New to Theraphosa

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
So, here is the stitch! I recently picked up an unsexed stirmi and to sate my own curiosity I was wondering if someone could tell me if this specimen is in 'need' of a molt.

My reasoning is that I've seen freshly molted stirmi pictures, where they are shiny and dark chocolate brown. My stirmi, on the other hand, is more of a red clay coloration and has bald spots on it's carapace and legs. I don't think it's in pre-molt, but I'm not sure how quickly that chocolate color fades to the red clay color.

So what is the verdict? Just an average stirmi, or is this a stirmi that will be molting at least somewhat soon-ish? I must confess, I'm really just eager to sex it's exuvium. It only set me back $90 so even if it's male I won't be but so disappointed, but of course it would be nice to find out I nabbed myself a female.

I may consider trying to get pictures of it's vents but I'd much rather avoid a potential hairing.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
They fade as a molt approaches. Hopefully all of that missing fur on the abdomen wasn't sent in your direction.

Get some vent shots so we can sex it.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
They fade as a molt approaches. Hopefully all of that missing fur on the abdomen wasn't sent in your direction.

Get some vent shots so we can sex it.
No! Haha, I think I would be rolling around in a tub full of ice and rum instead of posting here if all those hairs were sent at me. No, I actually got it into it's enclosure without any threat postures or flicking-- but I got a welt on my right forearm that I'm assuming came from careless handling of the paper towels it was shipped in.

I just fed it, so I'll let it sit for a bit and then I'll try to get some pictures of it's vents. It's already so stocky for it's size. I knew stirmis were meaty, but you don't realize how meaty until you see them in person.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
based off of troubles, i mean, Mr. possum's picture ;) it looks like it may need to get some new cloths and stop being nakie ;D but sheesh if those are beefy.. i need to see a adult stirmi irl cuz iv only seen 1" slings.. and my MF gbb seems bulky.. those must be walking pork chops ;D

rockpython

Arachnopeon
From my experience of keeping a stirmi, I remember the color fading within a few weeks of the molt. But that bald patch looks pretty dark compared to a bald spot on a reletively fresh molted specimen... just MHO

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Amazing T. Probably the "T". Never had one because they cost too much for my pockets :)

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I've heard that their colour slightly changes after each molt. I don't know how true that is, but it could explain your problem. And yes, it looks to be in premolt.

Felidae

Arachnosquire
I think needs a bit more time, but the molt isn't too far. Hope will be a female :)

My subadult girl's "butt" in premolt:
image.jpg

miss moxie

Arachnoprince

Here is a pic of the stirmi's vents. Poec told me I have a female! Which is exciting of course. I wouldn't mind taking a crack at breeding her once she matures. She's just over 4", closer to 4" than 5". So she's got quite a bit of growing to do.

What was the realistic adult size potential on these Ts? Is it 10"?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
What was the realistic adult size potential on these Ts? Is it 10"?
About 7-9 inches is about average. More so on the 7 inch side. I made a post about this not too long ago located here http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?276341-Theraphosa-stirmi-Molt-at-8-Inches. People will measure differently and make a size determination with the spider's legs at different positions so your 7 inch T. stirmi could be 6 inches to someone else. Even the 8 inch molt in my thread shrunk to 7-7.5 inches after it dried.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
About 7-9 inches is about average. More so on the 7 inch side. I made a post about this not too long ago located here http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?276341-Theraphosa-stirmi-Molt-at-8-Inches. People will measure differently and make a size determination with the spider's legs at different positions so your 7 inch T. stirmi could be 6 inches to someone else. Even the 8 inch molt in my thread shrunk to 7-7.5 inches after it dried.
Oh, gotcha. I knew they didn't get to 12" as is famously rumored, but I thought they were a little bigger than 7"-9". So at what size would a female stop being a sub-adult, and be considered mature?

That's one thing I still don't completely understand about tarantulas. Spiderlings, juveniles, sub-adult, mature-- it all is rather subjective in my head. For example, my 2" Xenesthis immanis is still a spiderling, but my 2" B. albopilosum is a juvenile.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
Oh, gotcha. I knew they didn't get to 12" as is famously rumored, but I thought they were a little bigger than 7"-9". So at what size would a female stop being a sub-adult, and be considered mature?

That's one thing I still don't completely understand about tarantulas. Spiderlings, juveniles, sub-adult, mature-- it all is rather subjective in my head. For example, my 2" Xenesthis immanis is still a spiderling, but my 2" B. albopilosum is a juvenile.
IMHO the divide between juvenile and sub-adult is silly.

Can it mate? Great it's mature/adult. If it can't...Juvenile. These are spiders, not angsty teenagers ;).

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I've seen dozens at a local dealers, which is where I got most of mine. They seem to run 9-10", with adult males sometimes under or over that. From what I've seen, the odds are any much over 10" are probably males. A full size Theraphosa dwarfs anything else.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
IMHO the divide between juvenile and sub-adult is silly.

Can it mate? Great it's mature/adult. If it can't...Juvenile. These are spiders, not angsty teenagers ;).
True, but myself i do use juvie and sub adult, but on species like this that to ke personaly juvie would only be 2"-3" and 3.5+ is sub till its spermethicae is dark or pushing 7-8" and would be of pairable size then id say adult (mf if ik its darkened) main reason is because i dont like the idea of someone saying "this is my 6in adult sex unknown" as maybe shes a monster 9" girl whos not ready ;) or "my 6.5in juvie" maybe shes already mature and maxed out ;) but yes tech a males not an adult imo till gloves imho

So i like sub adult it allows for others to know just how clueless you are ;D as each girl is a dif size and not all of us pull a molt intact lol

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Amazing T. Probably the "T". Never had one because they cost too much for my pockets :)
...that and the fact that I can't their urticating bristles! I love to look at them, but I can't keep one. Pity...

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
My metriopelma came in with those same symptoms. Took her about month to finally feel comfortable in her new enclosure to molt. Crickets weren't doing much for her so after awhile I feed her a super worm and that got things going.