Discolored spot on abdomen after molt.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heya, folks.

This evening I noticed an odd spot on the side of my B. Smithi's abdomen.
It molted a few days ago, and did not have the spot previously.
I've had it about a month, it'd been eating well until roughly two weeks ago preparing for the molt.
I have not fed it since the molt, I generally wait a week to ten days.

This is not something I've come across before, so I'm hoping to have some light shed on the situation.

The substrate is a little damp as of now, I raised the humidity a bit when I noticed it going into premolt.
It's typically dry, with a water dish available.
I don't believe this is fungus or mold.

It doesn't appear raised, so I'm doubting it's a cyst. It's got hair growing on it, and doesn't look misshapen or deformed. The old molt was mostly destroyed and I didn't think to check it over for any internal lumps, but I can say for certain that the discoloration wasn't there before the molt.

In my care it's not suffered a fall or other injury, though I bought it from a local store so I can't really verify something couldn't have happened to it while there.
My first guess was that it was an old injury healing out after molting, but I really have no idea.
My second guess was something to do with pigmentation, but since it wasn't there previously, it's likely not the case.

Anyone have experience with this?

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It seems like it could be a piece of stuck on molt.
I hadn't considered that.
It doesnt appear that way to me, since it doesn't look like anything's stuck to the abdomen.
Still, it's a good suggestion.
I'm a bit apprehensive to try rubbing it with a cotton swab, in case it is an injury of some sort. As far as I can tell it hasn't been hindering the spider at all, I just don't want to make anything worse.

Oreo

Arachnocookie
Doesn't look like it's from the previous molt to me either. If it's not different pigmentation, it may just be a sparse patch with less urticating hairs. Nothing to worry about...rubbing an injury with a cotton swab wouldn't help anyway.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Doesn't look like it's from the previous molt to me either. If it's not different pigmentation, it may just be a sparse patch with less urticating hairs. Nothing to worry about...rubbing an injury with a cotton swab wouldn't help anyway.
Thanks for the input.
My worry that it's an old or current injury is exactly what's keeping me from trying the swab. If it had been a piece of molt, that would have been what I'd try.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think it's just a coloration anomaly. I wouldn't worry about it.
I appreciate your thoughts.
I'll give it some time and keep an eye on it.

It's likely be a good chunk of time before another molt.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i think blue hit the nail on the head.does not looks like balding nor molt issues/injury. looks like what we call in the herp world a "paradox spot" with the exception of it not being a cross breed [sense all smithis look alike and they dont have albinos n etc lol] pretty unique tho ^_^

Last edited:

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think blue hit the nail on the head.does not looks like balding nor molt issues/injury. looks like what we call in the herp world a "paradox spot" with the exception of it not being a cross breed [sense all smithis look alike and they dont have albinos n etc lol] pretty unique tho ^_^
This makes me feel better.

Appreciate the input. I'll keep monitoring throughout its next molt and see what happens.

NTslinger

Arachnopeon
I have a B vagans juvie that gained a spot like that on the dorsal side of its abdomen when it molted. I'm not willing to go and say it had a bad molt, but one of its legs appears to be missing a small chunk of exoskeleton. It seems healthy otherwise, and is one of my best eaters. I'm not sure if its abdomen and leg abnormalities are related, but it's due to molt soon as far as I can tell. I'll be sure to let you know what happens.
photo(7).jpg
Sorry for the picture quality. The leg spot is located on leg IV next to the discoloration on the abdomen.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a B vagans juvie that gained a spot like that on the dorsal side of its abdomen when it molted. I'm not willing to go and say it had a bad molt, but one of its legs appears to be missing a small chunk of exoskeleton. It seems healthy otherwise, and is one of my best eaters. I'm not sure if its abdomen and leg abnormalities are related, but it's due to molt soon as far as I can tell. I'll be sure to let you know what happens.
View attachment 138628
Sorry for the picture quality. The leg spot is located on leg IV next to the discoloration on the abdomen.
That's very interesting!
Maybe this isn't as uncommon as I thought.

