Not sure what plant to get

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I was thinking of getting some plants for greenery, and I don't really want to get plastic, a little bit because it's wasteful, mostly because it's not as fun :) The soil would be fairly shallow peat moss (but it could be made deeper, I suppose), the lighting would be fairly dim, humidity 60% and up, temperature 65 degrees F to about 90 degrees (though usually 70% humidity and 70-80 degrees). Any suggestions? Is it even possible to grow plants in those conditions?

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
You will want to make sure your T room doesn't go below 70 degrees. I don't think peat moss would be good for terrarium plants unless you use a fertilizer stick also you will probably want to get some sort of grow light. I would suggest using pothos.

Karmaz

Arachnopeon
Pothos is a shade loving, humidity loving vine with big heart shaped leaves that are variegated with shades of green. They grow like weeds, I'm always trimming mine. Peace lily's also love lower light and warm humid areas. However both of these plants also love water. If using them in a terrarium I would suggest planting the plant in its own container and then covering said container with substrate, unless you have a critter that loves wet substrate. Also having real plants and their water needs will spike your humidity levels, so you may have to increase ventilation or otherwise adjust your habitat. Sadly plants that love dry soil usually love lots of light, like succulents (cactus, aloe vera etc)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Rhus Diversaloba. Hardy, drought resistant, grows from low shrub to 100 foot vine, and lots of fun!

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Are there pothos or peace lilies that fit in an 18" cube terrarium? Should have mentioned that to start with... Arachnosmack, I don't know anything about tarantulas, but my Heterophrynus batesii whipsider does fine with occasional drops a bit below 70 degrees. Karmaz, would covering with substrate be purely aesthetic? Or is there another reason?
Snark, why not just go for Dendrocnides moroides, which even comes from a rainforest like my whipspider?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Last edited:

DETHCHEEZ

Arachnosquire
Like most have already said Pothos works good

Also Spider Plant work pretty good

Karmaz

Arachnopeon
Are there pothos or peace lilies that fit in an 18" cube terrarium? Should have mentioned that to start with... Arachnosmack, I don't know anything about tarantulas, but my Heterophrynus batesii whipsider does fine with occasional drops a bit below 70 degrees. Karmaz, would covering with substrate be purely aesthetic? Or is there another reason?
Snark, why not just go for Dendrocnides moroides, which even comes from a rainforest like my whipspider?
Pothos grow very quickly, however it's nothing to just chop off a vine here and there. So, I don't see why it wouldn't fit as long as you don't mind some gardening. Covering with substrate would be for visual value and to keep your pet out of the plant's soil.. Plants like fertilizer and things that could pose a threat to your pet.

VesuviusX

Arachnopeon
I use Sphagnum moss and club moss . these seem to be thriving with dim light in coco peat with damp/humid conditions :D
I also use baby's tears or Irish moss, this survives well to.

Last edited: