My new Jerusalem crickets!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Got three immatures, thanks DETHCHEEZ! Hopefully I can rear them to adulthood and then maybe breed them. Here are some pics of the largest one.

JC#1.JPG

JC#2.JPG

JC#3.JPG

Aren't they so cute :p

numbat1000

Arachnosquire
J crickets are the best! I kept an adult that I purchased from bugsincyberspace for about six months; one of the most entertaining and intimidating orthoptera I have ever kept. :biggrin:
Pretty coloration on yours, btw. How big is he?

Good luck with raising them!

--numbat1000

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
The biggest one is a tiny bit over an inch long, the other two are about 2 cm long.
Thanks!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Would like to know more about their bite.. i've read - while not venomous - it's very painful :)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
The adults apparently can give you a pinch, but nothing serious. At the size mine are, they couldn't even hurt me, unless they bit down on a soft spot, say in between my fingers, or my armpit, lol!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
A large adult jerusalem cricket can inflict a very painful bloody bite- especially males. They have jaws like bolt cutters.

I found an enormous 7cm female, the remains of another were not too far away. Their mandibles are rock hard- like a crab's shell.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Really? Bloody? Ok then, I ain't handling these as adults! If you don't mind me asking smokehound, what was your egg laying setup for these?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
A large adult jerusalem cricket can inflict a very painful bloody bite- especially males. They have jaws like bolt cutters.

I found an enormous 7cm female, the remains of another were not too far away. Their mandibles are rock hard- like a crab's shell.
That's what i've heard too :)
Seems great to have and raise.. but here i never saw them. I think they are available only in USA..

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Here are some more better pics of the same specimen above, it has plumped up since I got it, it ate cat food, some carrot, a Rhabdoblatta formosana nymph, and two mealworms!

JC#4.JPG

How rude! :p
JC#5.JPG

JC#6.JPG

And here are some pics of its behind, anyone able to sex these?

JCsex#1.JPG

JCsexing#2.JPG

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
female Stenopelmatus have an ovipositor, easily visible. From what I can see, the specimens shown appear to be males.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Thanks! It's just one specimen btw, the others are too small for my camera to get good pictures. Is the ovipositor only visible on adults, or would I see it on the nymphs if they were females? Thanks in advance! :)

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
You will see it in nymphs. It somewhat resembles a katydid's ovipositor.

Just like true crickets, where female nymphs will have short stubby ovipositors.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Dang it then, mine are all males! :p

---------- Post added 08-29-2015 at 08:24 PM ----------

What should I do if they aren't eating? My two smallest ones have barely eaten anything since I got them, they just stay still at the bottom of their cages. Should I decrease the substrate depth?

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Dang it then, mine are all males! :p

---------- Post added 08-29-2015 at 08:24 PM ----------

What should I do if they aren't eating? My two smallest ones have barely eaten anything since I got them, they just stay still at the bottom of their cages. Should I decrease the substrate depth?
No. sounds like they're getting ready for a molt. Do place a carrot in there for moisture.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Oh really!? Crap, I should take out the mealworms then! Thanks for the info! :)

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Here are some pictures of the one in the first an second set of pictures, she has recently molted and she is BIG now! And she is not even an adult yet!

JC#12.JPG

JC#13.JPG

JC#14.JPG