The Ruckus (a short story)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Having a giant spider has been on my list since I got into the hobby, and about six months ago, I was perusing my favorite exotic pet shop and came across a killer deal – an adult female T. stirmi for $75US. The back-and-forth phase lasted about thirty seconds before I was at the front asking them to unlock the cabinet that the arthropods were kept in. The owner, who also breeds tarantulas, came very close to being bit while trying to get her in a catch cup. This should have been my first clue, but I ignored it, chalking it up to a temperamental tarantula. At the time, I had an A. geniculate, a P. murinus, and a very defensive C. darling. I could handle this, especially with a slow, lumbering tarantula. I then learned she wasn’t slow, at least not in short distances.

Unfortunately for both her and myself, I had very little experience with species requiring high-humidity. I intentionally built my collection on arid, or at least very low humidity, species. Getting the right humidity while avoiding mold was a huge challenge for me, and this involved several trial and error scenarios that required me entering her lair. I finally found a perfect way to avoid mold; a large, shallow glass dish was to be filled with moss and moistened. No chance of substrate molding, and it held onto water like a cactus. Randomly wetting other parts of the substrate routinely kept her happy as a spider in a hole. Once I got the humidity down, her giant terracotta hide began to mold. Finding a suitable replacement involved browsing Home Depot for an hour trying to figure something out – salvation came in the form of a cylinder valve box. Sturdy plastic, very deep, very dark, perfect diameter. As a side note, I very highly recommend these as hides for very large spiders, so long as you don’t mind the terrible look.

Imagine my excitement. I was finally done, I had the swing of this. Now I only needed to sit back, feed her juicy roaches, and enjoy my giant spider. I even had ventilation holes right above her moss dish to allow for humidity control without taking off the lid. Sure, she was still extremely aggressive when I did have to enter the enclosure, but this was not something I couldn’t deal with. If she threw a threat posture or tried to steal the paintbrush (which is taped to a long dowel to allow for more space between her and I), then I knew that today was not the day to mess with her. Try again the next day, she scurries to her hide, and all is well. During the day, she is a pet rock so long as I leave her alone. She happily sits atop her moss dish, or at the opening to her hide, and does a lot of nothing. She ferociously eats, demolishing anything foolish enough to crawl close to her. She has quickly become one of my favorite spiders.

Except for the noise. Note that I mentioned she’s great during the day. But then night hits. She's apparently part wolf spider, because she spends the first few hours of darkness wandering; plucking at the holes in her acrylic lid, scratching the sides of her enclosure, and generally just working out for some marathon I missed the memo on. Given that her enclosure is fairly close to my bed, this matters. "Fine," I thought, "She's a spider. She's nocturnal, I get it. It's part of the hobby.”

And then the hissing started. After her wandering phase, and only about once per week, she'll just sit there at the opening of her hide and hiss. And hiss. And hiss. This goes on for up to an hour until she finally stops and calms down for the night. At the risk of anthropomorphizing her, I’m beginning to believe that she’s scolding me. “I was your guinea pig,” she hisses, “You learned at my expense, and I will absolutely bite you if ever given the chance. Now keep the roaches coming, Food God.”

My spider is kind of a jerk, is what I'm saying.

Attachments

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My spider is kind of a jerk, is what I'm saying.

They did not spend the last several thousand years evolving in homes. What they did evolve was physical and behavioral adaptations to best survive in their rainforest habitat. Maybe domestication will come at some point in the future.

Amimia

Arachnosquire
I listen to music while I sleep so I didn't even notice all the hissing my T. stirmi produces until one day I broke my headphones :biggrin: Mine sounds exactly like yours, all the scuffling, hissing, etc. Mine particularly likes to tap on the sides. T. stirmis are funny. And I love them

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I personally love the hissing. Its a very alien thing for spiders to make sound, especially when it's that loud. And, if nothing else, it's another defense for them - my stirmi often hisses first, kicks hairs second. I'll take the harmless hissing over that hair any day.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
That's a nice looking T and a funny story. I just have one question though, you have a water dish filled with moss for her humidity. Where did you get the moss? Dollar store moss tends to have dyes in it. Potentially toxic dyes.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That's a nice looking T and a funny story. I just have one question though, you have a water dish filled with moss for her humidity. Where did you get the moss? Dollar store moss tends to have dyes in it. Potentially toxic dyes.
I don't use moss for my tropicals so i can't help much but i know Exo Terra brand have moss for sale.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
75 $ for a female Theraphosa sp. is a great and honest price.
Great, yes. But honest? I dont think so. Very few people breed Theraphosa spp., and most stirmi are still WC, hence their lower price compared to the other 2. An honest price would be around the 140 mark I think, Im not sure how its in the US. They are very pricey for some big brown spiders, but theres a reason to that. Strangely, a lot of people are interested in them, Im guessing just for the sheer size, that coupled with hard breeding and few people doing it is the reason for their prices. I know arachnids are banned in Italy, but Im sure at least someone sells Ts under the table, do you know what their price is there?

