Found this at a thrift shop, any thoughts

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found this at a thrift shop for a miniscule price, and thought I could easily turn it into a T tank with very little effort, on the inside it's 7 1/4 × 7 1/4 × 13 inches the top is 3 inches deep. Would love to get any input or ideas, I already know that the latch/lock needs to be replaced, the wood needs to be treated to protect it from water, but the hinges seem to be fine. I'm thinking of using it as a P. Regalis tank.

Attachments

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Not too sure how secure the glass is in there, but personally, I wouldn't want pane glass near my spiders. I'd try to remove that glass and replace it with acrylic. This would also allow you to give some needed cross ventilation.

And if you plan on hanging it (does it even hang?), ensure it can handle the weight. Though, I'm sure you've already thought of that aspect.

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was thinking of removing the glass and using plexiglass but was still thinking about it, it does hang but I was never thinking about hanging it. The top has good ventilation, and I was still trying to figure out adoing more ventilation to the lower portion. I'm still considering removing a side and making it a front facing door, since I wouldn't like to use the top as a primary way into a abereal T tank

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Oh, the only way to get in is through the top? Yeah, then I'd definitely do the acrylic. Beyond destroying your little friend's hard work every time you open it, the risk of escape is just too high in my opinion. Make it a door with some black decorative hinges from Home Depot for the front. But really, I love this. I've wanted to do a hanging one for awhile now, and what you found is absolutely ideal.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
My first thought was - It looks like the scepter from Teen age Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 ;P

cold blood

Staff member
Oh, the only way to get in is through the top? Yeah, then I'd definitely do the acrylic. Beyond destroying your little friend's hard work every time you open it.
A poec wouldn't have too much webbing right at the top, an Avic yes, but not a Poec. I personally don't like it, especially for an arboreal, just too much top ventilation even if you were to cross ventilate as well. Something fossorial (like a Ceratogyrus) might be better as ventilation won't be as critical. The shape (and glass) should give excellent visibility into a burrow.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
For the amount of modifications needed to make it T friendly, I say fill it with pine cones and some battery-operated fairy twinkle lights.

SnowMonkey

Arachnopeon
I have a similar setup for my tree frog. I decided against putting a spider in there as the lid would be too much of a pain. Too easy for an escape. I like being able to easily watch the animal while I open just a tiny crack. The ventilation from the filigreed top is awesome, and it looks great. I sealed the glass with aquarium silicone and siliconed all the bottom to try to make it as damp resistant as possible.

SnowMonkey

Arachnopeon
I just got two more. I have my P. irminia in one and my P. pulcher is going in the other as soon as I finish sealing the glass. The ventilation is as good, if not better than a critter keeper and I keep everybody plenty dry so that's not an issue.