Are any of your T's sissies?

Karmaz

Arachnopeon
One of my My 2.5 inch LP's should be ashamed of itself. I gave him a 1/2 roach yesterday, today I checked only to find him hanging upside down in his hide, hiding from it. Everytime it got close he ran away. So, I pulled it out, after which he promptly came down and sat properly in his hide. I tossed it in with my grass spider who is legspan and all about the size of a quarter and she had it down and munching on it 3 seconds after it hit her web. Smh my LP's all seem to be sissy, except my adult female.. she was, but I think she finally realized she's a beast her last molt.

And no he's not premolt or even close.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
One of my My 2.5 inch LP's should be ashamed of itself. I gave him a 1/2 roach yesterday, today I checked only to find him hanging upside down in his hide, hiding from it. Everytime it got close he ran away. So, I pulled it out, after which he promptly came down and sat properly in his hide. I tossed it in with my grass spider who is legspan and all about the size of a quarter and she had it down and munching on it 3 seconds after it hit her web. Smh my LP's all seem to be sissy, except my adult female.. she was, but I think she finally realized she's a beast her last molt.

And no he's not premolt or even close.
Maybe he just wasn't hungry.

My boehmei is kind of a spaz. She'll run from crickets for like 20 mins, then all the sudden remember she's a hunter and chomp on it. Go figure.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
When it comes to eat? No way. Not even one. But my most "easy to spook" T's (when i open the lid or go too close) are Hysterocrates gigas, Megaphobema robustum and Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens.
Had a couple of "Haplos" in the past that were somewhat the same.

Karmaz

Arachnopeon
No I offered him a smaller roach right after I took the bigger one from him out of curiosity and he ran right out and grabbed it before I could close his lid.. He was hungry.. He's just a sissy, this is normal behavior from him. I actually notice this behavior from most of my LP's. If it's prekilled they won't discriminate on size, but if it's moving it has to be comically small for their size. After grabbing the smaller roach and running into his hide to munch he sort of reminded me of how a dog would look with one piece of dog food between its teeth. His pedilaps dwarfed the thing.

My adult female took the cake on this for the longest time.. Imagine a 6" LP that ran from an adult cricket, but would gladly take on 3 small crickets at once.. Her last molt she finally decided she'd eat adult crickets.. Smh. But she still runs from adult roaches then she'll just stop, like oh yea I can eat you and then tags it.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Tarantulas are as brave as they need to be and can afford to be. You don't know what predators they have to contend with in the wild. They face things that if they were a comparable size to humans, would make us look pretty cowardly. Imagine proportionately-sized centipedes, mongeese, baboons, coatis, and honey badgers. How brave and many would any of us be, especially without weapons? Once contact is made, it can easily and instantly result in the spider's death. What it does to avoid those situations or does when death is a second away has been shaped by thousands of years of evolution. It's reaction is what's worked.