Tropical house cricket care?

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've ordered some as feeders but I cannot find anything in there care like the house crickets.

Where do these originate from, it says they are very Hardy. The entomologist in me wants to know more lol.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
Gryllodes sigillatus? I think they are thought to originally be from Asia as well but are fairly wide spread now. They aren't hard to keep. I just put some egg cartons in and feed them potato and carrot mostly. Keep things clean so you don't experience a die off. They also breed just as easily as A. domesticus in my opinion.

Personally I prefer the newer G. sigillatus and buy those whenever possible. Everyone has conflicting opinions regarding this though.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks.

This is the only species I could find, I missed the Jamaican field cricket and crazy reds phase, the crazy reds would of been a fun pet to keep

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
No problem :).

I should also mention that although people say they are soundless....That's a lie. The males still chirp. It's a different sound over the normal domesticus, still noticeable though. Also they probably don't tolerate cooler temperatures as much as domesticus can. I've never tested the actual lowest temps or anything but this seems to be the general opinion.

Never heard of the crazy reds phase although Jamaicans certainly sound interesting. We typically get less exotic feeders here in Canada though unfortunately. And North America as a whole doesn't have anywhere near as interesting feeders as Europe it seems. UK has some awesome feeders I'd love to keep.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I had some of these from my LPS. They seem to be a little bit smaller, have enormously long antenna, and are wickedly more agile than my usual crickets. A few ended up starving before being caught, so I began to bait mine while they were in enclosures with arachnids. Gave them something to focus one, so my smaller spiders had a chance to catch them. :D

Not usually a fan of crickets, but these are kinda cute. Haven't heard the call myself, as I always got these at 3/4" at the biggest.