Molt time?

OutsideAgent

Arachnopeon
I'm guessing my sling is coming up for a molt usually eats whenever foods offered however the past 4/5days he hasn't been interested, he's burrowing quite a lot and his butt is getting shinier!

I was wonder if he wasn't eating maybe due to all the moving as I have recently moved house (not sure if it would really affect him much?) but given the other facts I'm guessing he's probably just in premolt, tonight's the first day/night he's came out if his burrow for 3 days.

2015-09-01_01.16.51.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
A Pamph that doesn't eat is about to molt, actually didn't even need a pic this time....but the pic is clear conformation. It will probably molt within 48 hours if I had to make a guess.

OutsideAgent

Arachnopeon
Haha that's good to know just checking everything seems right! I'm like a kid at Christmas watching a wrapped present under the tree at least I don't need to worry about disturbing him again now, I was a bit worried about that! i had read they were good eaters and I've not been disappointed yet, he's not refused a meal until now but with the size of his abdomen he looks ready to pop!

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To me she just over weight I'm not seeing much black on that rump but I'm on cell so color might be off

cold blood

Staff member
To me she just over weight I'm not seeing much black on that rump but I'm on cell so color might be off
Its a sling, getting fat like that is no issue for growing slings, especially one as voracious as this one.

Which species of Pamph is it op?

OutsideAgent

Arachnopeon
I think she is a he :p haha it does look darker than in the picture, I was never the best photographer so that probably doesn't help haha!

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I didn't say it was issue its not looking like a molt i in 5 days

OutsideAgent

Arachnopeon
Its a sling, getting fat like that is no issue for growing slings, especially one as voracious as this one.

Which species of Pamph is it op?
As far as I'm aware it was sold to me as P.platyomma (or vitalius wacketi) :) I had read overfeeding isn't much of an issue with slings however it's different for adults, plus I'd hardly say I overfeed him

cold blood

Staff member
I think she is a he :p haha it does look darker than in the picture, I was never the best photographer so that probably doesn't help haha!
I assumed that I was looking at glare from a shiny rump....I'm sure its black as night.

---------- Post added 08-31-2015 at 08:01 PM ----------

As far as I'm aware it was sold to me as P.platyomma (or vitalius wacketi) :) I had read overfeeding isn't much of an issue with slings however it's different for adults, plus I'd hardly say I overfeed him
I always joke that if I fed my nigricolor in mid molt it might crawl back in the old exo just to eat again....I love this genus, beautiful and one of the best feeding responses I've ever seen.

OutsideAgent

Arachnopeon
There is a glare from the rump that's why I posted hahaha but in general his rump is darker it's just the flash, I don't even feel as if I'm making sense anymore, it's too late

---------- Post added 09-01-2015 at 02:24 AM ----------

Yeah it's brilliant watching them attack as well! I've been looking at other species of the genus they all look beautiful

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
They look so cute when ready to pop -- hopefully a moult soon and sling will gain some size for you!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I've photographed pre-moult t's that looked incredibly black and then when looking at the picture thought "Jeeze, it sure doesn't look THAT far along in this photo!" Of course, it is the flash that washes them out.

OutsideAgent

Arachnopeon
Still no moult yet he's went back to his burrow, maybe he just wanted to see his new surroundings

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
looks like it could be in pre-molt, once it starts flicking hairs all over the place then usually it will molt that day/night or next, keep a lookout.

OutsideAgent

Arachnopeon
Still waiting but his wee bum is getting darker everyday so should hopefully molt within the next week :) I'm taking it each species has different average periods for premolt etc? Or does it just depend purely on the individual? Either Or I wouldn't mind someone giving me some info on molting of pamphobeteus T's :)

cold blood

Staff member
Pamphs are just like any t, you just need to wait and be patient.

You'll be impressed with the growth when it does, it's legs will appear to almost double.

If its getting blacker that tells me it wasn't glare from a shiny rump I was seeing earlier, but just shine from the light. You'll notice not only the rump blackening and getting shiny, but also the femurs. When you see it start to web, its really close.

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
damn

we could have totally bet money on this

48 hour vs 5 days molt hahah

it will be easy to unfold the exuvia after molt to look for spermatheca with all the stretched flab hahha, you will need a good magnifying glass or something similar

OutsideAgent

Arachnopeon
No problem there I have a new microscope on the way and a USB one for now with good specs and a few magnifying glasses lying about :) I think he's male cause of the epiandrous fusilae I posted a couple of pics in the gallery but I could be wrong :) maybe he knows how excited I am so he's deliberately taking as long as he can ;)

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like your signature btw

and which brand of microscope did you get?
I got the cheap one Amscope from Amazon.com
it is okay does what I want to do with it. i need to get overhead lighting set up though.