AF H. lividum may be gravid - super deep burrow

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi all -
I obtained an adult female H. lividum recently and was told later she "could" be gravid. She has a deep burrow and the only time I see her is middle of the night if I happen to be up. If she does create an eggsac, is there any way to know - would she only keep it in the burrow? Would she just not come out anymore? She is looking absolutely huge but it might be my imagination.

Thanks.

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ugh -- ok, so in the middle of the night when she is out roaming, that kind of picture? Has to be pitch black in here and she moves fast. I will try.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Anyway that you can see in the burrow? I usually take my pictures in the dark with a flash on.

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Anyway that you can see in the burrow? I usually take my pictures in the dark with a flash on.
I can't see into the burrow at all.

Last night I woke up at 4am and went out to take a picture and sure enough she was NOT out (she usually is). I wonder if that's because I fed her a huge roach early in the evening and she only comes out when hungry? Anyway, I will try again one day this week if I wake up in the middle of the night again. It still will be tough because any movement or flashlight turning on and she bolts back into the burrow.

Nicolas C

Arachnosquire
Hello Sharno. Back to your question:

- If your H lividum is gravid, it's 99% likely she will make her eggsack deep inside her burrow. There it's safe and moist for her and the sack. Then, if you don't have any possibilities to look inside the burrow (for instance: if she has dug against the glass of the enclosure), you won't know... until you see hundreds of little babies crawling outside! Anyway: don't distrurb the burrow. Neither before nor after.

- You could have some clues nevertheless: if your lividum seems very hungry and has a big abdomen, could be she's gravid. If she stops eating and stays inside the burrow, it could be to stay near an eggsack (but also could be because of a coming molt)... Most probably she'll stay with the eggsack until the babies hatch. And won't eat until then.

Anyway, lots of luck! Keep us informed!