Eight Legged Catpaws

owlbear

Arachnopeon
At least, that's what tarantulas look like to me. Especially if you view them from below.

And here are some of mine. I have a hard time remembering to snap pictures of them. But now that most of them are a decent size, I'm getting better about it. I need a better camera. Most sexes are assumed, since mine like to mangle their molts.

"Orange Julius", grammostola sp. Maule, munching on a nice superworm the day he came home
OrangeJulius_Eating.jpg

"Oolong", paraphysa scrofa. My second most feisty spider after my hapalopus sp. Columbia 'large'. She has grown very slowly
Oolong_Sling.jpg

Some spiderling houses I made for my little ones. I was quite proud of them. The spiders seem to enjoy them too, they have all adapted them to their needs
NewHouses.jpg

"Gelato", acanthoscurria geniculata, taking a look around her new home
Gelato_NewHouse.jpg

"Rooibos", psalmopoeus irminia. Probably my favorite species. Getting to see her is always a treat, especially now that she has her stripes
Rooibos.jpg

owlbear

Arachnopeon
"Cupcake", avicularia versicolor. The first tarantula I ever got. I've already ordered a bigger enclosure now that she's hardened up from her last molt. I can't get over how she's grown... compare to the day she came home below

Cupcake_Molted.jpg

Cupcake_Sling.jpg

"Punkin' Pie", hapalopus sp. Columbia 'large', doing some webbing of her new home after being rehoused. She's completely webbed it up now and I only ever see her feet. Very fast and aggressive spider, much to my surprise
PunkinPie_Webbing.jpg

"Red Velvet", brachypelma emilia, freshly molted and looking great

Velvet_FreshlyMolted.jpg

owlbear

Arachnopeon
Those are the most recent pics I have for now. Stay tuned for a baby g. rosea, and hopefully a few cool things from NARBC next month :)

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great pictures and nice specimens you have there!

Your Avicularia versicolor really needs some ventilation in his/her enclosure. If she doesn't get sufficient air flow she will die from stagnant air. I would also put air holes on the top and sides.

owlbear

Arachnopeon
Great pictures and nice specimens you have there!

Your Avicularia versicolor really needs some ventilation in his/her enclosure. If she doesn't get sufficient air flow she will die from stagnant air. I would also put air holes on the top and sides.
There's a mesh vent on the front actually! It's not visible here, but it keeps it very well ventilated. I mist half her web once a week and it's usually dried out by that evening - she has a water dish too that I refill every other day. I can try to snap a better pic of it tomorrow when it's light out, but it's one of Jamie's tarantula enclosures. The mesh does make me nervous though, I'd like to find good arboreal enclosures that I can drill or dremel through and make my own so she never has a chance to chew through the mesh.

Thank you though, I am very open to any and all concerns people may have. I want the best for my ts.

owlbear

Arachnopeon
Actually here, scratch that. I turned the lights on just long enough to get a picture of the vent for you.

Cupcakes_House.jpg

Ideally, I'd have nice cross ventilation, but the one open vent on the front seems to do the job well for now.

EDIT: This sounds really aggressive, I promise I don't mean it that way. I just figured it might ease everyone's minds to see what sort of ventilation Cupcake has

Last edited:

owlbear

Arachnopeon
Cupcake (a. versicolor) got rehoused today. She was not happy about this, even if it was necessary. I think she will come to like the new space though.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I also have a new arrival! Tiny tiny "Treacle", a grammostola rosea. My roommate has a mature female that convinced me I needed one to enjoy as well.

image.jpg

owlbear

Arachnopeon
Yes, my little sweet treat :)

I should have some nice new pics soon. My c cyaneopubescens, a genic, p scrofa and p irminia have all molted since I last postd. It's almost like they planned it that way. Also I am hoping for a couple new arrivals as of NARBC. In the meantime here are a few pictures from last weeks feeding day.

image.jpg

"Punkin' Pie", hapalopus sp. Columbia "large" having dinner. Easily my fastest the feistiest tarantula, which surprised me greatly. Loves to race around her enclosure and teleport on top of prey.

image.jpg

"Gelato" the acanthoscurria geniculata, freshly molted. Only opened her home up long enough to snap a few pics. She is looking very beautiful.

image.jpg

A bonus silly pictures of my super dwarf anery retic "Blue" who thinks she's part giraffe...

owlbear

Arachnopeon
Tiny suntigers are the cutest!!!!
Agreed, she is completely adorable. Though she has grown since these pictures. Unfortunately, being a typical tarantula, she spends most of her time hiding and I have no good pictures of her since. Maybe soon.

