Secure Display / Storage of T's

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
I apologize if this has already been discussed, I ran a forum search but didn't see much.

I currently have my t collection on a small bookshelf. However, I would like to make something more secure with a latch/locking mechanism and visibility such as glass doors. Up until a month ago, my boyfriend had an elderly cat which was very uninterested in anything above floor level and never gave us any issues with any of the other pets. We've since had to put the cat down :( but after a month are discussing getting a successor.

I am sure this new cat will be inquisitive and much more of a handful. I would like to convert something like a thrift store china cabinet/cheapie Ikea piece into a secure tarantula display area out of the way of curious claws, maybe even with lighting inside.

Has anyone made something similar before? Would love to see your ideas. Thanks!

Last edited:

MrDave

Arachnosquire
Could you stretch a chain or heavy wire across the front to keep things from being pushed off by a cat wandering on your shelf? Maybe held in place with a latch so you can easily remove it when you want to remove larger enclosures.

---------- Post added 08-02-2015 at 09:47 PM ----------

Alternatively, a board held in place as in this picture of a med door being held shut.

Last edited:

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
Perhaps, but all my enclosures right now are small, lightweight acrylic housing that could easily be moved. If we were talking adults in 10 gallon tanks I wouldn't really worry. I could (and probably will) move them into a locking closet we have if the cat arrives and we haven't finished a solution yet. I know there's much debate as to whether t's need a proper day/night lighting schedule, but I don't want to keep them hidden away in the dark forever, either :p

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
Would your shelf hold a larger aquarium or two? You can secure the lid of those fairly easily, and you could fit a bunch of your small acrylic containers inside. Some people do this for humidity reasons, others for security.

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
Would your shelf hold a larger aquarium or two? You can secure the lid of those fairly easily, and you could fit a bunch of your small acrylic containers inside. Some people do this for humidity reasons, others for security.
Ooh that is a really simple and quick idea! I have several empty tanks from 10 gallon to 29 gallon sitting around from various corn snake upgrades. I may do that and plop a screen lid on it with some clips and call it a day. Thanks!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah do this I dont think a cat can hurt an aquarium they are just to big and bulky, be worried about slings,. and baby Ts.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
Ooh that is a really simple and quick idea! I have several empty tanks from 10 gallon to 29 gallon sitting around from various corn snake upgrades. I may do that and plop a screen lid on it with some clips and call it a day. Thanks!
Yeah do this I dont think a cat can hurt an aquarium they are just to big and bulky, be worried about slings,. and baby Ts.
Just make sure your new kitty can't get behind the aquariums, or they can push them off the shelf! Cats are clever, and have plenty of time to figure things out.

Also, bonus points if the aquarium with dipped mesh lid has a extra low clearance to the shelf above. May not need something heavy, but rather something that makes the lid impossible to lift.

Good luck!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Every.Single.Time. I read someone has a kitten & tarantulas I just wait for the inevitable desaster to happen one day. Sorry, but unless the T's are all in a locked room the cat has no access to whatsoever...at some point there's gonna be a thread like "My kitten knocked the enclosure over, the T is nowhere to be seen" or the like.

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
Every.Single.Time. I read someone has a kitten & tarantulas I just wait for the inevitable desaster to happen one day. Sorry, but unless the T's are all in a locked room the cat has no access to whatsoever...at some point there's gonna be a thread like "My kitten knocked the enclosure over, the T is nowhere to be seen" or the like.
Exactly... I keep coming upon those posts too. I am the exotics lover and my boyfriend is the cat lover...trying to find a middle ground... I may end up just locking them in the closet.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Exactly... I keep coming upon those posts too. I am the exotics lover and my boyfriend is the cat lover...trying to find a middle ground... I may end up just locking them in the closet.
Yeah, don't get me wrong: I'm certainly not trying to tell anyone what to do, much less to "get rid of the cat" - but....there's just too many accidents to even count them anymore. If cats are in the house, the T's need to be somewhere seperated where the kitten has no access to. Simple.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
A lexan plexiglass lid can hold a cat , perhaps keepers with cats should build these lids, as I did for 3 of my terrestrials.
Just make sure your new kitty can't get behind the aquariums, or they can push them off the shelf! Cats are clever, and have plenty of time to figure things out.

Also, bonus points if the aquarium with dipped mesh lid has a extra low clearance to the shelf above. May not need something heavy, but rather something that makes the lid impossible to lift.

Good luck!
Incase cat sleeps on T cage, it does not break the screening.

magneto

Arachnoknight
I have no idea what your talking about mate. None whatsoever. :sarcasm: