Petition

Defalt

Arachnosquire
I did not know where else to put this , but i figured that this pretty much encompasses all animals ,
heres a petition that i created , its for the benefit of singaporean reptile and invert lovers , this message is not restricted to singaporeans , please read the points i have brought up in the petition description and consider all the arguments i have given , thanks

Petition:www.gopetition.com/petitions/appeal-to-ava.html you might have to copy and paste , my ipad crashed each time i tried putting a hyperlink

Karmaz

Arachnopeon
You make some very valid points, however since I am a US resident I'm not sure if I can sign the petition. But, I agree with your efforts.

Liverwort

Arachnopeon
Sounds great! I'm going to sign the petition later, but there is one point that I can't understand:

• Singapore's biodiversity would be greatly affected if such exotic pets were released in the wild, as most of them are non-native.

Again this is fundamentally flaw. . I also notice that there are many parrots in Singapore lately, since they are not endemic to Singapore and could have been escape pets should we cull all of them. Most of this animals, are not cheap and people don’t just throw them away. Just look at our neighbor across the causeway and do you see that happening?
Yes there could be escape pets and just hypnotically they survive in Singapore wont that be interesting? I would love to see hedgehogs in Singapore which are clean creatures rather than the rat which live in the sewer.
Could you elaborate it a little further? I don't think you can support hypothetical introduced animals just because you like them more. They're still a major problem.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Just my 2 cents. Singapore is up to it's eyeballs in rich people looking for toys and playthings. It has one small forest preserve that is very carefully protected. To say the local flora and fauna is endangered would be the grossest understatement. The total land mass of all the Islands of Singapore is about the size of New York City. To make the laws regarding exotic pets lax would open the flood gates and kiss off what little is left of their biological and botanical heritage.

Defalt

Arachnosquire
So you dont trust that these people can contain the animals ? As mentioned , these guys are a pricey
investment also , i do not see how animals such as parrots are any less likely to escape

Defalt

Arachnosquire
Native verts like the malayan box turtle and various fish are legal , all other native reptiles are illegal and inverts are all illegal except for feeders , speaking of which , i got a small dubia colony for like 3.50 which is pretty damn cheap

---------- Post added 08-14-2015 at 02:47 PM ----------

Dogs
Cats
Rabbits
Guinea pigs
Hamsters
Gerbils
Mice
Chinchillas
Red-eared slides (red-eared terrapins)
Birds (birds listed in the CITES Appendices must be imported with CITES permits or Certificates of Origin)
Fish (fish listed in the CITES Appendices must be imported with CITES permits or Certificates of Origin)
Land hermit crabs (Coenobita rugosus)
Green tree frogs (Litoria caerulea)
Malayan box turtles (Cuora amboinensis) listed in CITES Appendix II

---------- Post added 08-14-2015 at 02:47 PM ----------

Thats the full range of legal pets

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was looking up what verts and inverts are there in Singapore, looks like there is some really interesting stuff there. Are you able to get some kind of permit for breeding threatened species? What if you worked with a zoo, not for one but 'with' one, breeding stuff at home to help out some how. That may not be your goal though, maybe you're just trying to change something on a bigger scale there.

Defalt

Arachnosquire
i guess there is a way , but you need to have a facility that is properly certified which takes lots of money , the animals that im trying to get legalized here are animals such as
leopard geckos and some of the cheaper animals , i dont think that the cost of the certification process is really worth it , and by "interesting stuff" do you mean local species ?
well yeah , i mean , yeah , theres plenty of places where ive seen tons of water monitors all the time and i guess theyre pretty cool

The Snark

Old Timer
So you dont trust that these people can contain the animals ? As mentioned , these guys are a pricey
investment also , i do not see how animals such as parrots are any less likely to escape
To belatedly get back to you. I have absolute and complete faith and trust in humans to do one thing and only one: fantastically stupid moves.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Singapore in general. It's virtually a police state. The government runs virtually every aspect of peoples lives with an iron fist. Stay within the rigidly set boundaries and you're fine. That has paid off with it being one of the cleanest and safest countries on earth. It has also insulated much of it's people from a lot of the rude rules of reality. Head to any of the dozens of shopping malls on any given day and see the foo foo crowd that shouldn't be trusted to keep animals more hazardous than toy poodles. Mention niche in the ecosystem and invasive predators to that crowd and you will get wall to wall blank stares.