My little g. rosea sling just molted, as did a few others. I did end up picking up several new spiders between NARBC and my bonus paycheck - expect an update soon, I've been too busy unfortunately.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I particularly love "Ice cream" :) Acanthoscurria geniculata and "Genics" in general are one of my fav T's.

owlbear

Arachnopeon
I particularly love "Ice cream" :) Acanthoscurria geniculata and "Genics" in general are one of my fav T's.
Hehe, thank you! She is definitely one of my favorites. Always out and visible, so much personality!

Awesome tarantulas! Love the pic of the retic too!
Thank you. I am very sad to say that the retics have had to find new homes. It's a long and upsetting story. However, they went to the best possible home and may be used for educational outreach in the future. I love them both and I'm still torn up over seeing them go, but... it's done now. I will never forget them.

Thankfully my spiders, boa, corn snake and geckos remain.

Having said that. Happier subjects, new babies! Between some extra cash and NARBC I've introduced several new members to my spider family. Please welcome -

"Blue Raspberry", ischnocolinae sp. Dominican
ischnocolinaes_sling.jpg
"Chocolate Strawberry", euathlus sp. red
euathlus_sling.jpg
"Pixie Stick", avicularia metallica
metallica_sling.jpg
"Blackberry", grammostola pulchra
pulchra_sling.jpg
"Licorice Twist", linothele megatheloides (not actually a tarantula technically... but still wonderful)
linothele_sling.jpg

Not pictured is Cherry Pie, my brachypelma vagans, because the little one never comes out of his burrows! These were acquired over the past month and so far they are all doing very well. My tarantula shelf is wonderful to watch at night now, I could spend hours doing so. I'll try to get pictures of everyone else soon.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
man some of these names crack me up.. "chocolate strawberry" well i guess the "sexy like a chocolate strawberry" line wont work out well for those who know your pets huh? ;]

pretty decent pics too btw ;P

owlbear

Arachnopeon
man some of these names crack me up.. "chocolate strawberry" well i guess the "sexy like a chocolate strawberry" line wont work out well for those who know your pets huh? ;]

pretty decent pics too btw ;P
Hehe! Thank you. I like to name them after sweet treats, because they are my sweet treats.

Speaking of which, "Sourpatch" the chromatopelma cyaneopubescens molted today and is looking beautiful. I looked the molt over and believe he is a male. A bit sad, but that's okay. If he hooks out I will try to find someone who is in need of a mature male.
sourpatch.jpg

On the plus side, last night my grammostola sp. maule "Orange Julius" was up against the side of her container and I saw what I am 99% sure was her epigastric furrow!

owlbear

Arachnopeon
Today I had a lot of time to do my weekly feeding/maintenance, so I got some pretty nice pictures.

First of all, acanthoscurria geniculata "Gelato"s big pre-molt butt. I think she's sad she can't fit through that hole at the bottom of the flower pot anymore.
gelato.jpg

Grammostola pulchripes "Honeybush" looking beautiful, and also deep premolt.
honeybush.jpg

Linothele megatheloides "Licorice Twist" after pouncing a lat pinhead. Already this species has made beautiful webs in the enclosure, which also keep that little water bowl in place. For once a spider that works with me to keep itself watered...
licorice.jpg

Slightly off focus shot of my grammostola pulchra "Blackberry" with dinner.
blackberry.jpg

Also found these fantastic small containers at the container store. Perfect for very very tiny slings like my ischnocolinae sp. dominican "Blue Raspberry".
blu.jpg

owlbear

Arachnopeon
Grammostola rosea "Treacle" with a mealworm I vastly underestimated. It was removed and replaced with a tinier one.
treacle.jpg

Paraphysa scrofa "Oolong" in heavy premolt. She's been in premolt for nearly two months, very slow grower, very beautiful even at this size though. I love her.
oolong.jpg

I found these fantastic deep shoeboxes at the container store yesterday and knew they would be perfect for spiders. My grammostola sp. maule "Orange Julius" was trying to form a burrow in her old home but it was too shallow, so I rehoused her today.
julius_house.jpg

She took to it immediately! I tossed her a cricket and she nabbed it, did a 'happy dance', and then sat and ate it. She's so beautiful.
julius_settled.jpg

My spider shelf, looking very nice today.
shelf.jpg

owlbear

Arachnopeon
Just today I've been posting in another thread about the hapalopus sp. Columbia 'large' species and how fast/flighty/secretive they are, and how I had no idea when I got mine to expect this. I haven't actually seen my "Punkin' Pie" in about a month, but I checked my spiders once more before getting ready for work and saw her legs sticking out of her newly re-opened burrow. On a whim I tossed a cricket in and not only did she come out, but stayed out long enough for myself and my partner to admire her. Completely worth all the trouble she can be, look at those colors...
punkin1.jpg