What should I put in here?

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I ended up with an extra tank gifted to me from a friend, and rooted through my "stuff box" where I keep all my unused decorations.
Found an excellent piece of driftwood, and couldn't resist the temptation of setting this up.

Problem is I don't have any unhoused tarantulas, so I figured I'd ask you folks for suggestions as to what to purchase for it.

It's 12"x12"x18", the back side of the driftwood is concave like a half tube and has several nice cutouts. I typically don't like fake plants, but this one ended up looking nice in there.

Last edited:

Nicolas C

Arachnosquire
Phormingochilus everetti.

Jokes aside, tell us what Ts do you already have, it'll help to share ideas.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Phormingochilus everetti.

Jokes aside, tell us what Ts do you already have, it'll help to share ideas.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk
Ha. Haha. Hahaha.
Look who's got jokes. :laugh:

I figured it didn't really matter what I currently had since I'm generally pretty open to suggestions, though I'd be happy to list them if it'll help.

Brachypelma Smithi
Chilobrachys Dyscolus
Chilobrachys Fimbriatus
Chilobrachys Huahini
Cyriopagopus Sp. "Hati Hati"
Cyriopagopus Schioedtei
Encyocratella Olivacea
Eucratoscelus Pachypus
Grammostola Pulchra
Haplopelma Albostriatum
Haplopelma Sp. "Big/Black" (Minax?)
Haplopelma Vonwirthi
Heteroscodra Maculata
Heterothele Gabonensis
Heterothele Villosella
Hysterocrates Gigas
Idiothele Mira
Lampropelma Sp. "Borneo Black"
Lampropelma Violaceopes
Monocentropus Balfouri
Ornithoctonus Aureotibialis
Pelinobius Muticus
Poecilotheria Hanumavilasumica
Poecilotheria Metallica
Poecilotheria Miranda
Poecilotheria Ornata
Poecilotheria Rufilata
Poecilotheria Striata
Poecilotheria Subfusca "Highland"
Poecilotheria Vittata
Pterinochilus Chordatus
Pterinochilus Lugardi
Pterinochilus Murinus
Selenocosmia Crassipes
Stromatopelma Calceata

I don't keep a lot of NW species, I found out the hard way I'm very reactive to urticating hairs.
I'm not opposed to more, although I'm just not a fan of Avics.
I also wouldn't mind multiples of what I have currently. I have at least two of most, specifically Chilobrachys. Can't get enough of that webbing.

Side note, I don't have any variety of Phormingochilus. I may end up with one on principle.

Last edited:

Chainsaw Reptiles

Arachnoknight
Get A Small Colony Of Large Slings-Small Juvi P.regalis ;3 I Love The Setup Too :D And The Haplopelma Sp. Big/Black Is A Minax Indeed.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pokies aren't really communal.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get A Small Colony Of Large Slings-Small Juvi P.regalis ;3 I Love The Setup Too :D And The Haplopelma Sp. Big/Black Is A Minax Indeed.
Thanks for the compliment!
I'm a little hesitant to start up another communal project after my H. Villoselas gave me a headache with cage maintenance. They were also a nightmare to separate.

I was thinking that the driftwood would be nice for a Poec of some sort, though. I had also considered seeing what would happen if I let a Chilo "dress it up." I don't know how they'd tolerate a more vertical arrangement.

I had been unsure of what to call the Minax, since I had been lead to believe that wasn't the correct name for them anymore.

Pokies aren't really communal.

That was my thought as well. At best, some are just tolerant for short periods of time before things start going south.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mhhmmm Maybe Something Arboreal Thats Heavy Webbing A H.mac Maybe?
I can always use more H. Macs, although the couple I have just picked their favorite spot, and enveloped themselves in dirt curtains.
I was disappointed they didn't make some sort of elaborate tube web but they're probably the most secretive spider I have, with the exception of my S. Cal.

Heck, I see my Haplos more than them.

Though, maybe with all the cover in there one would have different behavior. It'd be nice to have one comfortable enough to catch regular glimpses of it. They're beautiful spiders.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H.maculata don't web much. They do a decent bit when young, but adults just web in one area usually and incorporate dirt into it.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
H.maculata don't web much. They do a decent bit when young, but adults just web in one area usually and incorporate dirt into it.

That's pretty much what I experienced.
Still, no complaints. Vertical pet holes are still fun.

---------- Post added 08-29-2015 at 06:56 AM ----------

My H.mac AF Is A Webbing Queen

---------- Post added 08-29-2015 at 07:46 AM ----------

A OBT Maybe...
A P. Murinus would probably make some impressive webbing in that tank. I've never tried an arboreal set for one, but they're generally pretty adaptive. That's jumped to the top of my list.

Chainsaw Reptiles

Arachnoknight
Get A Cheap One See How It Goes For A Month or 2 And If You Like It Keep it In There, Iv Kept GBB's In Arboreal Tanks... So Has Tarantulaguy1976.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get A Cheap One See How It Goes For A Month or 2 And If You Like It Keep it In There, Iv Kept GBB's In Arboreal Tanks... So Has Tarantulaguy1976.
It's more important to me that the spider likes it. :biggrin:
If it's happy, so am I.

That said, I'm genuinely curious to see what would happen.
I wouldn't want to stick a sling or a 1-2" juvie in there though, I'd like to find an adult. It's a lot of space.

GBB's are another good option. I've had some in semi-arboreal tanks before, and they utilize pretty much every square inch. Adults are pretty hard to find here, though. I'll have to keep an eye out.

---------- Post added 08-29-2015 at 07:24 AM ----------

Okay, starting to narrow it down to a few good options.
P. Murinus, C. Cyaneopubescens, and possibly a Chilobrachys Sp.

Any other thoughts?

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I Have Never Had A Chilobrachy Sp. In 10 Years Of T Keeping... But I Know There Heavy-ish Webbers...
Some are more prone to burrowing than others. My Fimbriatus love their tunnels. The Dyscolus seems to be content above the substrate.
They all web profusely. Everywhere.
If you get the chance, I'd definitely recommend purchasing one. Even the slings fill their enclosures with web, sometimes to the point I have to tear it open to feed them.

Chainsaw Reptiles

Arachnoknight
I Have To tear It with My H.incei Juvi... And So many of My other Heavy Webbers... Im Planning On Buying A Couple As I Can get Them For £1-5 At The Cheapest At The Expos So I Think Im Going To Get A Couple... Any Suggested Species?

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I Have To tear It with My H.incei Juvi... And So many of My other Heavy Webbers... Im Planning On Buying A Couple As I Can get Them For £1-5 At The Cheapest At The Expos So I Think Im Going To Get A Couple... Any Suggested Species?
Those web like crazy too, with the added bonus of not being typical pet holes. Olive or gold?

I'd put my vote in for Fimbriatus. Underrated spiders, probably because all you ever see is webbing. But on the rare sighting, adults are stunning. They don't get as big as Huahini, or Guangxiensis, but they aren't small either.

They are really fast, and have a bit of a temper, though.