Scientific Names

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Because when using scientific names we know exactly what someone is talking about. For example one guy has a tarantula that is called a chilean flame knee and he asks for information about it. He might be talking about a tarantula that is known as G. rosea. Or may be completely something different like a B. smithi. If he would have had the scientific name people would have known right off of the bat. :p

MatthewBerfield

Arachnopeon
I understand but when people like me who don't know all the scientific names yet read a post we have no idea what you are talking about. :8o

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
the flipside to this , it encourages you to dig deeper and learn.
When you read a post and dont understand the 'more experienced' keeper thats one thing...But when we read your post about your 'mexican black velvet red rump' , well who knows what that is? Makes helping a bit harder....
T

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
MatthewBerfield said:
I understand but when people like me who don't know all the scientific names yet read a post we have no idea what you are talking about. :8o
You wil learn them quickly in time. Everytime you read one you don't know do a search and read about it so next time you will. You don't have know how to say it just reconize the name.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
MatthewBerfield said:

>>CLICK HERE<< Here's an extensive list of scientific names with common names and brief description.It'll become easy the more you familiarize yourself with it.

MatthewBerfield

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all your help, it means alot that you guys will take the time to give me links to sites and explain things to me! :)

wayneo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a hard time with scientific names also when i see them written down I can picture the T, but when it comes to writing them I am sure i butcher the spelling but not nearly as much as the pronounciation.

Wayne H

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am still very new to the world of Ts & the scientific names. What I did to help me was go down a list of Ts that I am interested in buying or just really liked the looks and try to remember the scientific names of the ones I like. Then when I see a name I am not sure about often I know what family it belongs to like Gramastola or Avicultura. I still butcher the spellings. Unfortunatly I have had very poor spelling all my life.

When someone talks in scientific terms I also copy & paste the name in a search engine I have open in another window. That allows me to flip flop back & forth with an idea of the species they are talking about.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL so what exactly is the Trantillis maximus ? or the Spiderus reallyscaryus?

Jus playin...

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
LOL so what exactly is the Trantillis maximus ? or the Spiderus reallyscaryus?

Jus playin...
Uhhh yeah we would need the scientific names................................lol j/k

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think the spiderus reallyscarius is commonly known as OBT?? or perhaps a Therabig blohairsatyou (t. Blondi) lol

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
i think the spiderus reallyscarius is commonly known as OBT?? or perhaps a Therabig blohairsatyou (t. Blondi) lol
It's funny but your just going to confuse people who aren't familiar with the latin names. Just like some people that call T's birdeaters or baboon spiders.

m@rvin

Arachnopeon
Where i come from (Denmark), nobody uses the common names, only the scientiffic names. So when i was a noob, i only had the scient. name, and it took me only a couple month to now them all.

Now that im using this board.....i get confused some times, because lots of people here, uses the common name....and i dont know what they are talking about :confused:

It's crazy to think of how many common names there is for G. rosea.: chilean rose, Rose haired tarantula, chilean rose hair, ect,ect....Whats up with this????? it's much easyer to write G.rosea, i think!!! ;)

Hairyspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
re

I like the fact people use scientific names. I have learned alot, especially when doing a web search, you get a better resp, than using the common name. Also when T hunting at herp stores sometimes they have the scientific name correct but the common name is wrong or different. For instance, I passed up a P.irminia for the past two weeks at my local herp shop because they had it listed as a venezuelan tiger rump. I thought it was maybe like a costa rican tiger rump. But when I asked for it by the scientific name, they brought me to the same T I had over looked. Plus it's cool when you talk to people who don't know anything about T's, it makes you sound smarter, than you may actually be about T's :}

Later

Hairy

Citharischius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
jwb121377 said:
You wil learn them quickly in time. Everytime you read one you don't know do a search and read about it so next time you will. You don't have know how to say it just reconize the name.

Indeed , you will learn this if you want to . :) :rolleyes:

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
I've only paid attention to learning the scientific names of Ts, just seems so much easier to have one good solid name (HAHAHHAHHAHHA) to remember. I really hate it when online dealers don't list in alphabetical order by scientific name, as it makes it so much more difficult to find the ones I am looking for. Do I look for T. pruriens under Green-something or Spiny-something? Argh.

Of course, there is the fun of having one's B. pallidum turn into a B. verdezi, one's L. cristatus become an N. chromatus, etc. Enough name-tracking to deal with right there in scientific names.

One exception, I suppose... my fantasy sports teams are all named Pterrible Pterrors. OBT and Demon Cheeto are also hilarious. And since I never get to see mine, guess I have to do something to make it interesting. Perhaps "Cricket-eating Web" might be added to the list for what was Pterinochilus sp. Usambara when I got it, and is now relegated to being a P. murinus.

When is Chilobrachys sp. Asian Smoky gonna get a real name? Schmidt, oh, Schmidt...

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
David Burns said:
It's funny but your just going to confuse people who aren't familiar with the latin names. Just like some people that call T's birdeaters or baboon spiders.
Hmm, I'd personally disagree with that. "Baboon spider" and "Bird Eater" are quite valid descriptions for tarantulas because they are the name given to them by the local people.

Other examples are Asian burrowers (Earth Tigers) and Poecilotheria (Tree Tiger/Tiger spider)

morda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use scientific names when I'm talking to someone who knows this spiders. When I'm showing T's to someone who hasn't seen them ever I use just "ptasznik" (bird eater in polish).

In Poland we have many comic names. For example "terrible bird eater". Noone knows what's this. I heard that it's possibly some Ceratogyrus sp. I use only scientific names to avoid such situations.