Catasthrophe

magneto

Arachnoknight
Just a couple of days after my favorite T, my P. muticus sling died for no aparent reason, disaster struck again today. When I got home from work a few hours ago a sad sight met me. My cat had somehow gotten up on my T shelf, a shelf that I would have sworn was way too high up for a cat to get up on. Four of my sling enclosures was on the floor, one A. versicolor, one B. smithi and two P. murinus. Luckily only one had opened so I managed to save 3 of them, but my 1" B smithi is nowhere to be seen. I have been tearing the place apart in the last hour or so but no luck.

My hopes are not high at the moment as it is either lying dead somewhere I have not found yet, or the cat has eaten it or It's alive somewhere and will emerge sometime later, but then the chances are that the cat wil spot it before me.

Sometimes i can't help thinking it's just not meant to be...

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Like once a week we get a cat-tastrophe....never do we see it with dogs....moral is....dogs are better than cats;) :laugh:

Maybe its just that most people train their dogs and very very few do the same with cats, at least to the same level...cats do what they want, when they want, for their own reasons....dogs live their lives to please you.....

my suggestion...trade the kitty in for a pooch.:clown:

magneto

Arachnoknight
Like once a week we get a cat-tastrophe....never do we see it with dogs....moral is....dogs are better than cats;) :laugh:

Maybe its just that most people train their dogs and very very few do the same with cats, at least to the same level...cats do what they want, when they want, for their own reasons....dogs live their lives to please you.....

my suggestion...trade the kitty in for a pooch.:clown:
I totally agree with you actually. I grew up with dogs and concider myself a dog person more than a cat person but I live in an apartment building and work alot so I don't think a dog would be happy living there.

---------- Post added 07-31-2015 at 04:40 PM ----------

FOUND IT!!! It's alive and haven't got any visible wounds but it only moves a little when I touch it and one leg just sort of hangs there in a slightly wrong position so my hopes are still not high.

Last edited:

El Consciente

Arachnopeon
I totally agree with you actually. I grew up with dogs and concider myself a dog person more than a cat person but I live in an apartment building and work alot so I don't think a dog would be happy living there.

FOUND IT!!! It's alive and haven't got any visible wounds but it only moves a little when I touch it and one leg just sort of hangs there in a slightly wrong position so my hopes are still not high.
Glad to hear it my friend!

Where/how far from the point of escape was it?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Glad you find the T. After your King Baboon loss that would be enough. I have four cats (they were six, but two disappeared) and they aren't interested in T's, i'm lucky.
They love to hunt lizards and birds, sometimes they even kill and bring to me exotic birds like parrots. I trained them, it's more harder than dogs, and not always you can.
But in apartments it's impossible because they can't go out.

magneto

Arachnoknight
Glad to hear it my friend!

Where/how far from the point of escape was it?
About 2 feet. :giggle: It was inside a small plastic tube that had rolled under the furniture at some point. Didn't even think the tube was holow so I didn't look for it in there at once. But as I said it dosen't look good. It seems to have trouble moving its abdomen and back legs. It only dragged it when I pushed it towards the water dish in the ICU.

---------- Post added 07-31-2015 at 05:12 PM ----------

Glad you find the T. After your King Baboon loss that would be enough. I have four cats (they were six, but two disappeared) and they aren't interested in T's, i'm lucky.
They love to hunt lizards and birds, sometimes they even kill and bring to me exotic birds like parrots. I trained them, it's more harder than dogs, and not always you can.
But in apartments it's impossible because they can't go out.
There's no training my two cats. I tried a little when they where young but gave it up after a while. Now that they're adults I won't even bother trying.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member

Most excellent, glad you found it safe and sound, great news!!

As for the dog, the place you live and room you have isn't nearly as important as your dedication to the animal. I live in a smaller (2br) apt, with a fenceless yard....and have (and have had) a highly energetic dog. But I'm willing to take the dog out at least once a day, often more than that, to run off leash in the woods and socialize with other animals....I also take the dog everywhere I can (because that's just how I roll;)).....if you don't have that time to dedicate, then you're right, a dogs not right at the moment...cause they need you, unlike a self absorbed cat:laugh:

Nuthin' against cats people, I love all animals, I just understand the FACT that dogs are better pets....and I'm highly allergic to cats:biggrin:

magneto

Arachnoknight
Most excellent, glad you found it safe and sound, great news!!

As for the dog, the place you live and room you have isn't nearly as important as your dedication to the animal. I live in a smaller (2br) apt, with a fenceless yard....and have (and have had) a highly energetic dog. But I'm willing to take the dog out at least once a day, often more than that, to run off leash in the woods and socialize with other animals....I also take the dog everywhere I can (because that's just how I roll;)).....if you don't have that time to dedicate, then you're right, a dogs not right at the moment...cause they need you, unlike a self absorbed cat:laugh:

Nuthin' against cats people, I love all animals, I just understand the FACT that dogs are better pets....and I'm highly allergic to cats:biggrin:
Absolutly agree on every point. Dogs ARE the better pet. But as I said, I work a lot. And I have no yard, and it's illegal here to let your dog run free most of the year, not just a rule in the area but a national law. But if my situation chances in any way in the future I'm getting a dog. :)