No previous injuries that you're aware of?
Any feeders in the cup when it molted? (Dumb question, I know, I'm just covering bases)

Please do keep me updated. I wish your little one the best.

NTslinger

Arachnopeon
No previous injuries that you're aware of?
Any feeders in the cup when it molted? (Dumb question, I know, I'm just covering bases)
It was shipped to me in very early premolt, but I don't think that caused the abnormalities. Your question is not a stupid question, but no, there were no feeders in the cup. It looked really healthy, but I was a bit shocked when it molted with the light spot and missing a piece of exo. Nevertheless, it acted normally and I haven't been too worried about it. Has yours been eating and doing its normal tarantula thing?

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It was shipped to me in very early premolt, but I don't think that caused the abnormalities. Your question is not a stupid question, but no, there were no feeders in the cup. It looked really healthy, but I was a bit shocked when it molted with the light spot and missing a piece of exo. Nevertheless, it acted normally and I haven't been too worried about it. Has yours been eating and doing its normal tarantula thing?
Early premolt isn't generally a sensitive time, but I could never guarantee someone roughly handling the box during transit couldn't have some affect.
I based my comment off my assumption that you knew not to leave any feeders in with a spider in molt. The board would have crucified you otherwise. :biggrin: I just still wanted to ask. The damaged section on the leg made me think of a cricket bite, though we can rule that out.

Mine looked very healthy when I bought it, showed no signs of stress or injury, and ate heavily farther into premolt that I expected a Brachy to.
After it molted, it's given me no reason to suspect that it's stressed or injured now, either.
It just had a big meal, after being given some time to harden up. It ate like a pig, so I'm satisfied for now.
I'm still keeping an eye on it, though. The spot really surprised me.

NTslinger

Arachnopeon
Haha, yes, I know. I haven't been here long, but I know I would have been in some major trouble with other members if I had left a molting tarantula with feeders. I actually never use crickets, and I haven't bought them in years since I've switched over to roaches. With my B. vagans, I usually remove uneaten food after less than a minute. With these guys, I can tell when they're approaching premolt when they don't grab their food before it hits the substrate.

As far as someone possibly being rough with the box during shipping, there were a few DOAs with second instar B. vagans that were shipped in the same container. All the other tarantulas, many of which were juvies, were packed amazingly, however. I'm really not sure what might have caused the weird spot. I have two other B. vagans juveniles and 5 small B. vagans slings from the same shipment that have been molting normally.

I'm very glad your tarantula seems to be doing great. I'm sure she'll be just fine, but it's great you're keeping an eye on it.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha, yes, I know. I haven't been here long, but I know I would have been in some major trouble with other members if I had left a molting tarantula with feeders. I actually never use crickets, and I haven't bought them in years since I've switched over to roaches. With my B. vagans, I usually remove uneaten food after less than a minute. With these guys, I can tell when they're approaching premolt when they don't grab their food before it hits the substrate.

As far as someone possibly being rough with the box during shipping, there were a few DOAs with second instar B. vagans that were shipped in the same container. All the other tarantulas, many of which were juvies, were packed amazingly, however. I'm really not sure what might have caused the weird spot. I have two other B. vagans juveniles and 5 small B. vagans slings from the same shipment that have been molting normally.

I'm very glad your tarantula seems to be doing great. I'm sure she'll be just fine, but it's great you're keeping an eye on it.
That's for the most part what I expected. I had faith you knew what you were doing, but still felt I could ask, even if it was stating the obvious. No harm except making me look foolish, eh? :sarcasm:
I still use crickets for a fair amount of mine. A lot of my arboreals have no interest in roaches, and I refuse to tong feed most of them on principle. It just takes one to decide to run up my tongs fang-first to ruin my week. The rest seem pretty happy taking anything they can overpower, so I did end up with a roach colony.

I'm sorry to hear about your little Vagans' that didn't make it.
Sounds like you got them from someone reputable, so I'm hoping those were taken care of.
I'm at a bit of a loss as to what could cause the leg issue. Soggy exoskeleton from wet conditions during a molt, perhaps? Good to hear the others are growing strong!

Thanks for the kind words!
I feel like I'm being a stalker, I'm checking on it several times a day to see if I can sense any change in behavior.
They're hardier than we give them credit for if care is done right, but I can't say enough how worrisome that spot is/was.

---------- Post added 09-02-2015 at 03:15 AM ----------

i personally like it, give it some character.. how big is she?
That's an excellent way of looking at it!

I've taken to calling it Rorschach, after the "ink blot test."

If I had to guess, I'd say just shy of 3", give or take .25"

You and NT both called it "she." Is that your impression from the underside shot?
I typically keep them gender neutral (it, them) until I can confirm via exuvium but the last one was almost completely destroyed.
I'm terrible at fusillae sexing.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
That's for the most part what I expected. I had faith you knew what you were doing, but still felt I could ask, even if it was stating the obvious. No harm except making me look foolish, eh? :sarcasm:
I still use crickets for a fair amount of mine. A lot of my arboreals have no interest in roaches, and I refuse to tong feed most of them on principle. It just takes one to decide to run up my tongs fang-first to ruin my week. The rest seem pretty happy taking anything they can overpower, so I did end up with a roach colony.

I'm sorry to hear about your little Vagans' that didn't make it.
Sounds like you got them from someone reputable, so I'm hoping those were taken care of.
I'm at a bit of a loss as to what could cause the leg issue. Soggy exoskeleton from wet conditions during a molt, perhaps? Good to hear the others are growing strong!

Thanks for the kind words!
I feel like I'm being a stalker, I'm checking on it several times a day to see if I can sense any change in behavior.
They're hardier than we give them credit for if care is done right, but I can't say enough how worrisome that spot is/was.

---------- Post added 09-02-2015 at 03:15 AM ----------

That's an excellent way of looking at it!

I've taken to calling it Rorschach, after the "ink blot test."

If I had to guess, I'd say just shy of 3", give or take .25"

You and NT both called it "she." Is that your impression from the underside shot?
I typically keep them gender neutral (it, them) until I can confirm via exuvium but the last one was almost completely destroyed.
I'm terrible at fusillae sexing.
i have a bad habbit of hes and shes.. most people do i think.... but me, sometimes ill talk about a adult fm molt sexed, and still say he XD... however, the slow does look kinda fm to me but im no pro. i had a gbb i swore up and down was fm.. pretty much up till pen -.-

if is a girl and you want to get rid of her keep me in mind lmao ;D not much for a grammy but i love me a unique animal ;)

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have a bad habbit of hes and shes.. most people do i think.... but me, sometimes ill talk about a adult fm molt sexed, and still say he XD... however, the slow does look kinda fm to me but im no pro. i had a gbb i swore up and down was fm.. pretty much up till pen -.-

if is a girl and you want to get rid of her keep me in mind lmao ;D not much for a grammy but i love me a unique animal ;)
I know the problem all too well.
Tarantulas feel somewhat masculine to me. I know, sexist, but something about them makes me automatically want to call them "he."

Haha, I'll keep you in mind, although I'm awfully attached to it. Especially since it has character now. ;)
Grammostola Smithi?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I know the problem all too well.
Tarantulas feel somewhat masculine to me. I know, sexist, but something about them makes me automatically want to call them "he."

Haha, I'll keep you in mind, although I'm awfully attached to it. Especially since it has character now. ;)
Grammostola Smithi?
Haha half asleep ment Grammy or brachy (infact i got rid of almost all now) their slow growth kills me.. So much so even my Pulchra i just git not ling ago is maybe being shoved out the door soon o_O

Just earlier i was saying "dang been up 36hr and aint made an arse of myself..something is wrong here..."

Last edited:

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha half asleep ment Grammy or brachy (infact i got rid of almost all now) their slow growth kills me.. So much so even my G. Pulchra i just git not ling ago is maybe being shoved out the door soon o_O
No doubt! Still nursing my pot of coffee.

Pulchra's are wonderful spiders. I have a pair of them I couldn't give up when I phased out all my NW.
This Smithi was an impulse purchase when I hit up a local store for some cork bark. Elvira's TV show conditioned me.