New arrivals :)

GG80

Arachnoknight
Got some new slings in the mail today.

1x Avicularia versicolor
1x Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
1x Hapalopus sp. "Colombia"
1x Nhandu chromatus

There was a freebie in there too, an Ornithoctonus aureotibialis sling but unfortunately the poor thing was DOA. Beautiful looking sling. Such a shame :(.

GG80

Arachnoknight
It might be a good thing that it was a DOA since you seem to be a beginner.
Possibly as it would have been my first OW and I haven't even moved on to arboreals yet (the versi I got today is my first), but it might have or might not benefited me in some way as a 'forced' introduction to OWs. However, it was a downer to see him dead as he was the last one I unpacked and I really appreciate the dealer sending me a freebie.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
It might be a good thing that it was a DOA since you seem to be a beginner.
That was very insensitive and borders with unnecessary and stupid. He is obviously sad that he lost his sling and you say "It might be a good thing it died"? People around these forums sometimes piss me off with their "I'm anti OW for beginners look at me trying to blend in with the crowd" attitude. I too think people should work their way up, but saying what you did was just plain wrong.

cold blood

Staff member
Boy angel, I think that was a bit of an overreaction...I think he was just trying to find a positive in the situation, it certainly didn't seem like a slam in any way.

Congrats on the new t's GG...made some great choices....so, how big are the specimens?

I really love the versi, such a beautiful t at every point in their lives...good eaters, too.

Also a big fan of the chromatus. I've had the pleasure to raise bunches of these and they never disappoint come feeding time. At one point I had about 20 slings, fed every 3 days and every one was molting every 24-28 days till they reached about 2", then it "slowed" to the 30 day range....at 3" they are now slowing down a bit, molting every 45-55 days.

Enjoy!!!

GG80

Arachnoknight
Boy angel, I think that was a bit of an overreaction...I think he was just trying to find a positive in the situation, it certainly didn't seem like a slam in any way.

Congrats on the new t's GG...made some great choices....so, how big are the specimens?

I really love the versi, such a beautiful t at every point in their lives...good eaters, too.

Also a big fan of the chromatus. I've had the pleasure to raise bunches of these and they never disappoint come feeding time. At one point I had about 20 slings, fed every 3 days and every one was molting every 24-28 days till they reached about 2", then it "slowed" to the 30 day range....at 3" they are now slowing down a bit, molting every 45-55 days.

Enjoy!!!
Thanks CB. The versi and GGB are around 3/8" DLS and the Hapalopus and N. chromatus are just short of 1/4" DLS. They're tiny.

The GBB was webbing after 15 minutes in its new enclosure and the versi is setting up camp now after an hour or so of exploring, but it has decided to make its new home on the underside of the lid.

---------- Post added 07-30-2015 at 09:43 PM ----------

That was very insensitive and borders with unnecessary and stupid. He is obviously sad that he lost his sling and you say "It might be a good thing it died"? People around these forums sometimes piss me off with their "I'm anti OW for beginners look at me trying to blend in with the crowd" attitude. I too think people should work their way up, but saying what you did was just plain wrong.
Thanks for the support Angel but I can fully appreciate what Arachnomaniac was getting at. No offence was taken.

cold blood

Staff member
Those chromatus do start out as tiny little specks...but even at that size they should still be enthusiastic eaters. Mine all webbed a lot when they were tiny, but by 3/4" they basically stopped....They burrow a lot, especially under 3"....after that they just bury or fill the water dish regularly. Its cool seeing the stripe legs and that bright maroon rump come in as they grow....same for the array of color changes the versi will go through...from that bright blue to all kinds of fluorescent greens, purples and orangy reds. Gbb is similar with the consistent (and impressive) color changes as they grow.

I just had a male versi mature after just over a year, so they grow kinda quick, but don't live exceptionally long. Good reason to keep a constant supply of them around;)

When my versis were small, they webbed their enclosure within an hour of being placed...hopefully yours does the same soon.

Last edited:

GG80

Arachnoknight
When my versis were small, they webbed their enclosure within an hour of being placed...hopefully yours does the same soon.
The versi has webbed which is a good sign, but it has webbed on the underside of the lid which means it will be broken every few days. Hopefully it will realize this and web lower down where the wood and leaves are :).

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I understand you somewhat. We are living in a world where, especially online.. so available for everyone, there's Latrodectus, Sicarius, Ctenidae, Hexathelidae , Macrothele, Phoneutria sp. and other hots, and no one say nothing about. Ctenidae Red Fang? 35/40 Euro for a female. Then, all of a sudden, a not even close to those Mygalomorphae and Spiders by venom and temperament, like an Asian intermediate burrower T like Ornithoctonus aureotibialis ( a Chilobrachys fimbriatus is "worst") is a no way.
Stop this or our hobby have no future (will never stop to say that).
It's ridicolous to have Poecilotheria sp. banned in some German Land when actually you can own a Macrothele or a Phoneutria.
Who are the idiots behind this? Greedy sellers, full of ego customers?

cold blood

Staff member
The versi has webbed which is a good sign, but it has webbed on the underside of the lid which means it will be broken every few days. Hopefully it will realize this and web lower down where the wood and leaves are :).
This is why some of us emphasize the utilization of deli cups, as their lids are pliable, so you can open small areas to gain entry without destroying the entire web every time....I tell ya, they'll feed much quicker if you're not dismantling their "house" at feeding time. Even when webbing is surrounding the lid, I am able to open a small area and just make a small hole with my tweezers and drop the cricket or whatever in, barley getting a notice from the t.

This is advice from experience, when I got my first versi slings, one went into a container with a screw on top that I had used several times with terrestrials that never webbed (like B. smithi) with much success. The solid top was such a problem that I ended up taking a razor blade and slowly cut a portal in the lid....never removed it till I re-housed a few molts later. While I could feed and water without issue now, maintenance was nearly impossible and eventually I re-housed just because I couldn't get to all the bolus's, nor could I effectively remove the sub from the dish, or replace it.

Popped them both into 32 oz deli cups at about 1 3/4" and it was a vast improvement over what I had previously considered a good option.

There are a few people here (viper and CEC, I believe), that have had great results by flipping such enclosures, filling the lid with sub and fixing the wood/plants to the bottom (now the top)....this way when they web the top, it never has to be disturbed for any reason and clean up is easy.

If you are using a deli cup...lol...disregard most of this post:wink::laugh:

---------- Post added 07-30-2015 at 05:23 PM ----------

I understand you somewhat. We are living in a world where, especially online.. so available for everyone, there's Latrodectus, Sicarius, Ctenidae, Hexathelidae , Macrothele, Phoneutria sp. and other hots, and no one say nothing about. Ctenidae Red Fang? 35/40 Euro for a female. Then, all of a sudden, a not even close to those Mygalomorphae and Spiders by venom and temperament, like an Asian intermediate burrower T like Ornithoctonus aureotibialis ( a Chilobrachys fimbriatus is "worst") is a no way.
It's ridicolous to have Poecilotheria sp. banned in some German Land when actually you can own a Macrothele or a Phoneutria.
Honestly I think most of the general public is clueless that people even keep true spiders.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This is why some of us emphasize the utilization of deli cups, as their lids are pliable, so you can open small areas to gain entry without destroying the entire web every time....I tell ya, they'll feed much quicker if you're not dismantling their "house" at feeding time. Even when webbing is surrounding the lid, I am able to open a small area and just make a small hole with my tweezers and drop the cricket or whatever in, barley getting a notice from the t.

This is advice from experience, when I got my first versi slings, one went into a container with a screw on top that I had used several times with terrestrials that never webbed (like B. smithi) with much success. The solid top was such a problem that I ended up taking a razor blade and slowly cut a portal in the lid....never removed it till I re-housed a few molts later. While I could feed and water without issue now, maintenance was nearly impossible and eventually I re-housed just because I couldn't get to all the bolus's, nor could I effectively remove the sub from the dish, or replace it.

Popped them both into 32 oz deli cups at about 1 3/4" and it was a vast improvement over what I had previously considered a good option.

There are a few people here (viper and CEC, I believe), that have had great results by flipping such enclosures, filling the lid with sub and fixing the wood/plants to the bottom (now the top)....this way when they web the top, it never has to be disturbed for any reason and clean up is easy.

If you are using a deli cup...lol...disregard most of this post:wink::laugh:

---------- Post added 07-30-2015 at 05:23 PM ----------

Honestly I think most of the general public is clueless that people even keep true spiders.
Indeed. But it needs only a bite from those to have the whole hobby ruined in a nation.

awiec

Arachnoprince
While it wasn't ideal to get an Ornithoctonus aureotibialis, if it would have survived all you would have needed to do was provide the proper space and sub and it would have been a happy camper as they aren't as confrontational as their cousins. For avics I just throw them into a 16/32 oz deli cup, it allows good air space, hole placement and you can open the lid without totally destroying their homes (or they'll figure out just not to web there).

