How Long Have You Hovered?

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
What's the longest time you've spent hovering over spiders waiting for them to breed? I spent two hours with chopstick and catch cup in hand over two P.platyomma last night.
I got to wondering how long is too long? How long before you give up?

cold blood

Staff member
What's the longest time you've spent hovering over spiders waiting for them to breed? I spent two hours with chopstick and catch cup in hand over two P.platyomma last night.
I got to wondering how long is too long? How long before you give up?
Wow, 30 min. I like it better when they just go right to it.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
20 to 30 minutes. If it hasn't happened by then, it isn't going to. 2 hours? You need to read up on breeding.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
About 10 minutes, if they they walk up to each other and the male keeps running away or the female doesn't look like she wants to mate after a few tries, I take the male out and try again later.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
About 10 minutes, if they they walk up to each other and the male keeps running away or the female doesn't look like she wants to mate after a few tries, I take the male out and try again later.
Right. They can smell each other and feel the vibrations of the other one moving around. If one's in the mood, it'll start courting within minutes (sometimes seconds). If the other one doesn't have a positive response within a few minutes, odds are there won't be an insertion. If neither one starts courting after 20 minutes or so, try again another time.

BTW, I do most of my pairings at night. Being nocturnal, they're more likely to mate then.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Nearly 8 hours was the longest. They (GBBs) were next to my computer so it wasn't as if I was constantly hovering and doing nothing else, though. This male would take roughly three hours to finally start actively courting, and several more hours of false starts and breaks to finally try an insert. Wish I had a more enthusiastic male that I've read about, but this one got the job done in the end anyway.

So,
20 to 30 minutes. If it hasn't happened by then, it isn't going to. 2 hours? You need to read up on breeding.
is not always true. It depends on the species, and sometimes the individual male.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
Yea,I have a mm GBB on loan,and man,is he a runner! Everything goes fine at first,but as soon as he touches the female he bolts,once right over the female.My girls are even being sweet and not trying to kill him or anything.
I breed all mine at night as well.Maybe you should "read up" on your people skills.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Five extremely boring hours. It was C.cyaneopubescens and I swear she was more scared of him, despite everything I've heard about them being very aggressive with their males.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
Once, I waited an hour for my A hentzi to start drumming. In contrast, I had obt's that immediately drummed, inserted, and female crunched the male immediately after insertion in a span of about 45 seconds. I always attempt at night as well. Looks like someone has to do some reading of their own, including on people skills :)

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I've only done one pairing so far, but it went really well. It was done in ten minutes - the male was a little tank, strutted right up and got the job done lickety-split. The female was calm as can be right up to the point that I separated them.

Was still a nervous wreck the whole time though; I was about a foot away from them ready with a catch cup and a paintbrush. Really didn't want the male getting hurt - he's still got enough energy that I think he'd be good to go for someone else's breeding project. :D