Good reptile book

Big B

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm looking for a good book on reptiles in America. I really like the Audubon reptiles and amphibians as it has lots of pictures. I would prefer something newer. Any recommendations?

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Have you ever gotten Peterson field guides? I prefer Audobon but it's something to look into. Snakes of the Southeast by Gibbons is decent if you don't mind having book with specific locations within America. Can't think of a northwest reptile book off the top of head right now.

Big B

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
U
Have you ever gotten Peterson field guides? I prefer Audobon but it's something to look into. Snakes of the Southeast by Gibbons is decent if you don't mind having book with specific locations within America. Can't think of a northwest reptile book off the top of head right now.
I haven't seen the Peterson guides first hand. Is there a lot of pictures in it? I want to be able to show my son a picture of what we find out in the field.... If possible.

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
U

I haven't seen the Peterson guides first hand. Is there a lot of pictures in it? I want to be able to show my son a picture of what we find out in the field.... If possible.
There are pictures in each of them. It does a pretty decent job of showing pictures of venomous versus some of the non-venomous snakes in the area. For example, copperheads and northern water snakes are native in my area. It shows pictures of both. There's a guide for different areas in America.

As far as how detailed every picture is, I'd have to pull it out of my bookshelf since I haven't used it since last year. Will try and remember tomorrow.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think Peterson is the best, I remember it's what the schools were using back in the 80's.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you're looking for something a bit more in depth than a field guide I'd strongly recommend you check out Snakes of the United States and Canada by Carl J. Ernst. He also penned a similar volume on turtles. Both are fantastic. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
I only used petersons back in the 90's but haven't bought any updated versions, but they were def the best back then

Big B

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you're looking for something a bit more in depth than a field guide I'd strongly recommend you check out Snakes of the United States and Canada by Carl J. Ernst. He also penned a similar volume on turtles. Both are fantastic. Expensive, but worth every penny.
Looks like I will be getting both books. I like what I read about your suggested book and the field guide would be great too!