UTH on incubator?

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Tried searching about it.

Should i not be using one? mornings my T room gets pretty cool.

Currently using half the heater on the bottom farthest from the T's. Its a hammock style with the tuperware "sterilite lock lids".

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Maybe specifying what an UTH is would help? I personally have no idea, but it's not a subject I could help with anyway.

Prle

Arachnopeon
Maybe it could be used, but I think it's much better to place it on the side of incubator. Also, you can mount potentiometer or dimmer (if it don't have one already mounted) to regulate current that goes to the UTH and that way you can control generated temperature.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Well by now you know the risk of useing heating pads so use good judgement... If you do I would suggest taking prle's advice and use a dimmer...

You don't have an electric space heater?

cold blood

Staff member
A water bath with a simple aquarium heater would be safe and easy. I used to heat all my slings this way. Very economical, too.

Prle

Arachnopeon
UTH IS under tank heating pad.
Yes, I asked you in pm about UTH (I didn't know what that abbreviation means) and you told me it is under-tank heater. But I think that doesn't means it must be placed under tank strictly.
If you place it on the side of the tank / incubator slings will have cooler and warmer side - options where to go if it is to cold or to hot. Otherwise, if it is mounted under incubator, all generated heat will go up towards the lead and slings will be constantly exposed to the heat.

Also, I think that @Cold blood's idea about aquarium heater in water bath is excellent.

awiec

Arachnoprince
A water bath with a simple aquarium heater would be safe and easy. I used to heat all my slings this way. Very economical, too.
Plus there are all sort of cool floatys (or boring old styrofoam) you can get for water heaters. We use a slightly more fancy apparatus for DNA/RNA extraction in the lab, we have a collection of rubber duckies just for throwing into the water incubator cause we're really bored scientist.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
I have used a UTH with good results if you float your hammock rig in an inch of water in a 10 gal. aquarium.It not only keeps it warm,it keeps the humidity in the 90"% range.I have a plexiglass lid cut to fit the 10 gal.

cold blood

Staff member
I have used a UTH with good results if you float your hammock rig in an inch of water in a 10 gal. aquarium.It not only keeps it warm,it keeps the humidity in the 90"% range.I have a plexiglass lid cut to fit the 10 gal.
Yeah, a heat bath:wink:

I do think the accuracy of aquarium heaters provide a better heat source as they won't ever exceed the set number.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Yeah, a heat bath:wink:

I do think the accuracy of aquarium heaters provide a better heat source as they won't ever exceed the set number.
I can attest that they will not let you down, I have a little one in a 55 gallon saltwater tank and the water is always the acceptable range for my corals; the spiders will be just fine.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
Yeah an aquarium heater would work,too,and you can set them for a certain temp.The setup I use with the UTH never exceeds 84 deg. or so,it's all about using the right size,mine is the smallest one that brand makes.