Do A. henzis fast?

shelpen

Arachnosquire
My A.henzi hasn't eaten in at least 6 weeks. She closed off the entrances and hangs on the walls -- both the signs of the impending molt... But nothing is happening! She is brown as usual, not darkened at all...
The temp is ~80F day and ~74F night, room humidity 40%, the usual diet B. dubia, I moist a corner of her enclosure time to time so some water seeps into her burrow and she "drinks" off the floor, she is around 1.5".

What's going on? :o_O:

Do A. henzis fast like G. roseas? :eek:

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Yes they do. An adult Aphonopelma hentzi can fast for a couple years. Yours is probably in premolt which takes months

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I would expect any species from a highly seasonal rainfall climate to fast. If they shed when water and food are scarce, they're in trouble. Evolution would have fixed that from happening.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Yes, they most certainly do. All of my henztis are acting a little off this year - the ones I've had in captivity for several years, and the new ones acquired due to flooding. I have a couple that haven't eaten for a while. If she's got a big bum and access to water, I wouldn't worry too much.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Not to mention they aren't great eaters like "genics". Aphonopelma are lazy eaters :)
Don't worry. Had a Hysterocrates gigas who disappeared for months from last meal and everything went fine.