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Brilliant story and nice T,Stirmi.

I got mine at 3" for £40 now he's 5"+.

when i first got him he was very calm and never hissed or flicked hairs etc, now molted a few months back and fuk he bites at everything plus puts sub in the water dish :-(

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Great, yes. But honest? I dont think so. Very few people breed Theraphosa spp., and most stirmi are still WC, hence their lower price compared to the other 2. An honest price would be around the 140 mark I think, Im not sure how its in the US. They are very pricey for some big brown spiders, but theres a reason to that. Strangely, a lot of people are interested in them, Im guessing just for the sheer size, that coupled with hard breeding and few people doing it is the reason for their prices. I know arachnids are banned in Italy, but Im sure at least someone sells Ts under the table, do you know what their price is there?
It's hard to explain because yes, T's are banned in Italy since 2003, but there's also authorized fairs here and then (next would be this month) here:
http://www.reptilesday.eu

Granted, there's breeders (and some skilled ones, btw) here but the hobby was always an "Elite circle" one before ban.. go figure after.. in some way this is better (meaning no handling fools, "OBT'S" and other OW'S impulsive buyers etc) but, of course, after the ban, prices went a bit higher (in general, so not only for Theraphosa sp.)

However Theraphosa sp. always (and still today) cost IMO too much here for me, an exageration. I would have bought a female (and sexed female only, so not a sling) Theraphosa sp. for 75 $ in no time, like OP did, seriously (after a good inspection, of course.. mites, if the T is healty, if eats etc).

Yeah, they are giants, not easy to breed from what i know and as you said, only few do.. plus IMO Theraphosa sp. embodied for decades the "T" archetypus for a lot of people (especially not T's owners included) because that T is perfectly "hairy, giant, defensive" etc but also a "Queen" Baboon (i don't like males Pelinobius muticus) is, except for hairs.. as well "LP" and a lot of other T's, maybe not so big or defensive.

I was near to have one once, a guy offered me a female Theraphosa apophysis for 190 Euro (so a bit less on the range, here). Tought a minute then i saw a brand new Nintendo Wii U black version on offer, and the nerd inside me decided.
I want a T.. not another console, that's the reason i refuse to spend 200/250 Euro for a, probably, WC Theraphosa sp.

I refuse to spend more than 60 Euro for female T's. With 200 Euro at least i could have 5 female "Pookies", metallica regalis and ornata included but i'm not into arboreals, i prefer OBT'S and Baboon in general.

My collection is made, today - had lot of "Haplos" and few Chilobrachys sp. in the past - by NW intermediate such Ephebopus sp. Baboons and some "beginner" T's i receive for free here and then. Only arboreals are "Psalmos" because they have written "freebie" all over the opisthosoma.

Last edited:

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
True..I got a good deal for my T,Stirmi at £40 for 3" but seen them go around £70-80 for 5"+ etc, hard to find a MF or MM here in Perth, unless I looked at the class fields.

cheaper buying an LP/L,klugi cause they get to similar sizes and far easier to find.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Nope, I use farmed sphagnum moss. A lot of herp keepers use it because it lets off moisture fairly quickly, the downside being that you need to water it down more often. It doesn't hold moisture as well as peat moss, although it doesn't seem to mold nearly as easily (at all, actually, in my experience).

Concerning her price, I can't say I'm very worldly on the cost of these outside of my little state in the US. I've seen juveniles a third her size go for the same price at Expos from big name dealers. It seems like the average cost, from what I've seen, is about $75US for a 3"-5" dls. I very much doubt that she was wild caught, however - for the spiders that this shops sells, either the owner himself bred them or he got them from KenTheBugGuy, Jamie's Tarantulas, or a huge local breeder here in Nevada who's name escapes me.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Funny read! I'll say that my C. fimbriatus female occasionally does this during nighttime, but only if I threw in a feeder before bed. None of mine makes any noises really, except for the general tapping of adult specimen on occasion. Enjoy you T :)