Sick G.Rosea

3blackfangs

Arachnopeon
I bought a G.Rosea in october 2014. She was alright until 2 weeks ago.
I had mites that started to grow in my mealworms kritter keeper, i took all of my Ts
In another room and changed their enclosure. I cleaned everything, and waited about 3
days before buting them back in their respective terrarium.
My G.Rosea ran in her hide and didn't came out until today, she was in death curl
but could still unfold her legs walk around with no problems, she's a lot more agressive
and her abdomen look like she is in premol ( bald spot and dark skin ) but i am really
sceptical about the molting theorie since she molted 5 months ago and she's already
a 5" female. It can't really be the product i used to wash everything up because my
Other Ts are ok. I don't know what to think and what to do...

Last edited:

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
What is this product you used to clean their enclosures? Don't write it off just because she's the only one reacting. You could have done a poor job rinsing it all out of hers compared to the others, or she could just be more sensitive.

I honestly can't understand the need to dose their enclosures with chemicals because of what I'm guessing was grain mites in your feeders....

3blackfangs

Arachnopeon
I used a formula of 1 time bleach, 2 times water. Oh and she seem to be very photosensitive.

Chainsaw Reptiles

Arachnoknight
I named Him one of the only T's I have that had a name without me buying it with that name. He was called Creamy xD

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I used a formula of 1 time bleach, 2 times water. Oh and she seem to be very photosensitive.
Next time I wouldn't use bleach. I don't trust it when rinsing it out. Just soak it in tap water. With the chlorine and chloramine everything should be dead in a week.

Honestly though, you didn't have to clean your tanks. Small amounts of mites are normal and probably healthy. It's only when you get a lot that you should worry.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Pretty drastic measures to dislodge and clean them all out based on a few mites in your meal worm, you probably just stressed her out by overreacting. Sounds more like a stress curl if she's just uncurling and moving about. Above there's really no reason to use chemicals, warm water and a good scrubbing cleans everything just fine.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I Lost My First Every T I Ever Brought Back In 2005 Around 1 1/2 Months Ago :(
That was random.. :confused:

Thread :bomb: much

---------- Post added 08-26-2015 at 07:07 PM ----------

That's a ton of bleach I use roughly 1/4th that much to disenfect reptile tubs and I would never dream of using bleach on any arachnid enclosure... If the enclosure is that dirty burn the thing...

Sometimes if the enclosure is really gross I use 2 drops of dawn dishsoap to 1 liter of water but most of the time I just use very hot water and paper towels.

She could be more sensitive to the bleach than your other Ts or maybe you didn't rinse her enclosure as well...

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
That was random.. :confused:

Thread :bomb: much

---------- Post added 08-26-2015 at 07:07 PM ----------

That's a ton of bleach I use roughly 1/4th that much to disenfect reptile tubs and I would never dream of using bleach on any arachnid enclosure... If the enclosure is that dirty burn the thing...

Sometimes if the enclosure is really gross I use 2 drops of dawn dishsoap to 1 liter of water but most of the time I just use very hot water and paper towels.

She could be more sensitive to the bleach than your other Ts or maybe you didn't rinse her enclosure as well...
Vinegar is also good for cleaning, and rinses easy. Let it dry and air out for a couple days -- once the vinegar smell is gone it's safe to use.

Good luck with your T.

cold blood

Staff member
Lets start at the source...mealworms. First off, they should be kept dry, which would be an inhospitable place for mites in the first place.....more importantly, they can and should be kept in the fridge. They last maintenance free for months there and you'll NEVER see a mite if you keep them refrigerated.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Lets start at the source...mealworms. First off, they should be kept dry, which would be an inhospitable place for mites in the first place.....more importantly, they can and should be kept in the fridge. They last maintenance free for months there and you'll NEVER see a mite if you keep them refrigerated.
The op may be breeding them?

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Vinegar is also good for cleaning, and rinses easy. Let it dry and air out for a couple days -- once the vinegar smell is gone it's safe to use.

Good luck with your T.
I've always used vinegar for cleaning invertebrates' cages. It does work, I agree.
I've always used 1 part bleach to 9 parts water. Of course I got tired of staining my clothes by accident a couple times and switched to F10 for non-invertebrates.

varanoid

Arachnopeon
Mites can live in dry environments. Their population wont explode but they can definitely survive and multiply. You are 100% correct in saying that refrigeration will keep the in check though. IIt won't kill them but it will prevent them from increasing in numbers.

3blackfangs

Arachnopeon
It wasn't a small amout, i came back from 2 days at my friend house and mites were all over my room, i cleaned everything, even my walls because there was too much

---------- Post added 08-28-2015 at 03:02 PM ----------

I dont keep them in the fridge because i have a "mealworm farm"