Aphonopelma bicoloratum

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah, one of my pride and joy. It has taken a bit of few years to grow this species at the size of 3" to 3.15" inches legs stretched out. One of the long lived tarantulas and very tiny baby tarantulas you will ever own. This is a Aphonopelma bicoloratum cb female. I have owned a previous female that was at 5" inches years back, I mated her but no sack.

Mature males look a lot different than the females.

Aphonopelma bicoloratum - Female

---------- Post added 08-04-2015 at 08:25 PM ----------

Here is a photo of my old Aphonopelma bicoloratum mature male. I've also included photo of my old adult female.

Aphonopelma bicoloratum - Mature Male

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Beautiful tarantulas these are on my wish list. glad you posted pictures. We need more of these in the hobby. At what size does the female start showing these colors?

cold blood

Staff member
One of the most beautiful and one of my most coveted of species. Great pics as usual Jose!

I had NO idea the males were so very different looking. At what size do they get black like that, is it only after they mature or is it early on??

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beautiful tarantulas these are on my wish list. glad you posted pictures. We need more of these in the hobby. At what size does the female start showing these colors?
I can't remember, but I would have to say maybe 1" inch is when the spider starts to get its colors.

---------- Post added 08-05-2015 at 04:21 AM ----------

One of the most beautiful and one of my most coveted of species. Great pics as usual Jose!

I had NO idea the males were so very different looking. At what size do they get black like that, is it only after they mature or is it early on??
The males look exactly like the female until it reaches maturity. I believe my old male was at 4" inches once he matured.

I like posting photos of mature males of any species, cause it's important for us to know what the males look when they mature. We always see photos of immature females, males or unsexed.

Last edited:

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ah, one of my pride and joy. It has taken a bit of few years to grow this species at the size of 3" to 3.15" inches legs stretched out. One of the long lived tarantulas and very tiny baby tarantulas you will ever own. This is a Aphonopelma bicoloratum cb female. I have owned a previous female that was at 5" inches years back, I mated her but no sack.

Mature males look a lot different than the females.

---------- Post added 08-04-2015 at 08:25 PM ----------

Here is a photo of my old Aphonopelma bicoloratum mature male. I've also included photo of my old adult female.

Aphonopelma bicoloratum - Mature Male

I love the natural outdoor photos. I guess you let them go in certain areas and take many pictures and hope they cooperate. About how many shots do you take to get these pictures. From slight shadowing under these tarantulas these photos where taken before 12:00 noon most likely on a slight overcast day. Great photos the lighting is perfect. My favorite part is from the straight cut of the grass the bottom three where taken in the yard. Truly talented photographer.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
E
I love the natural outdoor photos. I guess you let them go in certain areas and take many pictures and hope they cooperate. About how many shots do you take to get these pictures. From slight shadowing under these tarantulas these photos where taken before 12:00 noon most likely on a slight overcast day. Great photos the lighting is perfect. My favorite part is from the straight cut of the grass the bottom three where taken in the yard. Truly talented photographer.
I take my photos either early morning or late evening. I also take the photos in a shaded area with no direct sunlight. It's not grass but moss that I'm trying really hard to keep it as green as I can. Utah is a very dry state so it's a challenge for me to keep the moss green.

Many thanks to all of you for the support of my photos even though most of the time I use my IPad. I do have a Nikon camera that I hardly use.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
See her eat in action. She has been a good eater since I've had her when she was a tiny little monster baby.

Aphonopelma bicoloratum - eating a cricket

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I'm going to request for you to please stop uploading photos. My wish list can only handle so much

Thank you.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm going to request for you to please stop uploading photos. My wish list can only handle so much

Thank you.
Right on! I'm loving it taking photos of my spiders of what I have left. I welcome any one that lives in the area by me, to lend me your freshly molted tarantulas for a photo shoot.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Right on! I'm loving it taking photos of my spiders of what I have left. I welcome any one that lives in the area by me, to lend me your freshly molted tarantulas for a photo shoot.
May take you up on that offer