H. petersii sling with no telson

Khagra

Arachnosquire
I separated the babies tonight. Removed mother from tank first, but I accidentally startled her, and she grabbed onr of her babies which quickly shambled away to hide underneath her. My guess is this guy is the one she grabbed. Currently 2i.

I've hear the odd story on rare occasion that they can survive without a telson as long as they're still able to poop.
Is it possible this guy might make it? :C I'd hate to see him die, the rest of the brood was raised successfully with no issues.

Last edited:

Khagra

Arachnosquire
ive spent a stupid amount of time trying to research if there was anything i could do.. lol.
It finally ate last night for the first time, roach nymph.. i guess now it's the waiting game.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've had a few in that situation. They can completely loose the telson and survive because the anus is still left there(child friendly scorpion) But what happens in a situation like you have there with that one, it heals over and blocks the intestine. Let us know if something weird happens and it makes it. I'd expect it to die though.

Khagra

Arachnosquire
Yeah.. I figured that it probably wouldn't make it, just hoping for the best.
On that note though, is there a way to 'humanely' kill scorpions if it doesn't heal up okay?

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
I'd just toss it in the fridge for about 10m so it dopes up. Then in the freezer for 20-30m. Should ensure a fairly easy death.

Or flatten it as quickly as possible. I don't think I could do this though.

Since it's eating I'd leave it be for a bit. If it shows signs of lethargy and such then do what you must.

Khagra

Arachnosquire
It died overnight. Too bad, woulda been awesome if it had made it.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
Sorry to hear. It would have been awesome indeed. It seems like scorps just don't survive without their telsons. Perhaps it's a wound that just doesn't heal properly due to the venom?

I'm supposing there's a valid scientific reason under lying this but my experience with scorps is incredibly limited and I'd hate to take a haphazard guess. Especially considering my anatomy regarding them is fairly abysmal. I hope someone else can chime in and give some answers :).