A. avic missing four legs!!!

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Hey all, I woke up this morning to my sub adult a. Avic had molted in the night but its four right legs are missing! I had noticed awhile back that after the last molt the right second leg had minor damage to it but it didnt really concern me because it could still walk normally and didnt seem to be an issue. Its been eating normally and still webbing since the initial damage occurred but now im freaked. This happen to anyone else??? Its palps are fine and intact as well. And ill post a pic asap i should be getting my laptop back in a couple days...

SpiderInTheBath

Arachnosquire
We have a male one of these at work that had the same thing happen, it lost 3 legs and a pedipalp and just kept on keeping on. I don't have any advice, but I was equally stumped about what the hell happened. It's been fine for months and months though, eating/drinking normally. Maybe they think it adds character.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
I sure hope thats what it thinks but I wish it wouldve asked me first because I would have made it clear that its already so beautiful.... "you dont need to change anything about yourself, I love you the way you are." Something like that

alexcta

Arachnopeon
I dont't think it is life threatening. I would try to figure out the cause and remove it (low humidity or crickets in the cage maybe) and keep an eye on him, especially on the next molt.

Anyway as long as he is going about his business as usual, he should do fine IMO.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
I dont't think it is life threatening. I would try to figure out the cause and remove it (low humidity or crickets in the cage maybe) and keep an eye on him, especially on the next molt.

Anyway as long as he is going about his business as usual, he should do fine IMO.
I do need to get a better humidity gauge but as far as I know its almost at a cobstant 70% with a full water bowl and somewhat moist substrate.
And I check everyday for renegade crickets and there werent any in its tank...

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I do need to get a better humidity gauge but as far as I know its almost at a cobstant 70% with a full water bowl and somewhat moist substrate.
I keep my Avics dry with a water dish. Maybe try that?

Chris11

ArachnoBat
I will try that... ill let it dry out and stop overfilling the dish

cold blood

Staff member
Better humidity gauge??? There shouldn't be a humidity gauge at all....better off using it as a weight to hold down papers on a desk....those things cause problems, not solve them.

I keep my Avics substrate predominantly dry.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
it came with the exoterra i have it in and just never peeled it off....