Spider escape, need help fast.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
In a recent attempt to work with my C. Darlingis, one bolted and went in to a corner near my sink. This was fine, it's happened with other spiders, so I went to go get him when all of the sudden he moves up, something that I was certainly not expecting. I did not know there was a hole right there and I had no idea that he would even fit in to anything there. Well he seems to have escaped in to some sort of minute crawlspace that I have no idea where it leads to, either in to the plumbing of the house or just stops right there. I have no idea where it leads to and frankly I feel like a complete idiot for not noticing the hole, but I have had spiders try to hide in the corner there before and none have had an issue with it. Right now it needs to be found alive or dead, as I have a family member who has had a history of medical problems and I do NOT want to risk them bitten. They are also aware of the risks of spider keeping and know there is always a slight chance of this happening, and they even help me with husbandry from time to time, so they are not "misinformed" and know the risks. I however do not want to even slightly risk a bite so my policy with this has to be either I find it alive now or I bug bomb the room and make sure it is dead. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this thing out?

I really am not in to mood for anything negative, I have experience with fast spiders but this ended up being an unforseen fluke that just happened to align in the wost possible way. This seems to be the icing on the cake of a pretty miserable day...
Any other spider and this would have been easier to deal with, but it had to be the absolute one spider I did not want loose.

Last edited:

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My camera has been acting weird and not uploading photos properly, I'll try but no promises.

I used a metal wire to explore the hole and see where it stops, and it seemed to go in to the plumbing under the sink meaning odds are he is long gone...

EDIT
I got a pic, the hole is the little gap that's about 1cm wide. Virtually unnoticable unless you're laying along the floor and really looking or it.

Last edited:

REvan342

Arachnopeon
Has the spider webbed in her enclosure?.... If the spider already has a home in her cage, there's a good chance she will return there given the opportunity. Place the cage by that crack, and leave it open.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Sinks seem to be a magnet for Ceratogyrus! :)
Maybe go and get a long blade of grass and try to lure it out? People use that to get pics of their fossorials sometimes.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ahh, it was a mature male. I was getting ready to introduce him when he bolted.

---------- Post added 07-30-2015 at 11:07 PM ----------

Sinks seem to be a magnet for Ceratogyrus! :)
seriously though, they always end up in the plumbing lol

REvan342

Arachnopeon
Ahh, it was a mature male. I was getting ready to introduce him when he bolted.

---------- Post added 07-30-2015 at 11:07 PM ----------

seriously though, they always end up in the plumbing lol
Naturally...... Hot water pipes stay warm, and he can hide in between the pipes..... Plus there's plenty of food..... It's pretty much the best place for most spiders.... Unless of course they have a worried keeper.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Remove that piece of baseboard with a pry bar and locate the spider. Slowly and calmly are key. Coax him out with something and brad nail board back up. Piece o' cake! Good luck and hope he ends up alive!!!

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Remove that piece of baseboard with a pry bar and locate the spider. Slowly and calmly are key. Coax him out with something and brad nail board back up. Piece o' cake! Good luck and hope he ends up alive!!!
That's not too possible. I wish I could though.
I am also about 90% sure he ended up going through the plumbing and in to the bowels of my house (the drywall).

Chris11

ArachnoBat
How come? I do floors so baseboards my thing. I might be able to think of something...

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Right but baseboards are not my thing. I don't have the tools, money, or means necessary to tear apart the baseboard and reinstall it. I am not too good with tools and I don't have a lot of them.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Find something flat and ridgid... flathead screwdriver, crowbar, claws of a hammer, anythinf like that and gently pry the piece every couple of inches or so till it breaks free. Remove the tacks, staples, nails or whatwver and find the spider, retrieve him and put him into his enclosure and let hime be for a day or two. Find a couple loose brad nails or evwn wood glue or super glue and put the piece back up. Make sure to caulk that crack and hole I see in the pic and anything else like thay regardless to prevwnt further mishaps. I wish I could teleport....

---------- Post added 07-31-2015 at 02:37 AM ----------

Good luck... I just realized I condescended your replies. I appologize and am only trying to help for the sake of the spider and being a frantic panicky moment I felt (kind of) the same way. Hope all ends well for the both of you!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I always found the bathroom a poor place to spider proof. I did try doing a few transfers in there when I saw it so highly recommended. I got down on spider level to be sure I blocked all possible points of escape. After closing drains, saran wrapping faucets, overflows, air vents, gaps in cabinets, gaps around plumbing, etc, I decided it was far easier to cover the vent in my room and throw a towel under the door.
Anyway, hope you find your spider.

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My camera has been acting weird and not uploading photos properly, I'll try but no promises
I used a metal wire to explore the hole and see where it stops, and it seemed to go in to the plumbing under the sink meaning odds are he is long gone...

EDIT
I got a pic, the hole is the little gap that's about 1cm wide. Virtually unnoticable unless you're laying along the floor and really looking or it.
From the look of where he went in, he may never come out.
Looks like there is a big gap between the cabinet and the wall, where that vertical 1/2 piece of wood is placed.
And underneath that kick board may be open as well.
He is trapped between the cabinet and the dry wall and the floor, unless there's is a hole in the wall, that he can get into, in that case, you probably will never see him again.
Since you have been tinkering with the opening, he may have moved away far from the opening.
There is a chance that the cabinet may be open in the back and there is a another gap between the cabinet and the back wall and he could end up inside the cabinet.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
From the look of where he went in, he may never come out.
Looks like there is a big gap between the cabinet and the wall, where that vertical 1/2 piece of wood is placed.
And underneath that kick board may be open as well.
He is trapped between the cabinet and the dry wall and the floor, unless there's is a hole in the wall, that he can get into, in that case, you probably will never see him again.
Since you have been tinkering with the opening, he may have moved away far from the opening.
There is a chance that the cabinet may be open in the back and there is a another gap between the cabinet and the back wall and he could end up inside the cabinet.
You actually have it spot on except for the last bit. There is a hole the sink drain leads through that I looked in while I fed a little metal wire down in to the hole he went in to, and I happened to see the wire poking through. This means he has access to the entire piping system of the house and wherever they lead to. Pretty sure he's a lost cause at this point.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
They tend to stay in the very first place they find to hide so there's a good possibility that she didn't go explore further than right inside that crack. I wouldn't lose hope yet.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
You say it's a MM. Put some of the girl's webbing nearby and he might come out at night.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You say it's a MM. Put some of the girl's webbing nearby and he might come out at night.
I am going to try that but I don't know if he'll be in the same spot as it's been 14+ hours since the escape. This is a first for me and I know for a fact I won't be doing anything with spidersin the bathroom. anymore. I'll just put a towel under my door and do it in the room.