G. porteri pairing update!

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
A while ago I posted about receiving a mature male G. porteri from a fellow keeper I helped when he was starting out. Tonight I finally worked up the courage to pair that male with my psychotic mature female G. porteri, "Ginger". I am incredibly happy to report that the pairing couldn't have gone better! :biggrin:

At 8:50 I corralled the male in a 16 oz. deli cup that was well-ventilated. At 8:54 he was placed in the female's enclosure, deli cup and all and I observed them quietly for nearly two hours. Both the male and female showed increasingly frantic signs of interest, but no noticeable aggression. At approximately 10:45 I set the shark tank containing the male in one of the corners on the opposite side of the aquarium from the female. For nearly 10 minutes he just sat there, but then suddenly he started crawling out, cautiously crab-walking toward the female and tapping frantically the instant his front feet touched substrate. The female kept her back to him as he approached and seemed to be completely ignoring him. As soon as he touched one of her legs she lunged at him and I feared the worst, but the male was, as I expected from his size, easily able to hook her fangs and hold her in position while he achieved multiple insertions. He was strong enough to bull-doze her into one of the corners of her enclosure and even nearly managed to force her on to her back near the end of the process. At the point that he pushed her on her back I could see that he was no longer trying to make insertions, so I put a large paintbrush between the two of them and got the male back into his shark tank. He was returned to his permanent enclosure shortly after I worked the manic glee out of my system (approximately 10 minutes after the pairing).

Not only did the pairing go well, I even managed to get great video footage of it with a friend's phone. I'll be uploading it to YouTube as soon as I figure out how to get the video file from the phone to my computer.

I just had to share the joy with those of you who have helped me get to this point. This is a humble start, but for me it's a milestone. :D Here's hoping I get a good sac out of this.

While I know I have said this before, thank you all so much for your advice, your friendship, your humor, your scoldings and everything in between.

And the best part is, this is still only the beginning. :love:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
1stly..haha my first rosea was ginger too [rosea not porteri] 2ndly im glad you boy was able to manage, iv debated on trying to pair my mm up with 2nd fm to speed up her molting [looks rly dark for a long time] i wish you luck.. im probably pulling my fm rcf's sack in 2 weeks [30 days] and if its not ewl ill octo mom the situation ^_^ i kept worrying about the "roseas eat sacks" but i think my girls happy and healthy cause i have no issues as of yet and im at day 17 ^_^

as for vid from you phone, if its a smart phone upload it strait to yt from your phone ^_^ thats what i did with mine seen im my pic thread [tho linked wrong cuz yt is not usable at work and i was using tapatalk]

---------- Post added 08-27-2015 at 03:40 AM ----------

Nice. I have a feeling a new demand and appreciation is coming soon for this species.
i hope your right ;)

NTslinger

Arachnopeon
Nice. I have a feeling a new demand and appreciation is coming soon for this species.
I sure hope so! I think would be awesome if these guys got a little more admiration, especially since I know many people started off with these. I'm already up to date with my appreciation for both G. porteri and G. rosea since I've found out that they can no longer be brought in from Chile. I've always loved all the Rosies in my care, but now I gotta get more :D Still, some people see Brachypelma albopilosum (CITES listed, right?) as undesirable. It kind of makes me wonder if demand and appreciation will truly increase, although I'm guessing the price for one might.

Good luck with your breeding project, LythSalicaria!

GG80

Arachnoknight
but the male was, as I expected from his size, easily able to hook her fangs and hold her in position while he achieved multiple insertions. He was strong enough to bull-doze her into one of the corners of her enclosure and even nearly managed to force her on to her back near the end of the process. At the point that he pushed her on her back I could see that he was no longer trying to make insertions
And they say that romance is dead :).

On a serious note, congratulations. Hope you get a good sack. I'm thinking about trying to source a MM for my MF porteri but have never tried before as I'm only two years into the hobby.

Was it your first mating attempt?

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
1stly..haha my first rosea was ginger too [rosea not porteri] 2ndly im glad you boy was able to manage, iv debated on trying to pair my mm up with 2nd fm to speed up her molting [looks rly dark for a long time] i wish you luck.. im probably pulling my fm rcf's sack in 2 weeks [30 days] and if its not ewl ill octo mom the situation ^_^ i kept worrying about the "roseas eat sacks" but i think my girls happy and healthy cause i have no issues as of yet and im at day 17 ^_^

as for vid from you phone, if its a smart phone upload it strait to yt from your phone ^_^ thats what i did with mine seen im my pic thread [tho linked wrong cuz yt is not usable at work and i was using tapatalk]
Haha! Small world. :D Normally I would consider my problem solved and do as you suggested...unfortunately I was rather nervous during the pairing and a few (read: MANY) four letter words slipped through my dainty lips during video recording. :p I suspect the mods would appreciate me editing those words out before I post it here. :)

And they say that romance is dead :).

On a serious note, congratulations. Hope you get a good sack. I'm thinking about trying to source a MM for my MF porteri but have never tried before as I'm only two years into the hobby.

Was it your first mating attempt?
Yup, this was my first attempt. :) You've actually been in the hobby a little longer than me. I'll be hitting the 2 year mark in 7 months. If you've been thinking about giving breeding a try, I heartily recommend it. :D As Poec54 says, the spiders do most of the work. Separating the specimens once they've done the nasty dance wasn't near as difficult as I was expecting it to be. Mind you, I'm sure this does depend somewhat upon the spiders being in cooperative moods.

GG80

Arachnoknight
Yup, this was my first attempt. :) You've actually been in the hobby a little longer than me. I'll be hitting the 2 year mark in 7 months. If you've been thinking about giving breeding a try, I heartily recommend it. :D As Poec54 says, the spiders do most of the work. Separating the specimens once they've done the nasty dance wasn't near as difficult as I was expecting it to be. Mind you, I'm sure this does depend somewhat upon the spiders being in cooperative moods.
Well I'll be really at the 2 year mark in 3 months :). It has been on my mind for a couple of months now just as an experiment and to gain experience in the breeding process. I know rosea/porteri aren't in demand and take ages to grow but as I said, it's all about getting experience for me with a relatively easy species to manage.

So..............if anyone in Ireland has a MM male G. porteri and wants him to mate then let me know.

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Good luck. I too paired my female this year. Hopefully lots of little feet putter patter'ing around

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
As promised, I've uploaded the video to YouTube. Unfortunately I was NOT able to edit the audio, so I'm just going to post a link. Please mute the video if you're offended by four-letter words. I'm not dropping them like a tourettes patient or anything, but still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNI56cbcDuo