Most advanced T?

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Recently I keep seeing threads asking if they are ready for some T species, so I was curious what people think are the most advanced T species, something you wouldn't recommend to not just a novice but also to some advanced owners. Personally I have kept NW terrestrials, speedy psalmopoeus, OW terrestrials, Pokies, obts, primative spiders and some true spiders, and nothing compares to a speedy large Centipede that's not having a good day, after dealing with one of those you gain a new perspective on Ts.

cold blood

Staff member
Stromatoplema calceatum...Heteroscondra maculata....maybe Poecilotheria ornata.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got some that build burrow's and some that don't so I'm thinking those are more advanced than the others

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I say Stromatopelma calceatum, they are IMO worst than Poecilotheria sp. in general, due to their attitude. But, still, advanced keepers can hold those.
What i wouldn't, honestly, suggest to anyone are those "last fashion" spiders such those Ctenidae from Africa (Red Fang) and Phoneutria sp.
Here in Europe there's lately too much people who own those. Bad mistake.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with pretty much all the answers above as far as advanced because of speed,venom defensive behaviour etc. But it's my opinion that although most people could and quite often do keep these tarantulas if they have the right experience and knowledge I think there's something just as advanced in the new worlds but it's for different reasons and that is the T blondi because people who keep all the advanced species listed and more don't always have success keeping these large delicate tarantulas alive and let's face it who wants to face an angry 10" tarantula with some of if not the worst hairs around, oh did I mention 1" fangs that can do pretty bad mechanical damage. I respect all ow advanced species but I also show as much respect to the giant

Burchling

Arachnopeon
I dunno guys... What do you mean? In terms of skill needed to handle, house and maintain? Or how bad their bites are? Cold blood seemed to lean toward the latter. Actually, yeah all of those cold blood mentioned would suuuck to get tagged by. I've never owned a feather leg babs, but I do own the other two. I'd say H. Macs are a great "starter" for those who have kept arboreals and know the risks of getting bit by something hot like that. They behave a lot like terrestrials at the beginning of life and you really don't have to do much outside of keeping the humidity reasonably high. I would have to agree with the you on the Ornata... That's honestly one of the quickest T's I've ever seen when they have the motive.... I still don't know about the most "advanced" I might say something like a T. Blondi just because of the humidity demands, eventual size, and the fact that when it is large enough to eat a dozen crickets at a time... You have to give it bigger and more expensive food. Thats my vote... Get it down to like 5 species and make a poll ;)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'd also like to throw in, based off of venom, some Australian tarantulas. I'm not well versed with Ts from Oz, but I know some of them have venom potent enough to kill a dog.

And, not based on venom, I know people can have a hard time with Theraphosa, blondi specifically. I heard they're rather delicate. -- Oh, I see Burchling beat me to that.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
I'd also like to throw in, based off of venom, some Australian tarantulas. I'm not well versed with Ts from Oz, but I know some of them have venom potent enough to kill a dog.

And, not based on venom, I know people can have a hard time with Theraphosa, blondi specifically. I heard they're rather delicate. -- Oh, I see Burchling beat me to that.
Those Aussies are quick,too.I think if they were more popular among keepers,they would have a worse reputation than they do.If as many people had Selenocosmia as they do OBT's,I'm sure they'd have at least as bad a reputation.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Those Aussies are quick,too.I think if they were more popular among keepers,they would have a worse reputation than they do.If as many people had Selenocosmia as they do OBT's,I'm sure they'd have at least as bad a reputation.
I suspect as they get more popular (in the near future I'd wager) that we will see more 'bad' things about Aussie spiders. I personally won't dabble in Australian tarantulas just because of the small reputation they already have.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I suspect as they get more popular (in the near future I'd wager) that we will see more 'bad' things about Aussie spiders. I personally won't dabble in Australian tarantulas just because of the small reputation they already have.
Quite frankly I'm still surprised so many keep Chilobrachys spp without any problems? When I got my couple, I was sure I could get along with them just fine, but there was still some anxiety in case I overestimated myself. At any rate, comparing the Aussie T's with Asian ones, both have potent venom and the majority a bad attitude additionally. So what's the difference between them? Why are people so adamant about Aussie T's, but stamp Asian burrowers apparently as "easier than those"?

As for the venom that can kill a dog, the very same venom can't kill a human to my knowledge, but canines are very succeptible to it for some reason - if memory serves me right.

