Pehaps shed like some cork bark

gobey

Arachnoknight
Apologies. My phone submitted this post before I was finished.

Anyways. My OBT is a burrower. She dug a nice cave under her provided.... Cave,.,

However she often likes to come out... And climb the enclosure walls.

Would adding some bark for her to climb even make a difference? Her enclosure is rather bland save for a fake plant and her hide.

I just figure she wants to climb stuff every now and then.

What I don't really want is her to web it up and make a new hide in the bark. Her underground hide is easy to plug up for maintenance and has prevented any bolting or threats. Her and I have gotten along quite well for such a notorious T.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
She'll still climb the sides either way, maybe she'd climb them less with cork though.

My older female has 2 cork hide and 2 pieces that form a vertical triangle in the middle and she's still pretty often on the sides of the enclosure. She does use everything else too though, even the 2 hides(but she prefers one over the other).

It's your choice, either way she'll be fine.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
These are very active spiders - I really wouldn't worry so long as there isn't anything harmful it could fall on. Just make sure you're keeping the T properly, as it would be climbing if you have the humidity too high.

And I agree, these T's are more infamous than they really should be. Yes, they require caution and experience, but they're not the demons that people make them out to be. Both my A. geniculata and my G. rosea are far more aggressive than my three OBT's. The former two will actively chase down the paintbrush, the latter three will simply scurry to their respective hides.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Thanks guys.

Her enclosure is pretty dry. Not humid. I only really keep dry species. Only a few of mine require any kind of moist substrate or anything.

She his all winter. Like literally buried herself I'm her cave. I didn't see her for like 5 months. Now that it's warmer she has been very visible and active.

I just didn't know if it really makes a difference in the Ts quality of life if they have something more natur to climb about on or not. Since she's keen to climb.

Mostly she sits. But she goes on an upward adventure I'm sure once a day.

And yeah. My LP and G. porteri are more defensive than her. She's very shy when she knows you're there.

My only real nasty OW is my C. marshalli. Who regularly slaps and hisses and shows her fangs.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These are very active spiders - I really wouldn't worry so long as there isn't anything harmful it could fall on. Just make sure you're keeping the T properly, as it would be climbing if you have the humidity too high.

And I agree, these T's are more infamous than they really should be. Yes, they require caution and experience, but they're not the demons that people make them out to be. Both my A. geniculata and my G. rosea are far more aggressive than my three OBT's. The former two will actively chase down the paintbrush, the latter three will simply scurry to their respective hides.
I think it's more the speed and venom that most people are concerned about.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I think it's more the speed and venom that most people are concerned about.
Absolutely, but if precautions are taken (like the OP plugging up the burrow), then those don't matter too much. Again, all about experience. Not to downplay these spiders, because good lord, I'd never want to be bitten by one lol

And gobey, as for having natural things to climb on, I don't really see a difference. For all of my terrestrials, all they get is a tall terracotta pot for a hide and a water dish. As for the arboreal species, I go with cork bark just because the shapes are perfect, but if I was skilled enough in forming terracotta on my own, I'd just make something! I actually stray away from natural as much as possible as to avoid mold... although mold isn't much of an issue with arid species such as yours.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My OBT built her own hides, slides, hammocks, etc. Climbed quite safely with all her webbing.

In fact, most anything *I* added to enclosure got webbed up and buried.