And then, Singapore has an invasive. With it's very limited land area and some of the most up to date technology, the Aedes mosquito packing dengue has won the war in spite of every effort the government has tried.

All things take into account, and plenty of examples of well educated well meaning people unleashing environmental destruction through introduced animals, I'm going to have to side with the government. I've seen too many places where all native fauna have been decimated. Singapore is trying to preserve what little they have and more power to them. Take a trip to Fiji and see what chaos the mongoose has wreaked. Or the islands with the black snakes. Give the big $$$ crowd an inch and they will screw it up for everyone and go on their merry elite way, unheeding and uncaring.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
To belatedly get back to you. I have absolute and complete faith and trust in humans to do one thing and only one: fantastically stupid moves.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Singapore in general. It's virtually a police state. The government runs virtually every aspect of peoples lives with an iron fist. Stay within the rigidly set boundaries and you're fine. That has paid off with it being one of the cleanest and safest countries on earth. It has also insulated much of it's people from a lot of the rude rules of reality. Head to any of the dozens of shopping malls on any given day and see the foo foo crowd that shouldn't be trusted to keep animals more hazardous than toy poodles. Mention niche in the ecosystem and invasive predators to that crowd and you will get wall to wall blank stares.

And then, Singapore has an invasive. With it's very limited land area and some of the most up to date technology, the Aedes mosquito packing dengue has won the war in spite of every effort the government has tried.

All things take into account, and plenty of examples of well educated well meaning people unleashing environmental destruction through introduced animals, I'm going to have to side with the government. I've seen too many places where all native fauna have been decimated. Singapore is trying to preserve what little they have and more power to them. Take a trip to Fiji and see what chaos the mongoose has wreaked. Or the islands with the black snakes. Give the big $$$ crowd an inch and they will screw it up for everyone and go on their merry elite way, unheeding and uncaring.
I rarely side with the the government, but in this case I do too. The vast majority of people will do the stupidest things.

Defalt

Arachnosquire
I rarely side with the the government, but in this case I do too. The vast majority of people will do the stupidest things.
Unfortunately this is true , one solution is to simply jack up the prices at first to limit the number of impulse buys , then slowly reduce them as they are better understood and accepted as pets

The Snark

Old Timer
An exotic animal to ride in the passenger seat of your Ferrari or Lamborghini. Dubai. Cheetahs as example. (The Kodiak bear cub having it's own special room in the back of an SUV was a little over the top me thinks. What's the plan when it grows up and adds SUVs and SUV owners to it's diet?).
In Singapore, I watched the neighbor of my business partner. 2 or 3 times a week she would find some excuse to go shopping in the city proper in her BMW convertible so she could show off with her pair of greyhounds that rode in the back seat. (You know how much she had to pay just to drive in the inner city area during the day, Defalt)

The money crowd doesn't give a rodents rectum about ecosystems or the welfare of the animals. The greyhounds were kept in a 1x2 meter kennel when not on display. Do you think those cheetahs get their 5 mile runs every week? How do you get these often highly educated people to act responsibly with animals?

Stupidity or arrogant contempt or whatever. Humans simply can't be trusted to act in a responsible sensible manner. Oh that horrible thing went potty on the cashmere rug again! I'll have to have the chauffeur drop it off near the forest preserve some night.

(A few kilometers from here. A woman decided she simply must have the 'in' animal of the moment and forked up several thousand $$$ for an English bulldog. The show piece lasted one week until she discovered a bulldog pup can knock a large husky man off his feet with an exuberant wiggle of it's bottom. And of course the personal hygiene of those animals requiring constant attention. It now lives in a small bamboo pen. Untrained and far too powerful for anyone to control, breaking loose and producing litters of pups of very questionable lineage like an assembly line machine)

Last edited:

Defalt

Arachnosquire
I was kinda thinking more like leopard geckos or bearded dragons , but i see where you are coming from