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Sorry if im wrong and im by no means an expert, but cant you cut the bad leg off and use a tiny amount of super glue to seal it? I know its a little sling but ive heard of people doing that to hurt t's... the abdomen I have no idea....
One of my former cats did the same to me my lp sling and c. Darlingi slings enclisures on the floor sideways and open. The lp was just sitting there like nothing happened in its cube and the c. Darlingi use the massive earthquake to make a new burrow

cold blood

Staff member
Sorry if im wrong and im by no means an expert, but cant you cut the bad leg off and use a tiny amount of super glue to seal it? I know its a little sling but ive heard of people doing that to hurt t's... the abdomen I have no idea...
Single legs are virtually meaningless...if the t needs, it will remove it its self...1. do NOT remove it yourself, leave it to the t....2. There is no reason to glue a leg injury, t's have a built in system to cut the flow of hemolymph to the leg and stop the bleeding, they do not need the help of glue or any outside source. Super glue and such should only be used for life threatening damage to the body.

I have no reason to think this t will not be just fine. I had a N. chromatus take a tumble off the table this spring, there were several legs damaged (2 missing) and a small rupture to the abdomen....I did NOTHING but leave the t in a quiet dark place...its since molted a couple times and you'd never be able to tell it was severely injured just 4 and a half months ago.

magneto

Arachnoknight
Single legs are virtually meaningless...if the t needs, it will remove it its self...1. do NOT remove it yourself, leave it to the t....2. There is no reason to glue a leg injury, t's have a built in system to cut the flow of hemolymph to the leg and stop the bleeding, they do not need the help of glue or any outside source. Super glue and such should only be used for life threatening damage to the body.

I have no reason to think this t will not be just fine. I had a N. chromatus take a tumble off the table this spring, there were several legs damaged (2 missing) and a small rupture to the abdomen....I did NOTHING but leave the t in a quiet dark place...its since molted a couple times and you'd never be able to tell it was severely injured just 4 and a half months ago.
I looked at it now and it's finished. when I found it earlier there there no VISIBLE damages that I could see, but I see now why it was dragging its abdomen. When I looked to it now it had tumbled down from the water dish and was lying with the carapace and whole front part down with legs up, wiggling them around slowly, but the abdomen and back legs was facing up. It looks like the abdomen is partly torn free from the carapace and twisted. It was actually a very disturbing sight. In lack of a better description it looked like it was the looser of a cartoon fight.

So I'm afraid it's next stop the freezer to put it out of it's misery.

Once again in just a few days: "Noli Timere Theraphosidae Messorem" (Do Not Fear The Tarantula Reaper)

cold blood

Staff member
That sounds much worse:(

I'd just give it time personally.....and keep your fingers and toes crossed.

magneto

Arachnoknight
That sounds much worse:(

I'd just give it time personally.....and keep your fingers and toes crossed.
I guess I could try but I really don't see it coming back from this. But should I try to turn it so all the parts are right way up or leave it alone?

---------- Post added 07-31-2015 at 09:33 PM ----------

Wait a minute...it's bloody molting, trying to at least. It was due for a molt before this happened. It's really struggling though. The carapace I saw was the old one so hopefully the twisting part isn't as bad as it looked.

---------- Post added 07-31-2015 at 09:42 PM ----------

And it has shed the leg.

---------- Post added 07-31-2015 at 10:01 PM ----------

If this one survives it's gonna be the first T of mine that get's a name. And it's gonna be named after "Boris the blade" from the movie Snatch, the guy who refused to die no matter how many times you shot him. :biggrin:

---------- Post added 07-31-2015 at 10:05 PM ----------

I'm torn between trying to help or leaving it alone. I know I should leave it alone but it's just lying there wiggling one leg and doesn't seem to be able to move anything else.

Last edited:

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Good luck little guy!!! On a side note, if you think cats are bad try a rat. My free-range rat somehow managed to get to my tarantula shelf, open a critter keeper and rip a tarantula to shreds. The rat has since died but I don't think rats like tarantulas and I think they have the ability to levitate when we are not looking.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I hope your little guy makes out okay. I have 2 cats so keep the Ts and birds in another room with door closed. I know I can't trust my cats! In fact, that's what I like best about my cats -- they do what they want. :)

Love the thread title!

magneto

Arachnoknight
Boris is still struggling. When I woke up today I found it in the exact same position it was in last night. It didn't seem to be able to move so I turnd it a little so it got some more footholds and dripped a couple of drops of warm water on it in case it was stuck in the old molt.

I have to go to work now so for the next 6 hours Boris the blade is on it's own. Wish it luck. :)

---------- Post added 08-01-2015 at 08:25 AM ----------

Love the thread title!
Seemed apropriate ;)

magneto

Arachnoknight
I got home from work now and there is no change. It's still alive but appears to either be stuck in the molt or unable to move because of yesterdays tumble and cat attack. It's legs are maybe 1/4 of the way out on the side I can see.

Does anybody have any suggestions of what can be done to help it? Or is it a lost cause at this point? I wish I could take a picture that's even remotly useful, but the camera on my phone is broken and I don't own a real camera at the moment so this is as good as it gets

. 2015-08-01 15.12.24.jpg

Last edited: