Attn Haplopelma sp. Owners

PMMEYOURTs

Arachnopeon
Hello!

I have noticed across the board there is great difficulty identifying mystery Haplos and an overall general confusion with the genus. What I would like to do is create a one-stop shop thread with taxonomic proven examples of each species to alleviate frustration/confusion/mislabeled T's. I do need help with this great feat, if anyone could provie me with pictures and info on their haplo sp I will compile the data and create the product.

Specifically what I need is:
-The basics: Haplopelma sp. X w/DLS, M/F (confirmed)
-Pictures! Overhead, Underside, IV leg, Spinnerets, Chelicerae
-Taxonomic features (more pictures!): Ocular Tubercle, Spermathecae

Ideally, I would like to provide one example of each species male and female.
Anyone who can provide me with said info would be greatly appreciated.
Any advice on what I can include to improve the thread is highly encouraged.

Thanks!

Quick Reference:
Taxonomic info: http://www.striffler.net/papers/von...octonus_aureotibialis&Haplopelma_longipes.pdf

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was planning on doing this myself and share any info on Haplo genus photo thread

but I will PM you pics whenever/whatever I can get

I have H. sp. 'big black' exuvia
frozen hobby form (euro stock) H. 'minax'
H. schmidti exuvia
as years go by I should have more exuviae from other species. Some are juveniles right now.

give me a few days to get some pics.

I do not think we will be able to do much with new un ID'd species but it would be nice to have some pics/data base for information purpose.

will also include RF (leg IV / Leg I right? )
and any thorns in leg IV

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thank you!

Leg I / Leg IV got it lol

and I miss the T store UK

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think, in my opinion, having not just Haplo but other genus and their species 'bit part's for ID purpose shared on Genus pic thread is probably will be cool too.
Not saying we as hobbyists will ID stuff but we can have visual data to go buy instead of color or shape of spiders from picture of alive spider alone. Then we can have, hopefully, taxonomists stop by and chime in and teach us some stuff.

found my old post on DCF schmidti/hainanum, etc http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?84745-clarification-H.-hainanum-and-H.-schmidti-DCF&

hope that helps you as well

Instead of dispersing into FB or other websites I think supporting community as a whole in one place, aka discussion boards like this one would be better.

from myself I have Ornithoctoninae and Selecnocosminae Theraphosidae and Eumenophorinae
as time goes on I will post pics and share.

Last edited:

PMMEYOURTs

Arachnopeon
I think, in my opinion, having not just Haplo but other genus and their species 'bit part's for ID purpose shared on Genus pic thread is probably will be cool too.
Not saying we as hobbyists will ID stuff but we can have visual data to go buy instead of color or shape of spiders from picture of alive spider alone. Then we can have, hopefully, taxonomists stop by and chime in and teach us some stuff.

found my old post on DCF schmidti/hainanum, etc http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?84745-clarification-H.-hainanum-and-H.-schmidti-DCF&

hope that helps you as well

Instead of dispersing into FB or other websites I think supporting community as a whole in one place, aka discussion boards like this one would be better.

from myself I have Ornithoctoninae and Selecnocosminae Theraphosidae and Eumenophorinae
as time goes on I will post pics and share.
I agree completely. Especially because we all(the common collector) have the data sitting right in front of us. All it is, is a matter of compiling/logging that data into a single sticky thread and bam. Successful taxonomic identification.

Nicolas C

Arachnosquire
Not simple at all to do that. Some genera are a mess, including lots of Haplopelma / Chilobrachys / Ornithoctonus, etc. Volker von Wirth among others, is doing a great but huge work about identification. But lots of spp. are still awaiting analysis: are they different spp., different colour form of one same sp., even different genera?

If I stick on the given examples about Haplopelma schmidti / hainanum: in 2009, the reference you give us was valid. But as far as I know (but I've never met von Wirth, then wasn't able to discuss it with him!), there's a new H cf. schmidti dark form recently available in the hobby, and it seems it's not hainanum.

Things change so fast, every month I have the feeling a new asian T is discovered, and it's too soon to be categorical about their identification. Pictures of the Ts, even taken without flashlights, are not enough (unless it's from spermatecae, hairs, eyes, etc.) and identification from colours only isn't convincing.

Lots of works waiting for all the taxonomists around! If you're looking for a job... (sounds like my dream job, actually...!)

PMMEYOURTs

Arachnopeon
Not simple at all to do that. Some genera are a mess, including lots of Haplopelma / Chilobrachys / Ornithoctonus, etc. Volker von Wirth among others, is doing a great but huge work about identification. But lots of spp. are still awaiting analysis: are they different spp., different colour form of one same sp., even different genera?

If I stick on the given examples about Haplopelma schmidti / hainanum: in 2009, the reference you give us was valid. But as far as I know (but I've never met von Wirth, then wasn't able to discuss it with him!), there's a new H cf. schmidti dark form recently available in the hobby, and it seems it's not hainanum.

Things change so fast, every month I have the feeling a new asian T is discovered, and it's too soon to be categorical about their identification. Pictures of the Ts, even taken without flashlights, are not enough (unless it's from spermatecae, hairs, eyes, etc.) and identification from colours only isn't convincing.

Lots of works waiting for all the taxonomists around! If you're looking for a job... (sounds like my dream job, actually...!)
I understand that this is a big job and do not expect it to be done overnight, but what you're saying is what I would like to do. Not just a basic this is my tarantula picture, but actual taxonomical structures to properly identify the T. Thats why I came to the boards to get as much help/data from haplo owners as possible

Nicolas C

Arachnosquire
Your idea is an excellent one indeed. I hope people will chime in to realise this project, because it would be great to have an access to this kind of information on AB.

I'll keep an eye on this thread with great interest.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Most of the info you seek is already available. You want it compiled in one post? You may have to do it yourself.

Start first with Haplopelma papers. Here, here, here and here. (Don't stop there, there is more available. I'm just giving you a starting point)

Go to Advanced Search at the top right of this page>>> Click "Search Single Content Type">>> Enter "Haplopelma under Keywords>>> Enter "VolkervonWirth" under username>>>In "Additional Options" user the scroll bar in "Search in Forums>>>Click Tarantulas(This will limit the search to Chat, Q & D and Pictures(Yes, some of the genus specific threads have some great info))>>> Click "Search now"(Be sure to click the lowest button on the right, you want the search to be narrow so FS ads and such don't pop up).

Now, after reading all you can after the search through Volker's posts, I suggest you run these next list of names in the "Username" category while keeping the same search parameters.

Phormingochilus (Soren Rafn)
syndicate (Chris Allen)
Lopez (Leon Lane)

All are specialized in Ornithoctoninae with great posts regarding Haplopelma.

For others not interested in Haplopelma use the same search with keywords and usernames swapped:

Steve Nunn - Anything Austrailan or from the sub-family Selenocosmiinae
metallica - Anything Brachypelma or Mexican species related
sjl197 - Anything Mexican, Central, South American, genetics
GoTerps - Just about anything
Zoltan - Many, many great taxonomy posts with new papers and changes
Philth - Anything weird, if there was only two rare brown spiders in the country, Tom had it. Also many great posts on just about everything.

Many more just ran out of time, sorry. Good luck!

Nicolas C

Arachnosquire
Thanks Chad for your answer.

If people want to dig further, they can also visit the site of the World Spider Catalog: http://www.wsc.nmbe.ch/

Tons of free online articles on taxonomy questions are available there, you just have to visit the page of the sp. you are looking for and click on each link.

By the way Chad, I've tried the "advanced search" option exactly as you described it, but I receive always the same answer: "sorry no matches". Maybe I'm doing a mistake, or maybe the search engine doesn't work good.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Thanks Chad for your answer.

If people want to dig further, they can also visit the site of the World Spider Catalog: http://www.wsc.nmbe.ch/

Tons of free online articles on taxonomy questions are available there, you just have to visit the page of the sp. you are looking for and click on each link.

By the way Chad, I've tried the "advanced search" option exactly as you described it, but I receive always the same answer: "sorry no matches". Maybe I'm doing a mistake, or maybe the search engine doesn't work good.
The search function works perfectly. Be sure to click the the left tab to make it "Search Single Content Type" and also be sure you are clicking the correct "Search in Forums" tab. :)

PMMEYOURTs

Arachnopeon
The search function works perfectly. Be sure to click the the left tab to make it "Search Single Content Type" and also be sure you are clicking the correct "Search in Forums" tab. :)
Thank you SO MUCH for this. Im going to spend a lot of time digging deep into this and talking with the users. I'll be sure to track my progress here and hopefully turn out a useful product for the board!