Most valuable tarantula accessory?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Excluding enclosures, what would you consider your most valuable tarantula accessory? My vote goes to to a nice long pair of tongs. This dawned on me when I was removing the water container from my LP enclosure and she showed some attitude. Looking ahead, I had ordered them while my t's were all small s'lings and today I thought as I took out the water container, "Man, that was money well-spent!"

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I'd say my disc forceps, they're my absolute favorite tool for feeding and maintenance. I have the over-sized tweezers as well, but they're so awkward to work with--I mostly just use them for guiding Ts into catch cups and such, which is the same purpose my long plastic stick of indeterminate origin serves so.

cold blood

Staff member
A working brain. Some people get tripped up early:unsure:

In terms of tools, I'd say a toss up between the tweezers (I have 6 of differing length and shape) and the syringe.

Tweezers are the best for when I need to go in, say to pick a bolus or exo, but the syringe allows be to do a lot more without ever opening the cage and it doesn't spook the t while doing so, most are so at ease that they strike the stream repeatedly, which they don't do nearly as often when I actually open the cage.

Third just might be a 1/4" drill bit. It allows me to drill ventilation holes small enough for medium to large t's to remain easily contained (hehe), yet large enough for me to deliver prey items through. Often they take it as its being moved through the hole....again, I don't have to even open a corner to feed, just put a cricket/super or whatever right through near the t....no spooking and nearly always instant results, like tackling the water when they don't know I'm there. I just hold worms there with a tweezers and let them take it, and don't have to worry about a broken fang because the tweezers remain on the outside of the enclosure.

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I'll add handled fishnet for slings; but catch-cup, tongs and paintbrush are all necessaries too. Also, stiff piece of paper for catching escaped Ts -- easier than lid when retrieving escapees and 'visiting true spiders.'

varanoid

Arachnopeon
Not trying to be a smart-ass but my hands. They allow me to use any assesory. And why I'm so careful not to get bit. But long tweezers are a close second

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The tweezers are nice, but the discovery of terracotta pots as hides is one of the best revelations I've had in this hobby. Tarantulas seem to love the feel of them, they very rarely mold, and they're dirt cheap. The only catch is that you need to go to a craft store for the deep ones, as the standard sizes just aren't deep enough for good hides.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
cannot decide between a good pair of tongs and a soldering kit. Something therapeutic watching plastic melt.

Nicolas C

Arachnosquire
I second everything that has been said. And I'd add a drinking straw (don't know if it's the right word in english... the accessory you use to drink a coca, for instance?) that I've customised (longer than usual), very helpful either to gently blow, or to push the T without any risk that she might break a fang.

GG80

Arachnoknight
Yep, long tongs/tweezers and syringe. Great for a skittish T like my >3" Lp. I only need to open the lid a small bit to do my maintanence and give water.
I like the long drinking straw idea aswell for gently directing a T. I must try it on the next rehousing.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Excluding enclosures, what would you consider your most valuable tarantula accessory? My vote goes to to a nice long pair of tongs. This dawned on me when I was removing the water container from my LP enclosure and she showed some attitude. Looking ahead, I had ordered them while my t's were all small s'lings and today I thought as I took out the water container, "Man, that was money well-spent!"
Agreed, Tim. A pair of long tongs, lots of spare deli cups, and a long syringe or two to fill the water dishes. You can't go wrong. :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My 6" forceps. I do all my cage maintenance with them. Keeps my fingers out of harm's way (even B smithi will leap on prey in the blink of an eye), and I can pick up, and place, things with a minimum of disruption. Fingers are clumsy and can't get in tight spots. I don't like tongs or tweezers, I can't pick up things as well with them.