New mantis info

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I have two indonesian double shield mantids bought from ebay (iloveplants). Very good seller! The pair is still alive! However, they did not mate successfully. Could I remate them?
IMG_0017.jpg

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
And how would I do that? And what is a good place for them to lay there ooths on?

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
If he mounted but did not connect, they can be introduced again. He might be successful this time! Introduce the female to the male, after she has been well fed, and be at the ready to observe a connection/break up a fight.

Often they lay on the lid or wall of their container, but she should also have sticks of varying widths, a bark slab or two, as additional sites to lay on. I haven't bred Pnigomantis specifically, this is me comparing them to Hierodula and other mantids with similar ecology.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Do they go after roaches and grasshoppers? Other bugs? This is my first exotic mantis. How would I remove the egg cases from the walls of the container? Could there hatch be delayed?

LazzeZee

Arachnopeon
And please don't separate them during a fight with your hands, hurts like hell if the little bastard is biting you ;-)

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
The mantis actually drank water off my hand. It kind of is spiny/ticklish. And how long do males/females of this species live for? I need enough time so that the male gets it correct. I did an another attempt and that the male got scared and flew off of her.

Last edited:

Karmaz

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately you can't force him to do the deed, or force her to accept him just continue making sure your female is well fed. Try placing their enclosures side by side for a few hours, then after your female is fed and calm introduce the male back into her enclosure. You need to observe and be ready to save him if he ends up being on the menu before the act, after the act you might as well let her have him. Make sure you're not hovering too closely or doing anything to startle him or her. Let him do his thing, don't place him right next to her. The females of this species are very aggressive, if you can get her engrossed in eating you can try placing him right behind her, don't just drop him on her though!

You seem very uniformed about this species, did you do any research prior to purchasing them? You don't even know what to feed them it seems, yet you're trying to breed them. Forgive me for being harsh, but I think I may have missed something here.. Do you know their housing needs? Temp needs? Anything? This link may help you. http://www.mantispets.com/advanced-mantis-care---species-specific.html http://scabies.myfreeforum.org/archive/rhombodera-sp-malaysian-shield-mantis__o_t__t_4278.html

Last edited: