Sad surprise ...

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Received a MF E. murinus about a month ago. I noticed ever since I placed her into her new home, she never silked, and has never eaten. I figured she was due for a molt, so I waited patiently. Today I looked at her and she was out of her pre made burrow, ontop of a soft fake plant, and seemed very weak and lethargic. I snapped some pics, and discovered this.. :(

She was a very non aggressive one too. Really like this girl. Saddens me to think, "what the heck is in there"..

If you haven't noticed what I'm talking about yet, look the right side of her abdomen, near spinnerets.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Eesh, I'm guessing wild caught? My condolences. Are you planning to put her out of her misery or wait and see what the (likely) parasite is?

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Eesh, I'm guessing wild caught? My condolences. Are you planning to put her out of her misery or wait and see what the (likely) parasite is?
More than likely going to wait. She looks like she may be molting soon, so maybe something good will come from it. But if it is a parasite, I will want to preserve it, and send it in for ID'ing and examination.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I'm glad you're going to wait and see (and ID the possible parasite), the only way we ever gain knowledge in this hobby is observation or if someone writes a paper about it.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I mean, is that what it is looking like to everyone? The person had it for a little bit at this size, never molted or anything. We met in person several weeks ago, so the T wasn't shipped. He claimed that the specimen was silking and eating just fine before he took her out of her home and into the deli cup for me. Don't understand what happened to her. She is housed in a HUGE container, but only has about 2-2.5" from top of the soil, to the lid. So she didn't fall and injure herself. Just weird to me.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
People think she's got a parasitoid grub inside, Austin. There's a few threads on the forum documenting the emergence and pupation of similar parasitoids.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Has it pooped? Is there a possibility that it could be impacted? Parasites seem to be the most likely answer, but you never know...

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haven't seen any poop really. But I haven't looked too close for poo. I'll check her tomorrow and look closer.

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
I'd really like to know what happens here as I have an adult female E murinus with the same thing wrong almost. The bulge on her abdomen looks more round and protrudes more irl than compared to the photos of yours. I will see if I can grab some decent pics of mine. She has webbed, but very little. I've only had her for a little over a month. I'm assuming mine has a cyst or rupture, but you never know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldnt put her down or anything either

observe and see.

ive seen 'hernia' looking things on abdomen
some case they survive after molt
sometimes it can be an issue during the molt
however I think its best to let her be and let her take care of it somehow.

sorry to hear

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Ooooh man, yeah that looks really weird. I'm also guessing some parasite. Best of luck to you, I'm really interested in what is going on in there.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
If it is a parasite I would put her out of her misery. Minimizing her suffering is much more important then IDing the parasite.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen that thread. Very weird. But I do not want to put it out of its misery. Just because, what if it is not a parasite. What if it molts and it suddenly goes away? Too many unanswered questions right now. It may seem like the humaine thing to do, but without knowing what's going on, IMO there is no need to kill it.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I've seen that thread. Very weird. But I do not want to put it out of its misery. Just because, what if it is not a parasite. What if it molts and it suddenly goes away? Too many unanswered questions right now. It may seem like the humaine thing to do, but without knowing what's going on, IMO there is no need to kill it.
It could just for some reason have a fluid build up or is unevenly distributing nutrients, could be anything really so all you can do is wait. If it is a parasite then we gain some knowledge, if she molts out of it then you still have a spider, every one wins (well except for the spider in one instance).

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Dude, that sucks! Very sorry about that - especially since my girl just molted fine again and ate her first meal tonight again. Hopefully it's not a parasite and repairs itself with a molt - although from the looks of it I think that would be a miracle. Best of luck!

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, upon checking on her last night, noticed something...

She will be molting anytime now