Interesting cocoon.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Nice pic, I can't tell you what it is but hope you find out.

If you haven't already? try researching the insects that cocoon around your area or look for examples of cocoons this could be from.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
That's not a cocoon. I'm not sure what it is, but it's not a cocoon. Try posting on bugguide.net. There are people on there that have knowledge of insects beyond just the hobby.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Belle Fury is correct, a leafcutter bee put that together. They are around here too, they cut out part of a circle in leaves, they make something that looks like a mini, short burrito with an egg inside and put them in-line like in the pic. They like the Redbud trees around here.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Coolio if its a leafcutter Bee/something elce then you should put it back outside, if you haven't already?.

on the other hand until it emerges you can look up the site from the poster above ^ and get more research done, sounds like a good project.

Liverwort

Arachnopeon
You might want to put it back in nature. Mason bees make a much larger difference in pollination than honeybees, and you know how important those are now... Awesome find though!

Alternatively, you can make or buy a Mason bee house and place it nearby. I've wanted one for a long time.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You might want to put it back in nature. Mason bees make a much larger difference in pollination than honeybees, and you know how important those are now... Awesome find though!

Alternatively, you can make or buy a Mason bee house and place it nearby. I've wanted one for a long time.
I never knew people made houses for these until I looked at pictures, pretty cool, something to do if you like bees.

JavaJacketOC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've now watched about 10 videos on mason and leaf cutter bees thanks to this thread...if I had stuff to pollinate I would be ordering some mason bees next year, lol. Such an interesting process.