"mommy, there's a tarantula in the hallway"

KristinaMG

Arachnosquire
Not what I expected to hear when my 5-year old woke me up this morning! Turned out to be one of the slings. 1 inch Haplopelma sp. pumkin patch. He has bolted out when I was feeding/watering twice already. This time he must have squeezed through the air holes. He hasn't been named yet but I'm thinking Houdini would be appropriate.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not what I expected to hear when my 5-year old woke me up this morning! Turned out to be one of the slings. 1 inch Haplopelma sp. pumkin patch. He has bolted out when I was feeding/watering twice already. This time he must have squeezed through the air holes. He hasn't been named yet but I'm thinking Houdini would be appropriate.
Not good! Specially when your 5 year old has to tell you about an escape. Now you have to do some different type of housing for your spider so it doesn't happen again.

In the past I have made mistakes of not closing the lid correctly/properly and had an escape. Welcome to our inner circle of making mistakes.

Last edited:

Methal

Arachnosquire
=) I get this every time one my kids see one of my T's molts.

"Daddy theres a BIG spider on your spider cage!!"

KristinaMG

Arachnosquire
You meant Hapalopus sp. :p ;) glad it didn't disappear though, remember, if the Ts carapace can fit through the hole, it's whole body would too :)
Yes, thanks. Got my H's mixed up.

This particular sling was just rehoused, I didn't think to check the size of the air holes on the new container since I never had an issue with the previous resident of the new container or the size of my air holes in general.

awiec

Arachnoprince
They do that, mine (bf nicknamed him Agent Orange) had jumped onto me a few times and was always trying to get out of the cage every time I opened it. Unfortunately the little bugger was not fast enough to not be eaten by a female.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
Lol one of my A. avics is named Houdini for the same reason. Thankfully my only escapee early on and it was just chilling on a pillow. Taught me never to underestimate their abilities at least.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
In the past I have made mistakes of not closing the lid correctly/properly and had an escape. Welcome to our inner circle of making mistakes.
Yep! That happened to me not too long ago with my G. pulchripes. I thought it was a goner, but fortunately it had not traveled very far and I spotted it. They seldom miss an opportunity, I think.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I would of told him to grab a catch cup....You gotta train the kiddy's better... My sons know not to wake me up unless they see a mamba roaming the house.

Pff amateurs. :tongue:

cold blood

Staff member
I would of told him to grab a catch cup....You gotta train the kiddy's better... My sons know not to wake me up unless they see a mamba roaming the house.
Have they had to wake you yet??:?

awiec

Arachnoprince

My spider biologist teacher's little girl became really good at spotting spiders (since she is under 3 foot) so my teacher takes her along on collection trips; gotta utilize what you have.

KristinaMG

Arachnosquire

It was my daughter. She did exactly right, which was to get adult supervision first. :) She is actually freakin awesome with this stuff. With her I have to gently enforce some distance when it comes to the Ts, because she is absolutely fearless and picks up spiders, bees, snakes, crayfish, you name it outside. We had to teach her and her brother *not* to touch the Ts.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
My spider biologist teacher's little girl became really good at spotting spiders (since she is under 3 foot) so my teacher takes her along on collection trips; gotta utilize what you have.
Sort of amazing the modern world is catching up to third world common sense sometimes. Want to go critter collecting in the hills? Hire a few kids from the local hilltribe. Not only top flight pros in spotting critters, they are usually hands down better at grabs without doing damage. I once got a big black T in my face with a grinning little girl holding it, asking, 'Khun ow, mai?'. You want, no? (You have to say yes. If you say no they stick the critters in their pockets and bags to cook over the camp fire in the evening)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Sort of amazing the modern world is catching up to third world common sense sometimes. Want to go critter collecting in the hills? Hire a few kids from the local hilltribe. Not only top flight pros in spotting critters, they are usually hands down better at grabs without doing damage. I once got a big black T in my face with a grinning little girl holding it, asking, 'Khun ow, mai?'. You want, no? (You have to say yes. If you say no they stick the critters in their pockets and bags to cook over the camp fire in the evening)
I remember when I was small my grandfather would have me go collect all the tent catapillars off his fruit trees into a milk jug, I'd get 25 cents for every 100 I could get.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes, in Tunisia and Egypt i remember childrens took lots of yellow scorpions bare handed, just for pics, show off.. money. Smiling, with no problems.