Injury, rupture, just poop?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I just bought a E. pulcherrimaklaasi, and I immediately knew that it was in heavy premolt. I also saw some dried poop right above the spinnerettes, which I didn't see as an issue. I took it home, rehoused it, and left it to acclimate itself. After several hours, I checked up on it and took a much closer look at that dried poop. It doesn't seem to have grown, although now I'm not so sure on what this is.

I took a picture with my camera and blew it up. It almost looks as if a chunk of exoskeleton is hanging from the abdomen, and white fluid is resting at the opening. I know that hemolyph is clear, so I know that it's not 'spider blood'. Any ideas on what this is? As a side note, there is no death curl to speak of, only extremely heavy premolt.

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

Jack III

Arachnocultured
Old Timer
That looks like a significant injury with hemolymph present. The color may be because it has been exposed for some time.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Its basically a hernia I have seen similar blow outs on B.albopilosum... Both ruptured and died during molting..

You may have better luck..

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Ouch, didn't want to hear that. Luckily, the owner of the shop and I have good rapport, I'm sure he'll swap it out for another. Poor girl, I hope she makes it through this molt.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
If you can work something out with the shop owner, try and get him to exchange it if it dies. You'd be surprised what a tarantula can live thorough.

El Consciente

Arachnopeon
Personally I wouldn't give up on the T just yet.

Certainly notify the shop owner, but Ts are often far more resilient than we give them credit for. It's unfortunate timing, but until the molt comes just ensure that the moisture levels in the tank are satisfactory. That will at least in part mitigate the potential for additional molting complications...

Best of luck - please do update us on how everything turns out.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Hobo - I actually spoke to the owner this morning before getting on here, and I suggested that I try and care for it through the molt. I would be able to provide closer care than the shop would, and he agreed. If it survives the molt, all will be fine. If not, I'll get store credit for it. She's apparently a kicker, and with all that hair gone, you can clearly see how far along she is. I'm expecting a molt within a week or two at most.

Given that this is indeed a rupture, would I be justified in saying that a successful molt would fix all of this? I've never dealt with a rupture before, but my logic would say that a molt would heal all wounds. I'll update when she molts, thanks everyone for the input, as always.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Not necessarily. Depends on how close she was to molt when she sustained the injury. If the underlying exoskeleton was also ruptured while forming, all the molt will do is pull her guts out. :(

My fingers are well crossed though. GOOD LUCK!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Update:

I spoke to the owner today (another T enthusiast), and he is "almost certain" that the T will die during the molt. So, unfortunately, things aren't looking too bright for her. Because of this, he went ahead and gave me another E. pulcherrimaklaasi, but also let me keep the one with the injury. According to him, if I manage to keep this T alive through a molt, I deserve a free spider. I feel bad for this T, but there isn't much to be done.

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
not sure what you will do

but if you are going to wipe that off some how and apply super glue to close the open wound
then
do this in a very well ventilated area. the fumes from super glue can kill the spider in non ventilated enclosure. I lost a spider due to this, not from the bleeding but from the chemical solvent that is in the glue which smells pretty volatile.

they wont close up the wound on their own and I understand molt is expected but how do we know when exactly? maybe close up the wound at least for the time being?

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
This close to a molt I think superglue can only cause catching and tearing during ecdysis. I would not recommend it.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Not necessarily. Depends on how close she was to molt when she sustained the injury. If the underlying exoskeleton was also ruptured while forming, all the molt will do is pull her guts out. :(

My fingers are well crossed though. GOOD LUCK!

Good thing they secrete their new cuticle when ecdysis starts, right after apolysis ends and the digestive fluids are released, so that's not a possibility. ;)

Still, I don't think this T has high chances. GL :)

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
If the cuticle were intact, I'd agree with you. I have DEFINITELY seen superglued injuries cause problems in molt though. So not only is it a possibility, it is a likely probability.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
The injuries themselves caused the problems most likely, but why would anybody use superglue anyways? They reek of chemicals... I wouldn't even go near my T with it...

KcFerry

Arachnosquire
Maybe I'm a bit of an optimist, but I don't really agree that this is certain death. If that's her inner exo... and she's about to molt...it's possible that it may come free when she splits her abdomen. Even if the area around the ulceration gets stuck, you may be able to cut it away and just nurse her to her next molt.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Update 2.0:

Well, I decided to name her Ripley, because she's resilient. She molted while I was at work today, and she appears to be 100% healthy. There's absolutely no sign of the rupture, and she's showing off those green femurs with pride. Also, it's certainly a 'she', and the spider that was intended to replace her looks male to me. Maybe we'll have a pairing in the future! Thanks to everyone for the input, as always. I'll post some pictures when she's all hardened up from the molt.

Prle

Arachnopeon
I'm really glad that molt went well and she's fine now.