Felidae

Arachnosquire
In my collection the most diffult T's are Lampropelma nigerrimum and Haplopelma "minax" (nigerrimums are bit calmer). Fast, skittish buggers, with no fear to bite without warning. The "advanced" word come alive during rehouse, cleaning and breeding.

Hands up! Big smile! Love that sweetie..

image.jpg

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Don't know, but S. calceatum and a H. mac would squat in front of a 7+ inch angry female L. violaceopes. I don't have Ts that give me trouble, because I just do my job as quick as possible and close the lid, but I'd say my female miranda has given me the most trouble during a rehouse. Very fast and unpredictable T.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Quite frankly I'm still surprised so many keep Chilobrachys spp without any problems? When I got my couple, I was sure I could get along with them just fine, but there was still some anxiety in case I overestimated myself. At any rate, comparing the Aussie T's with Asian ones, both have potent venom and the majority a bad attitude additionally. So what's the difference between them? Why are people so adamant about Aussie T's, but stamp Asian burrowers apparently as "easier than those"?

As for the venom that can kill a dog, the very same venom can't kill a human to my knowledge, but canines are very succeptible to it for some reason - if memory serves me right.
Even though I don´t keep any Aussie Ts, I tend to agree with what you are writing here. Of all my Ts, the Asian burrowers are by far the most unpredictable ones. My H. minax has attacked my tweezers on several occasions during cage maintenance, without giving a threat posture or any signs of aggression in advance. In the end I have started to physically block the entrance to her burrow every time I have some business inside that terrarium. I don´t want to advice anyone against keeping Asian Ts, because they are really beautiful and very interesting tarantulas, but in my experience also the most complicated or "advanced" ones to deal with.

Burchling

Arachnopeon
In my collection the most diffult T's are Lampropelma nigerrimum and Haplopelma "minax" (nigerrimums are bit calmer). Fast, skittish buggers, with no fear to bite without warning. The "advanced" word come alive during rehouse, cleaning and breeding.

Hands up! Big smile! Love that sweetie..

View attachment 138018
I love this post... Nice input on the venom potentancy but I'm curious as to what you feel is the most difficult to "keep?" Or would you have the same answer? Great pic n post

El Consciente

Arachnopeon
So these aren't terribly common in the US, but I'm inclined to say Phlogius crassipes simply because they have a consistent track record of taking down dogs within 30 minutes of envenomation. The few reported bites on humans that I've heard of have caused up to 6 hours of vomiting and severe swelling, but don't appear to have the muscle paralysis characteristic of a pokie bite...

Their fangs grow up to 3.5", their DLS gets up to 9", and they're built like P. muticus. Likely one of the most fearsome beasts to crawl out from the Australian outback, in my humble opinion.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Stronger venom doesn't make them harder to keep in my opinion, just more dangerous.

I can't really think of one species in particular that has a temperament that would make them harder to keep since that pretty much always depends on the particular individual and not the species in general. Some are faster than others, but that's not enough to make them much more advanced than other species since they're all faster than us.

The only factor I can think of that would make a species more advanced is those that have higher care requirement like a narrower range of humidity they can support. T. Blondi have such a reputation like a few mentioned here, but I haven't kept any so I can't say how true that is.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
So these aren't terribly common in the US, but I'm inclined to say Phlogius crassipes simply because they have a consistent track record of taking down dogs within 30 minutes of envenomation. The few reported bites on humans that I've heard of have caused up to 6 hours of vomiting and severe swelling, but don't appear to have the muscle paralysis characteristic of a pokie bite...

Their fangs grow up to 3.5", their DLS gets up to 9", and they're built like P. muticus. Likely one of the most fearsome beasts to crawl out from the Australian outback, in my humble opinion.
Considering even Theraphosa fangs are only about 2-2.5" at max I think, it's hard to believe 3.5" fangs...fang-to-body ratio is way too much there. And again I'm asking what's so special about P. crassipes in comparison to a Haplopelma spp., Chilobrachys spp. or any other asian species. It seems the Aussie T's are being made out worse than they are. Not saying they're easy, by far not, but I fail to see what makes them worse than any asian.

Anyways, I guess in terms of keeping it'll be Therasphosa spp. due to their keeping parameters?

Bottom line: I don't think we should make this a contest of "what's the T with the worst attitude", but look upon it from a perspective of maintenance, rehousing, general dealing with the animal and housing perhaps?