked.. made them level and used a dubia as bait.. dubia was seen.. T adjusted... i moved it further away as she walked up the cage, once her front legs touched sub of the upgrade cage she got a snack XD not to hard XD idk what made me try it, she was calm i coulda probably used my hand or the normal cup, but something made me think "i wonder if i can use food" XD but it worked