Lethargic death ?

prksword

Arachnopeon
Hi Everyone

I have a Thrixopelma ockerti, that is about 2 yrs old and lately it`s behaviour has me worried that its about to die for no apparent
reason ...I had a Vagans of approx the same age and (4 months ago)day by day over the span of a few weeks it became more
lethargic and refused to eat ... in fact it would not even go after food ... finally it just sat in one spot and refused to move its legs
or respond to a paintbrush tip ... then one day dead! didnt even curl up into the death posture ( took about 1 month beg to end)
... no fungus around mouth , no parisites in enclosure , temp constant between 74-76 deg, moisture in cage , good ventilation ,
feedings 1/week 3 large crickets. ..... Now the Ockteri usually sits hi up on the sticks or on the wall of cage now its belly down on the
substrate and this is been going on 1 week ... this T is a huge hair kicker and it is barely attempting to do it when i moved the T to a
new enclosure .

I have not been able to figure this out and i need to before i have another fatality

Please help " RUDY"

thx
prksword

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is it a mature male if not there is a reason for sure there dieing at that early age .maybe chemicals around you not aware of ,conditions of cage sound good

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I've had a few lethargic T's that just couldn't find the water dish in the week or so after a molt. One thing I tried was putting a second water dish right in front of them, that seemed to work. Of course as the above poster mentioned, if its a response to chemicals, who knows what will happen. And if its a mature male, its probably just near the end of its life cycle.

prksword

Arachnopeon
I was thinking some kind of fungus in book lungs? or maybe parasite ??? the T. Ockteri is a female .molted about 3 1/2weeks ago.. I have read about increasing the Temp to the mid 80`s
as a intensive care arrangement ... i will try the 2nd water dish

truecreature

Arachnoknight
I lost my 3'-ish C. fasciatum just the other week in a very similar way to yours. She stopped eating 3-4 weeks ago and got progressively weaker until she died, with no indications of a problem: not a mature male, no *visible* parasites, no mold in enclosure, no twitchy movements, couldn't have been dehydrated (abdomen looked normal and she had multiple water dishes) or exposed to chemicals (they're in a very out-the-way part of the house). I marked it down to just one of those unfortunate random-seeming tarantula deaths that happen sometimes, though for you it's concerning that it's happening to a second one. Because we don't know what's wrong there's not much that can be done. I'd at least quarentine it from the others, and if it starts to happen again to another T remove it right away

prksword

Arachnopeon
Well i have good news .. after crankin the temp in the enclosure up to 84 deg for 2 weeks .. the Ockteri has revived itself and has started eating again ,,,
i would say its back up to about 80 % of normal behavior whatever was wrong the T has passed threw it ... Kinda like eating a bad shrimp is what i figure.
anyways im watching closely in case it comes back ... I may have been just one of those " things" ..

prks