Though word of advice, watch that H.sp Columbia, they are extremely fast, alert and have a wolf spider like personality.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron

I'm not in this hobby to listen to people telling others what to buy all the time. I endorse responsible purchases, but this forum takes it a bit too far. On EVERY post there are at least 5 people just spamming about ladders systems and "stay away from OWs". 0 discussions, no growth. I haven't seen a good discussion here in ages, let alone read something new. You know its just bordering with ignorance when someone says "it could've been a good thing your T died". I might be overreacting because I have a true passion and love for these animals, but its like this forum is sucking dry all of the "fun" of the hobby. With all these "am I ready for an OW" topics, I never once saw anyone trying to maybe redirect someones attention to some other beautiful genus, like Xenesthis, Pamphobeteus, Cyriocosmus, Psednocmenis. After coming across a guy from Europe who keeps a lot of Pamphs and Xenesthis, I gotta tell you all of my attention has shifted from Poecilotheria and OW arboreals to those 2 genera. I bet it can happen with other people too. With the current media view of the hobby responsibility is first, but lets set some borders on what we should say and when.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I'm not in this hobby to listen to people telling others what to buy all the time. I endorse responsible purchases, but this forum takes it a bit too far. On EVERY post there are at least 5 people just spamming about ladders systems and "stay away from OWs". 0 discussions, no growth. I haven't seen a good discussion here in ages, let alone read something new. You know its just bordering with ignorance when someone says "it could've been a good thing your T died". I might be overreacting because I have a true passion and love for these animals, but its like this forum is sucking dry all of the "fun" of the hobby. With all these "am I ready for an OW" topics, I never once saw anyone trying to maybe redirect someones attention to some other beautiful genus, like Xenesthis, Pamphobeteus, Cyriocosmus, Psednocmenis. After coming across a guy from Europe who keeps a lot of Pamphs and Xenesthis, I gotta tell you all of my attention has shifted from Poecilotheria and OW arboreals to those 2 genera. I bet it can happen with other people too. With the current media view of the hobby responsibility is first, but lets set some borders on what we should say and when.
When I used to frequent those threads I would always recommend Pamphs as they are (in my mind) the complete tarantula package. I don't hang around in chat anymore as it's the same stuff being recycled. "When am I ready of an OW", "What should I name my tarantula?", "My rose hair won't eat!" or "My Avic Died". I'm bored of answering the same thing over and over again to people who aren't going to listen to half of what we say anyway.

BUT get a Pamph, they are big, pretty, aren't very potent and have enough attitude to make it fun; you'll actually see them unlike a P.muticus.

cold blood

Staff member
I beat that Pamphobeteus drum every chance I get as well Awiec....same for Psalmopeous. Not sure I've ever seen a thread where alternative species were NOT suggested. Great groups of t's that have places in every collection.

Here in the US, Xenesthis sp. are pretty difficult to find, and when you do, they're really pricy....Pamphs aren't cheap, but you can still find many species of them for half the price of an X. immanis. They are a species I've always wanted since I first laid eyes on one in a pic in like 2002...still haven't come across even a single one that I could consider due to price. I certainly WISH, they were mere readily available and of course, bred....kinda hard to suggest a $100-$250 spider that has higher humidity requirements to a beginner. The cheapest I've seen X. immannis was like $100, every other species is generally over 2 bills.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I beat that Pamphobeteus drum every chance I get as well Awiec....same for Psalmopeous. Not sure I've ever seen a thread where alternative species were NOT suggested. Great groups of t's that have places in every collection.

Here in the US, Xenesthis sp. are pretty difficult to find, and when you do, they're really pricy....Pamphs aren't cheap, but you can still find many species of them for half the price of an X. immanis. They are a species I've always wanted since I first laid eyes on one in a pic in like 2002...still haven't come across even a single one that I could consider due to price. I certainly WISH, they were mere readily available and of course, bred....kinda hard to suggest a $100-$250 spider that has higher humidity requirements to a beginner. The cheapest I've seen X. immannis was like $100, every other species is generally over 2 bills.
I also suggest Phormics as for some reason they are a lot cheaper than Pamphs but have very little difference between them; outside of P. sp Platyomma and P.nigricolor Pamphs definitely are pricey.

cold blood

Staff member
I also suggest Phormics as for some reason they are a lot cheaper than Pamphs but have very little difference between them; outside of P. sp Platyomma and P.nigricolor Pamphs definitely are pricey.
And antinous

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I beat that Pamphobeteus drum every chance I get as well Awiec....same for Psalmopeous. Not sure I've ever seen a thread where alternative species were NOT suggested..
I can vouch for this. Tho iv loved my phormic and psalmo i never realy planned on getting a pamph..to me all i heard was "big...hungry..pretty" well im all for a big hairy spider but iv got some 5"ers im happy with i dont need wives tails to chase on these supposed 'tank' Ts xD buuut wiel collecting all the psalmos i can i found a machalla for a decent price and i like their colors a lil so i grabbed it(yes i have some peerpressure Ts lol) she aint been with me long but see pretty cool for 2-3" ^.^ fairly cheep too cb has been preachin pampho so long i almost forget he has like 20 chromatus slings ;)

As for op.nice pickup.. Hope you let dealer know of doa maybe yould be lucky and get credit twards your next order ^.^

Last edited: