Bag Transfer Method

Amimia

Arachnosquire
So I went to a Repticon recently and looted up on some Ts. One of them being a 1" P. subfusca. She was in one of those 4" low ceiling plastic Ziploc cup things for the con, and the substrate was wood chips, so obviously not the best living conditions. Now for the transferring I was a little nervous about because I couldn't put the cup in the enclosure I was moving her to and she is quite the skittish thing to just drop a catch cup/vial on. Then I found the bag method! Worked 100% flawlessly and is now my go to method for moving slings ^.^

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I found this method for the first time last year. Don't know what took me so long to find it. I wish I knew about it sooner lol. Since then I've had no arboreals or other tarantulas decide they'd prefer crawling up my arm or hide in the shower curtain. I haven't seen a video tutorial but after reading about it and trying it I'd say it's very effective for fast species.

Congrats on the new addition ;)

KristinaMG

Arachnosquire
Can you link to an explanation of this method? Rehousing some of my faster slings has been tricky for me. Recently moved my P. regalis and P. irminia slings and it was not easy. They are freakin fast.

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Can you link to an explanation of this method? Rehousing some of my faster slings has been tricky for me. Recently moved my P. regalis and P. irminia slings and it was not easy. They are freakin fast.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?247763-Video-of-bag-transfer-method

In the OPs post it has a link to instructions and if you scroll to the bottom it has a video of someone using the method to transfer their OBT.
I used one of those bags they give you at Petsmart when you buy crickets. Worked flawlessly :)

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I like the bag method more in theory than execution. The couple of times I've done it, it took a very long time and seemed to mostly just terrify and stress out my Poecs. It didn't seem worth the added protection for me to do that to them. I prefer the old fashioned way of old into new, with crumpled towels (for escape attempt hiding spots) and catch cups at hand just in case.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like the bag method more in theory than execution. The couple of times I've done it, it took a very long time and seemed to mostly just terrify and stress out my Poecs. It didn't seem worth the added protection for me to do that to them. I prefer the old fashioned way of old into new, with crumpled towels (for escape attempt hiding spots) and catch cups at hand just in case.
I do this as well. If it runs I just let it run. They don't usually go very far.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Oh really? It seemed to go really quick and smoothly for me. Maybe it was a one time thing haha

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh really? It seemed to go really quick and smoothly for me. Maybe it was a one time thing haha
I've had good luck and quick timing with the bag method too. Maybe I just keep getting lucky?

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The bag is the only way to do it right imo.

cold blood

Staff member
I think smart thinking and patience is the most important thing regardless of your method.....problems occur at a higher rate if you are in a rush to get the job done.

I've never seen a reason to use the bag method, I use the bathtub method.

KristinaMG

Arachnosquire
You seem surprised at this. I sort of figured it was a known fact regarding both of these species.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
No not surprised. Knew it long before I decided to get them. Knowing and experiencing are two different things however.

Prle

Arachnopeon
I totally agree with Cold blood. I had problem only once and that was my first T transfer with freshly arrived Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens sling.

To be honest, I was afraid of that fast little creature (my first T) and I wanted to finish that transfer as quickly as possible. Of course, I made a couple of wrong and quick moves, little Fluffy got scared and rushed on the enclosures outer side. Luckily, I had prepared catch-cup before, and T was the sprinter type, not the marathon type, so everything went well at the end and, thanks God, I didn't hurt T.

Amimia

Arachnosquire
I think smart thinking and patience is the most important thing regardless of your method.....problems occur at a higher rate if you are in a rush to get the job done.

I've never seen a reason to use the bag method, I use the bathtub method.
Completely agree!

PMMEYOURTs

Arachnopeon
As far as the safety of myself and the T, I've found it easiest to tip the vial sideways and coax the T into a bag with light paintbrushing. with the bag taped to the vial, theres no risk of speedy escape sling skydiving. I've provided a diagram demonstrating my process:

Untitled.jpg

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Bag method didn't work well for me last December rehousing an OBT -- there appears to be several bag methods -- some perhaps better than others.
And I feel at a disadvantage using the bathroom tub; if I am on my knees, bending over of tub -- well, my reflexes just aren't going to be that good.
I prefer a tall table, no clutter and open space. Side-by-side transfer or cupping seems best, with enough room for recapture if T has different plans from mine.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Bag method didn't work well for me last December rehousing an OBT -- there appears to be several bag methods -- some perhaps better than others.
And I feel at a disadvantage using the bathroom tub; if I am on my knees, bending over of tub -- well, my reflexes just aren't going to be that good.
I prefer a tall table, no clutter and open space. Side-by-side transfer or cupping seems best, with enough room for recapture if T has different plans from mine.
I prefer tub, though I agree with your critiques. Personally, tall tables scare me because I am always cognizant of the possibility of the kid running right off the lip and falling. That doesn't mean it's not a valid method though... t's really a matter of what works for you.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I prefer tub, though I agree with your critiques. Personally, tall tables scare me because I am always cognizant of the possibility of the kid running right off the lip and falling. That doesn't mean it's not a valid method though... t's really a matter of what works for you.
I was thinking more of my speedies re: tall table! My terrestrials haven't been very 'bolt-ey' - I find myself gently prodding them with a paintbrush to move/walk -- and they are walking slowly like a sulky toddler at bedtime. hehe

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I have used the bag method rehousing fast and feisty spiders, exactly the same as demonstrated in your picture :) it has worked wonders for me, it's easier and safer and the risk of an escape reduces a lot. This is a great method to use for aboreals and OWs IMO.