Time to rehouse?

ciColors

Arachnopeon
Looking at my about 2.5" DLS chaco in its small KK, I am wondering if it has enough room for its next molt? What are some general guidelines on molting space?

Here's a pic:

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
It has enough room. How do you think burrowing Ts molt? Granted a rehouse would be better, but I wouldn't say it's obligatory.

cold blood

Staff member
It has plenty of room to molt, to know if it should be re-housed a pic of the full enclosure would be helpful.

Bongo Fury

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Timer
FOR TERRESTRIAL TARANTULAS
1) The shorter horizontal dimension of a cage should be at least 3 times the Diagonal Leg Span (DLS). The longer dimension is undefined. For circular and polygonal cages there is only one important dimension, the cage's diameter and it still should be at least 3 times the DLS.

2) The Clear Inside Height (CIH) of the cage is much more critical.

2a) For tarantulas less than 1.5"/38 mm (or perhaps 2"/5 cm) DLS, the CIH should not be greater than 2 or 3 times the DLS.

2b) For tarantulas larger than 1.5"/38 mm the CIH should not exceed 1.5 times the DLS.

2c) For the giant tarantulas, obese tarantulas, and very old tarantulas, the CIH should not exceed 1 times the DLS.
- Stan Schultz

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...rantula-Help&p=2175605&viewfull=1#post2175605

14pokies

Arachnoprince
FOR TERRESTRIAL TARANTULAS
1) The shorter horizontal dimension of a cage should be at least 3 times the Diagonal Leg Span (DLS). The longer dimension is undefined. For circular and polygonal cages there is only one important dimension, the cage's diameter and it still should be at least 3 times the DLS.

2) The Clear Inside Height (CIH) of the cage is much more critical.

2a) For tarantulas less than 1.5"/38 mm (or perhaps 2"/5 cm) DLS, the CIH should not be greater than 2 or 3 times the DLS.

2b) For tarantulas larger than 1.5"/38 mm the CIH should not exceed 1.5 times the DLS.

2c) For the giant tarantulas, obese tarantulas, and very old tarantulas, the CIH should not exceed 1 times the DLS.
- Stan Schultz

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...rantula-Help&p=2175605&viewfull=1#post2175605
And to think all these years I've just been eyeballing it! No wonder none of my Ts make it more than 15 years in my care... :roflmao:

Op your T has plenty of room to do its thing...

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
It'll be fine for a bit. Maybe next molt it'll need an upgrade depending on how much size it puts on.

Although might wanna re-flip that water dish XD.

ciColors

Arachnopeon
Yeah the smallest repti dish is still to big for this enclosure, so I just keep un-flipping it haha.

So I will wait until next molt, thanks for the advice. Somewhere on here I saw a kritter keeper type tank but with built in side ventilation, any idea where I might get one of those or what brand it might be?

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah the smallest repti dish is still to big for this enclosure, so I just keep un-flipping it haha.

So I will wait until next molt, thanks for the advice. Somewhere on here I saw a kritter keeper type tank but with built in side ventilation, any idea where I might get one of those or what brand it might be?
KK's, in my experience, can easily be drilled out to provide ventilation in the sides...but then you need to restrict the top ventilation almost completely.