Do tarantulas really need

Psingletongolf

Arachnopeon
Do our ts really need full clear containers or would one clear side and the other 3 being solid be ok? I'm looking a building something for my house similar to my cresties but would rather just make the tanks out of wood than buying Eco Terra's. Would I be able to do that and have plexi glass fronts? Ventilation is not an issue as I've already planned for that. Thanks in advance

cold blood

Staff member
Clear containers are for you and your visibility, it matters not for the t. Why would the spider need visibility out of the enclosure:?

I don't know about wood sides though, they have a lot of time without a lot to do and can work their way through wood.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Well if your making somethingn like a melamine enclosure id say go for it as itl gelp keep gumidity in... Be sure to seal the holes if you go that rout (as in their sides so the layer downt bubble and peel)^.^ as said seeing in is for your liking not theirs xp iv seen people use black boxes and they worked fine lol

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Nope. Some people even keep Haplos in those big painter buckets. And those who keep their collection in near perpetually dark rooms. You just have to be careful using wood as there's all sorts of issues it can cause, from molding to using toxic sealants or even toxic woods. My suggestion would be to go over your plans in detail in the Vivariums section; there are lots of people who make specialized T enclosures that could offer great advice.

Burchling

Arachnopeon
I firmly believe that T's would probably do better in the long run in a box with less outside visibility... It would lower their stress loads... Anyway, I wouldn't personally do it because half the time I'm home I'm staring into one of their enclosures. This would disrupt that.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
I firmly believe that T's would probably do better in the long run in a box with less outside visibility... It would lower their stress loads... Anyway, I wouldn't personally do it because half the time I'm home I'm staring into one of their enclosures. This would disrupt that.
This would only apply if you're not giving your T proper conditions such as enough sub to dig/make hides, a secure hiding spot(corkbark hides, etc..) Look at RobC, I don't think I've seen one of his enclosures non transparent, and he breeds in those enclosures! And as for me, I use transparent bins and/or custom made enclosures for breeding as well, and it doesn't affect the T given that it has one or more secure hiding places, or the substrate to create one. And in terms of lifespan, that can be up for interpretation. I own/ know people who have taken no special care in terms of using non transparent bins, and have spiders that have lived 20+ years. Given they are NW spiders, but even for OW, same application and they've lived longer than average lifespans. Either way it doesn't matter which type you use IMO as long as the spider is given proper conditions to live comfortably

Last edited: