Stromtopelma Adventures

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
While upgrading cages for some Stromatopelma juveniles (around 3"), one ran on the shelving unit and disappeared. I use the big beige free-standing plastic shelf units from Home Depot and there's a hole on each shelf on the underside, about an inch in diameter, from when the plastic is in molds. As luck would have it, the spider zipped right in that hole; there didn't seem to be any other holes elsewhere it could emerge from. I used several layers of wide masking tape to hold a piece of clear, hard plastic over the hole. That bought me some time to come up with a plan.

They're a fast and alert species, quite agile, good eyesight, and if I just untaped the hole, I doubted I could catch it while it came out (using a catch cup). No doubt it would make me look pretty foolish (more than it already had). After careful consideration during the day, I decided to lure it out into a trap:

- Using what I had available, I cut the bottom out of a 3" long clear plastic vial.
- Cut a slightly smaller hole in the lid of a deli cup, and securely taped the vial to the outside of the deli cup lid (masking tape).
- Set up a 32 oz deli cup with the usual accoutrements: top soil, cork slab, some long fiber sphagnum under the cork (nest), and a small water bowl.
- Snapped the lid contraption onto the 32 oz cup.
- To get it to the right height, I put an empty 32 oz deli cup and lid under it, and with a few paper plates to press the vial snuggly against the shelf hole. There could be no gaps.
- Equipment prepared, I untaped the hole, and set the trap in place. The plan was to gently slide the cup/vial away from the hole and screw the lid on the vial. I turned off the lights and left the room. Then I waited...

A few hours later I tip-toed in the room with a flashlight. The spider was in the vial, and as soon as it saw my light, it darted back into the shelf hole. Alright. Next visit, it was in the deli cup, upside down on the lid. More careful with the flashlight this time. I touched the cup and it dashed into the vial, but not up into the shelf, although it could in a millisecond. While not quite what I wanted, these were promising developments: it had an attraction to the deli cup, maybe from having been raised in one, and the cup was a lot more interesting than being stuck inside a shelf all day in the dark. At this point we were an equal match in intelligence, or so it seemed.

To finally get the upper hand over an arachnid with a brain a fraction the size of mine, I cut a piece of stiff cardboard to slide between the vial and the shelf, to block the spider's escape route. I knew that once I touched anything, even if it were deep down in the deli cup, it would probably scramble up to the vial and the security of the shelf. Third visit (same night): It was in the deli cup (too much temptation!). I set the flashlight down so it wasn't shining on the spider as much, and quickly slid the cardboard in place and held it firmly against the top of the vial. The spider darted around, back and forth between the cup and vial, and when it was down in the cup, I screwed the lid on the vial. Success!

When it's calmed down, I can replace the modified lid with a regular one, and then transfer it to a new cage.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Ahhh, yes. The pleasure of being forced to solve puzzles after being outsmarted and outmaneuvered by an invertebrate.

And people have no clue why I enjoy this hobby so much.

Good thinking, and good to see a 'happy' ending.

o0 Mr Ed 0o

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Was it really that difficult? Maybe you your not ready for an OW T. Only joking, you're patience paid off in the end. No point risking poking it with straws and brushes only for it to fall onto the floor and injury itself or land on your face. Once transferring my OBT on the upstairs landing I brushed it into its new enclosure, it darted out and over and down the string of the stairs and ended up in an awkward position between the brushes bottom of the upstairs nule post and architrave of the door downstairs. The only thing I could do was wait until it moved somewhere I could cup it safely. Anything with speed and potent venom gets transferred in the bathroom. Their ability to teleport isn't fun anywhere else.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

KcFerry

Arachnosquire
Great Job!

Your way sounds much better than fishing in the hole, only to end up with a pissed off stromatopelma on the loose!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
No point risking poking it with straws and brushes only for it to fall onto the floor and injury itself or land on your face.

Absolutely no point in blindly poking at it. The shelf is 3 feet across, shaped like a 2x4, with a small hole in the middle, and no way to see inside. What would poking accomplish?

I posted this story because I want people to stop and think if they get in a odd situation with a spider, and not do the first dumb thing that they think of.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thank you for describing part of your workout regimen, Sir :D

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Lol I hope you closed that hole up afterward.
Personaly i hope he kept the hole.. Id much rather have to do that again inthe future then chase it out in the open! Because me, im fat that spider would outrun me. Turn around and stark making faces as i huff and puff wiel hes happily out of his cage...

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Personaly i hope he kept the hole.. Id much rather have to do that again inthe future then chase it out in the open! Because me, im fat that spider would outrun me. Turn around and stark making faces as i huff and puff wiel hes happily out of his cage...

That's what I'm thinking. With a hole, I know where it is and I can contain it. Otherwise I'm moving shelf units and cages while the spider is running away from me and laughing.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
You'd be better off plugging the hole and adding a small box with a hole in the same location. That way, you can just pick up the box to catch her.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You'd be better off plugging the hole and adding a small box with a hole in the same location. That way, you can just pick up the box to catch her.

Except that I stack the cages 2 or 3 high, and there's no room for a box. What happens more often is that they run/jump onto the floor, so I've put plastic strips that keep them from running the shelf units.

Pokie Master

Arachnosquire
Lol I enjoyed that little puzzle solving story. It can happen to the best. Just last night while I was coming home from work I call home to my girlfriend and she said there's a tarantula loose! I though oh no! She proceeds to try to tell me which one it was ((not fully knowing all the names like I do) and I realize it's my gravid female balfouri! Realizing it has nowhere or no way to get out of the room I told her not to leave the room! Told her more than likely it would stay low and not climb the walls. When I got home I looked and confirmed it wasn't on the shelf anywhere and proceeded to check the room. I pulled the cover off the base board heater and there she was! I have no clue how she got the lid off! And I always make sure the lids are on tight! Needless to say she got a nice rehouse out of the whole deal.