Hazardous Trees - Contributions welcome

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I was thinking (surprise surprise) that it would be handy to have a thread of trees and tree material that should be used with caution if used at all in terrariums. I'm going to start this off of the few that I know and others can add to the list. From a search engine perspective it would be handy for additional posts to list, if possible, both common and Latin names.
PLEASE NOTE!! Trees ONLY. If we go into plants in general the list is going to expand beyond bovine fart volume output in days.
This is to help people keep informed as to what forest products may find their way into your terrarium.

Redwood, Sequoia. Toxic. Bark and wood contains an acidic biocide.
Pines, Pinus. Irritant, repellant. Contains volatile oils.
Black Walnut, Juglandaceae. Toxic. Contains juglone known to be toxic to many plants and some animals.
Laurel, Lauraceae. Irritant, repellant, volatile oils (Camphor).
Spruce, Pinus genus. Volatile oils. Wood known to resist shipworms.
Cedar, Pinus. Volatile oils. Repellant, irritant.
... for a start.

[SUB]Just a something to keep in mind. Nearly all forest products, tree origin, are from huge tree processing companies. These companies make their money destroying the environment. They are top flight professionals at manipulating and distorting regulations and laws. In short, there is nothing to keep them from mixing up safe and harmful woods and wood products or even adding known toxins, herbicides, fungicides (VERY common) or outright biocides to their products. From much bitter experience by many people around the world, the forest industries folks are not yours or your animals friends.[/SUB]

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Cashew, Pistachio and Sumac, Anacardiaceae. Contains urushiol. Irritant, allergenic. Also found in Mango wood and laquerware. Pistachio nut shells should be strictly avoided as substrate components.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good idea, I believe Redwoods and Seqs. are both types of cedars if I recall correctly.